• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    savage-arms-mark-1-matte-black-left-hand-bolt-action-rifle-22-long-rifle-21in-1784206-1.jpg
    Recently wandered into a gun shop and saw a Savage Mark 1 for sale. It is a single shot bolt action .22 with Williams peep sights. It was brand new with the original box for less than $230. Looked like a fun rifle to take to the range so I bought it.

images (1) (1).jpeg
    A few months ago, I found a Winchester Mdl 67 at a local shop for $125. I've worked on a bunch of them over the years for the Amish. They were usually barn guns that were rusty and had never been cleaned. This one fit that description. It will get a detailed cleaning and refinish the stock with Tru-oil.

I used to own a Mossberg 42B with peep sights. It helped me slow down and focus on the basics. Anyone else into single shot .22's?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    View attachment 272073
    Recently wandered into a gun shop and saw a Savage Mark 1 for sale. It is a single shot bolt action .22 with Williams peep sights. It was brand new with the original box for less than $230. Looked like a fun rifle to take to the range so I bought it.

View attachment 272079
    A few months ago, I found a Winchester Mdl 67 at a local shop for $125. I've worked on a bunch of them over the years for the Amish. They were usually barn guns that were rusty and had never been cleaned. This one fit that description. It will get a detailed cleaning and refinish the stock with Tru-oil.

I used to own a Mossberg 42B with peep sights. It helped me slow down and focus on the basics. Anyone else into single shot .22's?

I do like peep sights.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I really want to find a Steven's favorite. Just seems to me to be a wonderful squirrel rifle for closer shots.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I used to have a few BSA Martini Internationals. Let them go because I just wasn’t using them, but I REALLY wish I’d kept the MKII. They’re phenomenally accurate and very fun to shoot!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Only single shot I have is a Winchester 67. Bought it in a pawn shop in Hinesville Ga for $16. It was in very rough shape and needed a good cleaning. After cleaning out years of crud from the bolt and barrel, it actually shoots quite well. Way more fun than you'd think, that long barrel makes standard velocity very quiet, plus one shot at a time makes a box of ammo last a long time. Mine has accounted for more than a few squirrels and varmints.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have several single shot .22's and enjoy every one.
    I have a single shot lever action falling block style .22lr that bears the name Ted Williams.
    Many people don't know who that is now but he was quite the athlete in his day.
    I also have a Winchester model 1885 Low wall that started life as a .22short.
    Sometime ago, and long before I purchased it, someone rebarreled it with a Winchester model 52 barrel in .22lr. It was very well done and bedded in a benchrest style stock.
    So, I own a Winchester Low wall in .22lr. that doesn't look like any other Low wall.
    That has to be one of my favorite guns to shoot, even though it's only a single shot .22lr.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Have you guys seen this yet? I got to coonfinger one at the NRA convention and it’s pretty slick. It’s on my shortlist to buy:

794a4c538dac503e22db9cfd6273279b.jpg
    Last year, I picked up a Savage Rascal for a future project of turning it into a "survival rifle". I trust Savage a lot more than Chiappa.

images (1) (8).jpeg
    Friend gave me a Rossi break-open .22 rifle that was missing the forearm. I installed one from an H&R Handi-rifle and mounted a scope. It is a handy and accurate little rifle that may end up being my .22 truck gun.

Attachments

• 10327644.jpeg
      10327644.jpeg
      35.5 KB · Views: 1

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Amen on trusting Savage over Chiappa. One of my LGS had purchased a few and none of them shot. Company says they can't fix them or replace them once they have been used.

Now, how are you suppose to know if something made to shoot doesn't until you try? That tells me not to waste my time or money on them if they won't guarantee they will go "pew"...

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I have a Savage Arms Steven’s Model 120. From some research it was also named the Steven’s model 15 and Savage model 120 at different times. It came with a broken extractor that I replaced. But I still haven’t shot it. It seems like a good light 22 for my kids to learn basics on.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I just purchased this single-shot 22LR recently. What do you think?

View attachment 272344

(Of course, it is for my daughter to use. But still, my gun.)
    Those are great little first rifles to teach kids the basics. Grandpa gifted a Chipmonk .22 to my daughters many years ago. Has fired thousands of rounds by my kids and at 4H Shooting Sports.

Top Bottom