• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Thinking of getting a 9mm Shield. Im leaning toward the thumb safety model, is there any strong reason to get the safety or not. Im thinking if I don't want to use it when Im carrying, I don't have to. Also, what is a good price, and does anyone know of a dealer at the 1500 that would have the best deal? Thanks

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Safety or no safety doesn't matter in this case. You can just leave it off all of the time. I may buy one without a safety however if I had the choice. I am sure you will find people at the 1500 selling them. Don't pay over $400. In my opinion a good deal would be around $360. You'll see them online from place to place around that price.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Safety vs. No Safety. Holy Poop in a can did you just open up a discussion.

For the record, my EDC has no manual safety.

People against them will argue that it's one more thing to go wrong.
    It could break.
    It could set itself on (in the holster) and you'd think it was off.
    And You could forget to turn it off when you draw.

People for them will argue
    What's the chance of the safety breaking.
    Always turn the safety off when drawing, even if you think it is on.
    Train all the time, and you won't forget it.

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    If you plan on getting a saftey model, remember that you will have to plan on flicking the safety off while drawing, or you can have major issues if you have to use your gun in a situation under stress.
    I went with the no-safety model... as long as you use the safety in your head and only put your finger on the trigger when you're ready to fire (which should always happen anyways) you'll be fine.

Even if you decide to not use the safety, and it's somehow turned on and you don't know.. could be a problem.

I paid 350 for mine and 25 transfer. I wouldnt pay more then 400 w/ tax for new.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yep, going rate for a Shield is $350 and sometimes lower online. Shouldn't be more than a bit north of that plus tax in a good gun shop. I personally have a safety on mine (bought when there was only that model) and have trained with turning it off on the draw. If you practice that way, it becomes muscle memory. Depending on the holster you get, watch the mag release. They tend to rust if you don't maintain them often. Mine rusted up this summer and I didn't realize it until I went to drop the mag when taking it to the range. I love my Shield and wish you well with your decision.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have the safety model. I leave it off though I naturally sweep it on the draw since I normally shoot a 1911. I suppose if I had a choice I would buy the non-safety model but I don't want it bad enough to sell mine and buy one.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Some say the trigger is better on the non safety model. I dunno as I haven't shot a safety model. I have and carry the no safety model and really like it. My trigger breaks very clean, no gravel. I left it as is because it breaks very nice for a striker fired gun. Trigger is a tad heavy but that's fine with me cause it's a defensive gun.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I don't own a Shield but if it is like the M&P you can just remove it and not affect a thing? I removed the safety from an M&P that was given to me and it didn't change a thing. But like I said I don't own a Shield.

JSpider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I have the shield 9mm with the safety and I carry it with the safety on. That is the way I like it. Personal choice.
    I like it so much I have held off buying a Glock 43. My shield fills the single stack 9mm role.

Good luck, you won't regret buying one, safety or no safety.

Last edited:

DIRTROAD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Check the guys at US Defense I got a good deal $350 they did me right I like the safety I shoot a lot of 1911s no problem ,I also put a apex trigger in mine

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I shot the thumb safety model shield in numerous range sessions before I bought a compact with no thumb safety.

I kept hitting the safety with my thumb and it would hang the slide.

Shortly after, they released the no thumb safety model shield, and now I carry that.

Mustang1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Westfield
    ZX Guns usually has pretty good prices at the 1500. Safety versus no safety is purely personal preference and it depends on how you train and muscle memory. If you buy one with a safety (even if you don't plan to use the safety) train yourself to sweep the safety's off just in case it accidentally gets knocked on while carrying. That would probably be a good option if you are used to maybe 1911s. If you're more used to Glocks, XDs, revolvers, etc without a manual safety then get it without the safety. I'm sure a quick Google search can give you an endless list of both pros and cons of both, but IMO it boils down to personal preference and training. Whichever you like better and are more comfortable with get it and train with it until you can use it half asleep, upside down, while blindfolded and weak handed while simultaneously baking a loaf of bread

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    No safety for me. I had a safety model and sold it. The safety was too small to reliably actuate for me.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    I ended up getting a Shield 9mm with thumb safety for $339 from McGalliard Guns, lowest price I saw. I also got a kydex IWB holster from Rebel holsters which I really like so far. I need to pick up a couple more mags, a mag carrier and night sights. Any recomendation on night sights and anyone who stocks them and will install them?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I also have CAP sights on mine. I like them. They work well both in daylight and in the dark.

Quantico tactical had pretty good prices on mags.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    0I have a shield with the safety. I am not a big fan of it, but it was all that was available at the time. I like the gun, and it is my primary carry. The wife tells me it has the lightest recoil of all my 9mm pistols. I think you can not go wrong with either one.

Top Bottom