• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It’s not a terribly fiscally sound reason but I’ve found it better to just buy the one my wife wants. :)

I hate to even speak of it. Afraid the bad karma will catch me. :nailbite:

However, my experience has been that buying your used "working fine for years" appliance because the wife wants new has worked out for equipment longevity. That and being prepared to spring for the "junk you need out of the way."

Maybe it's because the appliance to be replaced is plane jane or you have to bend over to get things? Doesn't have all the modern day bells whistles, looks, stuff through the door, etc? All the stuff that will break or contribute to shorter life?

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I hate to even speak of it. Afraid the bad karma will catch me. :nailbite:

However, my experience has been that buying your used "working fine for years" appliance because the wife wants new has worked out for equipment longevity.

Maybe it's because the appliance to be replaced is plane jane or you have to bend over to get things? Doesn't have all the modern day bells whistles, looks, stuff through the door, etc?
    I guess it depends on which hills you’re given to defend and which ones you’re willing to die on. :)

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I'm very picky about major purchases. I do a ton of research and in-person tire-kicking before buying.

We have a Trane furnace, Heil A/C, Frigidaire fridge, Maytag dishwasher, Maytag non-he washer, Samsung dryer, LG microwave, Breville toaster oven, Vizio and LG TVs, Samsung computer and monitors, Ring security devices, and Toyota cars.

No problems out of any of them except the 16yr old washer stripped a transmission gear last year. Replaced it myself.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    In the last year, I replaced the washer and dryer. Wife wanted a large one with quick wash and extra water fill, I wanted reliability. 3 grand for a GE set.
    Replaced the Samsung refrigerator for a reliable Bosch. 3 grand.
    Replaced the broken stove for a Frigidaire gallery and matching microwave. Parts for the stove were too much to keep it going and microwave door was coming off. 2 grand for both, vs 5 for the professional series that didn't offer any benefits. My wife picked it out and I would have picked the same. Both have convection bake, oven has griddle, air fry, self clean and steam clean, and temp probe.
    So they all have wifi and we don't use it. You can turn up the refrigerator while you're at the store, through an app.
    Dishwasher still works fine. I ran a clean cycle a few times, but we haven't washed a dish in it. We have a deep single sink with a restaurant sprayer and a dish pan in it and wash as we go. We can't stand dirty dishes.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Yes you pay for features, and have to research reliability.
    Do you have a king size comforter? How big does your washer need to be?
    How deep does your refrigerator need to be for you family? Does it have a good compressor? Is the temperature sensor in a place where it will ice up (Samaung junk)?
    Is your wife a home chef, a baker?
    Features you need or use, and reliability. I fix my appliances, and you do get what you pay for, or you don't.
    And I hear Bosch is the way to go for dishwashers, but I never used one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230129-131522_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20230129-131522_Gallery.jpg
      401 KB · Views: 14

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    We bought a new gas stove the other day and I was surprised to see many of the higher end ones had bluetooth connections!! I mean really, I understand the convenience of not getting out of a chair or starting it when not home but....:dunno:

Fridge stopped working 2 tears ago after a power outage. It was only3 years old. Using my superior troubleshooting skills, found and removed the motherboard. Had a hard soldered fuse that had blown. Soldered in a couple of connectors and now it has a replaceable fuse. No probs since.

Don
    That is the problem with today's products. While they have engineers working at cutting every cost on the things that make it last, then build in all these electronic "featureless features" At the manufacturing level it costs only pennies to throw some meaningless technology at the control board, but it only makes the unit less reliable and more expensive to repair.

We had a $2000 set of high end top energy conserving appliances. They did not even work as good as the old plain jane stuff we gave away. In addition, they had annual breakdowns of some "feature". In 4 years, the dryer ate 3 control boards at $240 plus the service call. Who needs 29 programmable features and a panel of indicator tights on a clothes dryer anyway? The washer seemed to have some sensor or another going out, were always special order making every repair into two costly events.

