• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    well when your lost/camping/surviving in the woods and just used your last bullet on shooting dinner and have to make a shelter but your first thrust/chop with your cheap knife breaks the blade or cuts your hand and you have no finger and or shelter, I bet you'll be glad you spent that extra money on a good gun;)

True, but if your like me and enjoy swapping out carry knives all the time, you don't want to be paying $50-100 a pop. There isn't anything wrong with the "cheaper" S&W knifes. They are great for what they are meant for, general every day uses.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    yes there is something wrong with cheaper knives...QUALITY! and S&W knives are great for what most S&W knife owners use them for, mall ninjaing and cutting tape.;)

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    The sad part is I had a guy comeinto my work and see my knife and say ya man i carry a smith and wesson knife and he was way too proud of it and he was in the military. Just kinda sad

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    it doesn't state it on their website.

oh, I know, I looked at your link. The one I have says on one side of the blade thats the material.

SO is it good? I dont think it probably is. Why do I say that with out actually knowing much about knife steel?? Wellllllll, I sharpened my cheapie S&W and my dad's Emerson MC. The S&W had noticeable material removal from the sharpening process, where the Emerson looked like I never touched it.

I really kind of expected it. ;)

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I've never had a problem with the S&W knives I've owned. They work for how they were intended. Not the most expensive or prettiest in the world...but I've been known to lose a knife now and then. I'm not out several hundred dollars if I do. The S&W Border Guard works well for me.

If it comes down to you and I hand fighting up close and personal...I can shove it (or the $20 S&W neck knife I carry) between your ribs just as easily as that $900 Arizona Custom you might carry (however that might make yours a prettier corpse). :dunno: You still bleed red until you bleed out. :twocents:

SW-BGB.jpg

83g.jpg

0.gif

Last edited:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I've never had a problem with the S&W knives I've owned. They work for how they were intended. Not the most expensive or prettiest in the world...but I've been known to lose a knife now and then. I'm not out several hundred dollars if I do. The S&W Border Guard works well for me.

If it comes down to you and I hand fighting up close and personal...I can shove it (or the $20 S&W neck knife I carry) between your ribs just as easily as that $900 Arizona Custom you might carry (however that might make yours a prettier corpse). :dunno: You still bleed red until you bleed out. :twocents:

SW-BGB.jpg

0.gif

cheap knives can kill as easy as expensive knives, sure. but are odds great to "shove it between my ribs" or more likely to have to cut a heavy zip tie? ok. now. have you ever tried to cut a heavy (i heavy one. not the little common ones. the .5" wide ones). if you do. be careful. the lock is a POS on the $20 knife. :twocents:

oh, and i will ALSO bet that the "SnW" knife will not survive as many stabs into soft tissue and bone and muscle as a quality blade. and stabbing someone in the ribs is one of the less effective things you can do with an edged or pointed weapon. just saying. :twocents:

Last edited:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    cheap knives can kill as easy as expensive knives, sure. but are odds great to "shove it between my ribs" or more likely to have to cut a heavy zip tie? ok. now. have you ever tried to cut a heavy (i heavy one. not the little common ones. the .5" wide ones). if you do. be careful. the lock is a POS on the $20 knife. :twocents:
    This what I carry a Gerber or Leatherman tool for. I carry a knife (or generally knives) as a weapon for self-defense.

oh, and i will ALSO bet that the "SnW" knife will not survive as many stabs into soft tissue and bone and muscle as a quality blade. and stabbing someone in the ribs is one of the less effective things you can do with an adged or pointed weapon. just saying. :twocents:
    It only takes once. Oh...I didn't say the knife was just going straight in. ;)

I understand your point (no pun). I just never felt like paying a ton for a knife. It just never made sense to me, personally...I lose them too frequently...and I'm cheap. ;) I have a couple of CRKT knives I've paid around $50 each for...that darn near killed me. :stretcher: And if I lose one I'll be :xmad:.

S&W has never failed me...but I understand many people won't agree. :cheers:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    This what I carry a Gerber or Leatherman tool for. I carry a knife (or generally knives) as a weapon for self-defense.

It only takes once. Oh...I didn't say the knife was just going straight in. ;)

I understand your point (no pun). I just never felt like paying a ton for a knife. It just never made sense to me, personally...I lose them too frequently...and I'm cheap. ;) I have a couple of CRKT knives I've paid around $50 each for...that darn near killed me. :stretcher: And if I lose one I'll be :xmad:.

S&W has never failed me...but I understand many people won't agree. :cheers:

hahahaha!! yeah, that LURCH you get when you touch your pocket and the knife isn't there!!! i know that feeling!!! :laugh: i have been VERY lucky so far...

and i completely understand not wanting to spend big $$$ on a knife. most people never will. the ONLY thing i worry about is ones safety when using a tool...... and it being an effective tool. i'm glad it has done well by you. as i said before, mine did well by me for a long time..... but also, i have broken similiar knives to it with light duty work.... not to mention the ones i've broken on purpose. :popcorn:

and... it could always be worse!!! it could be a Cold Steal!!! :laugh:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Top Bottom