• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I've always heard the opposite. Put out signs, even if they are fake. Crooks are looking for an easy score, and will skip obviously secure homes.

Exactly. The sole reason for advertising a home security system is to hopefully prevent even the attempt of a break-in.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Secure?

The NAVY would turn out the lights and lock the doors.
    The ARMY would surround the building with defensive fortifications, tanks and concertina wire.
    The MARINE CORPS would assault the building, using overlapping fields of fire from all appropriate points on the perimeter.
    The AIR FORCE would take out a three-year lease with an option to buy the building.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Secure?

The NAVY would turn out the lights and lock the doors.
    The ARMY would surround the building with defensive fortifications, tanks and concertina wire.
    The MARINE CORPS would assault the building, using overlapping fields of fire from all appropriate points on the perimeter.
    The AIR FORCE would take out a three-year lease with an option to buy the building.
    You forgot the Rangers would go out and kill the bad guys in their sleep before they even made it to the neighborhood

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Aren't both saying "Looky, looky. Something valuable to steal here?" :)
    I thought both said "Not an easy target. Move on."

I treat home security (and personal security, for that matter) similar to the old joke:
    You don't have to outrun the bear,
    You just have to outrun your friend.

A determined bear will have your lunch, and there really isn't a whole lot you can do about it. The trick is to make your lunch look less palatable than what is available elsewhere.

Buchhaas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2017
    Vermillion County
    Best thing I can recommend is a good hound at the house, I have a german shepherd in the house with small children running around everywhere. During the day if someone is coming toward the house he will only watch and maybe growl just a little bit until you tell him its ok and he stops. Then at night if someone is nearby he will make sure I and whoever it is knows that he knows they're there. My house is one of the only ones in the neighborhood that never gets pranked/broken into.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Best thing I can recommend is a good hound at the house, I have a german shepherd in the house with small children running around everywhere. During the day if someone is coming toward the house he will only watch and maybe growl just a little bit until you tell him its ok and he stops. Then at night if someone is nearby he will make sure I and whoever it is knows that he knows they're there. My house is one of the only ones in the neighborhood that never gets pranked/broken into.
    Sounds like a rough neighborhood.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Good cameras good lighting. Motion detectors. The ability to talk to people outside your home even if you are not home.
    i believe in visible cameras and ones that are not visible. If you are in mine or my neighbors yards then You are on camera.

maybe it's just a hobby of mine but does anyone else keep a log of which cars pass your house and what time and how many times ect? Thieves look for targets and study them a lot of times.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010

We've always had german sheperds; they are the best! There have been many break ins over the years on our country road...every one that I know about was a dog-free zone...we used to have a picnic table in the back yard. One of our later sheperds used to jump onto the table top and lay there perched on a high vantage point looking down towards the driveway, probably looked pretty intimidating. Our current german sheperd is East German bred with working dog parents...he's always on guard...the key in the door lock tumbler doesn't even get by him when I come home late at night from a call or meeting....DAMN GOOD BOY!

Black Diamond Kennels: http://www.germanshepherdsbreeder.com/index.cfm

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Good cameras good lighting. Motion detectors. The ability to talk to people outside your home even if you are not home.
    i believe in visible cameras and ones that are not visible. If you are in mine or my neighbors yards then You are on camera.

maybe it's just a hobby of mine but does anyone else keep a log of which cars pass your house and what time and how many times ect? Thieves look for targets and study them a lot of times.

When I return your dolly, I'll be sure to do a little dance for the cameras. :)

behiggie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Speaking of re-keying. I bought one of these when the pins in my garage door failed. Rather than buying 3 total locks to keep all the exterior doors keyed the same, this one can be re-keyed on the fly as long as its another Kwikset key. I had it matched to my other doors in about 30 seconds.

Re-key Locks Easily with Kwikset SmartKey | How to Re-Key a Lock Yourself in Seconds

I am not a huge fan of giving everyone that I loan a key to the ability to rekey my lock, other than that I am sure that these are good I have installed a couple myself. But one thing you may not know ( I did not until last year) if you buy a lock at most big box stores they have the ability to repin the tumbler to match your existing keys.

Top Bottom