I am so tired of having the money to buy great quality, and wanting to buy great quality, and the market only has junk, at cheap, medium and high prices.

Same with cars, they take out quality mechanics and durability, replacing them with features that will not get us home. And they raise the price every step. But that would be another thread.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Exactly! All these options and I only use the timer on low heat and have no reason to mess with it.
    We have a Whirlpool that's at least 10 years old and I keep it set on "Normal Dry" and "Medium Heat". My only complaint about it is that it seems to have some kind of sensor in it that thinks it's done when just one item is dry in the load. So if you have a lightweight fleece in there with a bunch of jeans, sweatshirts and towels, it will shut off as soon as the fleece is dry. Not a huge deal, but still...

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    You may wish to look into the class action on those pos things
    I know everyone hates on Samsung washers and dryers, but we just replaced our 15 year old ones today mostly because the wife wanted to. I've had to replace a few parts, but they have been worked hard (family of 7) and are still going.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    We have a Whirlpool that's at least 10 years old and I keep it set on "Normal Dry" and "Medium Heat". My only complaint about it is that it seems to have some kind of sensor in it that thinks it's done when just one item is dry in the load. So if you have a lightweight fleece in there with a bunch of jeans, sweatshirts and towels, it will shut off as soon as the fleece is dry. Not a huge deal, but still...
    It sounds like we have the same unit, mine is gas fired. It’s going on 16 years old now. *** knocks on wood***

I use the same settings and just wait till near the end of the cycle to throw the lightweight stuff in.

When I bought it I was hoping to find a low cost dryer with a mechanical timer but those have apparently gone extinct due to electronics. The mechanical timers were simple to understand and replace as opposed to motherboards.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It sounds like we have the same unit, mine is gas fired. It’s going on 16 years old now. *** knocks on wood***

I use the same settings and just wait till near the end of the cycle to throw the lightweight stuff in.

When I bought it I was hoping to find a low cost dryer with a mechanical timer but those have apparently gone extinct due to electronics. The mechanical timers were simple to understand and replace as opposed to motherboards.
    Mine's electric. I just take the dry items out and restart it. How it determines that the entire load is dry just because one single item is dry remains a mystery to me. :):

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That is the problem with today's products. While they have engineers working at cutting every cost on the things that make it last, then build in all these electronic "featureless features" At the manufacturing level it costs only pennies to throw some meaningless technology at the control board, but it only makes the unit less reliable and more expensive to repair.

We had a $2000 set of high end top energy conserving appliances. They did not even work as good as the old plain jane stuff we gave away. In addition, they had annual breakdowns of some "feature". In 4 years, the dryer ate 3 control boards at $240 plus the service call. Who needs 29 programmable features and a panel of indicator tights on a clothes dryer anyway? The washer seemed to have some sensor or another going out, were always special order making every repair into two costly events.

I am so tired of having the money to buy great quality, and wanting to buy great quality, and the market only has junk, at cheap, medium and high prices.

Same with cars, they take out quality mechanics and durability, replacing them with features that will not get us home. And they raise the price every step. But that would be another thread.
    Don’t forget government mandates they have to meet also…

Reactions: Leo

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I know everyone hates on Samsung washers and dryers, but we just replaced our 15 year old ones today mostly because the wife wanted to. I've had to replace a few parts, but they have been worked hard (family of 7) and are still going.
    Not sure about other’s experiences but ours has not been favorable not that we joined the class action suit when ours ended up across the room sideways with only two pairs of pants and two t shirts on the spin cycle.

We just chose to vote with our wallets .

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I would bet that the Samsung of today is not the Samsung of 15 years ago.
    I agree 100%
    We bought a set back in 08 and they are going strong. We have a dryer we bought in 16 for another property of ours and it has needed a new element, limit, and drum/roller bearings. Glad I only gave 200 for it at lowes, scratch and dent.

Top Bottom