• ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Hope you are correct.
    No , i know. Carried both at given times but the RAMI is 1.3 inches wide , the shield / shield plus are both 1 inch wide guns. At least with my build (medium height and slim) I carry roughly 1 inch wide guns (P365, 1911) due to concielabity.

Also side note on the RAMI, shame on CZ for not making decent magazines for that gun, it should have a system symilar to the P365 or Glock series

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    How is it that your thumb is near the beavertail? And what hole? I'm just curious.
    Prolly this one.

shield.jpg

I think you'd have to have really fluffy hands for that hole to irritate the base of your thumb.
    Or maybe the roll pin is sticking out a bit.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Prolly this one.

shield.jpg

I think you'd have to have really fluffy hands for that hole to irritate the base of your thumb.
    Or maybe the roll pin is sticking out a bit.
    Ah, okay. Different things affect different hands. I know I couldn't shoot a CZ P10C even after trying 3 different triggers.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Ah, okay. Different things affect different hands. I know I couldn't shoot a CZ P10C even after trying 3 different triggers.
    Trigger sting/slap? I don't get that on my CZ P10c, but I had an HK VP9 that I got bad trigger sting from. Sold it pretty quick.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Trigger sting/slap? I don't get that on my CZ P10c, but I had an HK VP9 that I got bad trigger sting from. Sold it pretty quick.
    Yeah, that was it. I think the trigger guard on those was too small for the way my finger worked the trigger. Occasionally I shoot a couple friends P10C's and I'm only good for one mag.

I remember talking to a rep at HBI triggers when I asked to return their trigger. The rep made a comment about the design of trigger guards being something they can't control.

SouthernStar25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 6, 2013
    West Of The Fields
    Just had the chance to have my first range session with the Plus. I put 150 rounds of S&B 115 gr. through it and it ran flawlessly. Everything that has been said about the trigger on the Plus thus far is definitely true. It is beyond smooth and feels as good as any Performance Center trigger I've come across.

It feels great in the hand as well. The grip texture is not quite as aggressive as that on the 2.0.

IMHO, S&W hit this one way out of the park.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I don't know what I would gain with one of these over my 43x with S15 mags but I still kind of want one.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I don't know what I would gain with one of these over my 43x with S15 mags but I still kind of want one.
    This is where I'm at, except with my P365 and my Glock 48. The Shield Plus with the 10 round mag is bigger than my P365x with its 12 round mag, and with the Shield Plus 13 round mag it is as tall as my Glock 48 with S15 mags or P365 with its 15 round mag. I'm sure I'd like a Shield Plus, as I'm a big M&P fan and already own a Shield 45. I just don't have a role for it except "something different and cool." Plus I'd have to buy a holster, extra mags, and night sights.

If a standard Shield was my EDC and I was happy with it, I'd be snapping up a Shield Plus in a heartbeat, though.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I haven't gotten to the range yet but I spent some time juggling my M&P9s this weekend.

Shield vs Shield Plus: I got my gen 1 Shield used off INGO with an NP3 coated slide, TFO Pro sights and I believe Apex trigger internals. The trigger is crisp but with a slightly longer pull than the Shield Plus. The grip size is effectively identical. I like the texture of the Plus but still wish it was slightly thicker, ,maybe half the difference between it and the sub-compact. I have a Hogue slip on grip on my gen 1 and this is about perfect.

Conclusion: Unless I can't shoot the Plus at all for some reason it will definitely replace my gen 1 as a primary summer carry. Except for capacity the two are on par with each other. I'll likely keep the gen 1, it will find a use somewhere. BTW, I hate both with flat based mags. My 7 rnd gen 1 mag has an extended base plate and the Plus 10 round mag is going to live in the box.

Now my challenge will be to decide if I need bot a sub-compact and a compact 3.6. The small grip difference between the standard compact w/15 rnd mag and the sub-compact with a 12 rnd mag + extended base pad is virtually nill. I need to get a 4" compact to join the fight...cause I have a problem.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I'm thinking if I get one of these that it could make my 2.0 Compact obsolete. 14rds vs 16rds is negligible when you compare how much difference there is in size between the 2. Only reason I have the compact is cause the shield only held 9rds.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Picked up my Shield Plus today. It will be Friday at the earliest that I can get out to the range to fire it.

Here are my initial thoughts and observations:
    1. It is noticeably thicker in the grip. Very nice. The original had this kinda skinny feel to it that accentuated the front to back feel. Hard to describe but the Plus just feels like it fills more of your hand.

2. The extended mag release doesn't make it any easier to drop the mag than the original. This could be that it is not nearly as smooth as my current.

3. The slides appear to be identical. I can swap them no problem.

4. The trigger is not near as smooth or is the reset as tactile as my current. This could be due to number of rounds down range, installing the Apex USB in my original, polishing some of the contact points or a combination. I did notice that the trigger felt much better when I put my original slide on it.

5. Grip texture really feels the same as my current. My current was a little rougher when new, but has "softened" with use.

6. Mags are too loose to stick in my mag holders for my 2.0 Compact. I wonder what mag holders will work?

7. Some reviewers commented that the Cerakoted frame made the pistol look "cheaper" compared to the older ones. It is a bit more matte than my current, but when I first bought mine it was matte also. Handling it, shooting it and cleaning it has imparted a higher sheen to it. I'm imagine this one will do the same.

8. Trigger pull averaged 4 lbs 11 oz, the same as my current Shield

It is really not fair to compare a pistol with 1000's of rounds through it to one that has had one round fired. As long as the new trigger doesn't give me some kind of "trigger sting", I am sure I will like this pistol as much as I like my current Shield, only 3-5 rounds better! :)

Stay tuned for a range report!

Shield Plus.jpg

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So....it was a little slow this morning and I didn't have any conference calls on the schedule for today and the weather was so nice... I just had to run up to the range and shoot a few rounds just to see if the darn thing worked.

I will need to add my"touch" to dial it in the way I want, but it worked fine. I will have to get used to the trigger. I am not a fan of triggers that have a dingus but I think I can condition myself and my finger for this one.

I'll go back Friday and run my usual drills and see what my thoughts are after I'm done.

Last edited:

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    I shot mine today and am not sure how much I like it. It was a rushed shoot as everyone was getting ready for Easter egg hunts but sent 2 mags through and it is still very stiff.

Top Bottom