• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrentTheBoat

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Columbus
    Received an email from the NRA talking about possible Indiana gun law changes and it said this "Senate Bill 433, authored and introduced by Senator Jim Tomes (R-49), would repeal the section of the Indiana statute that prohibits the possession, sale, receipt, or use of short barreled rifles and shotguns. These firearms are legal under federal law and regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934. SB 433 would bring Indiana in line with federal law."

I did not realize SBR were illegal in Indiana, has anybody every had any issues? I would guess most LEO are not aware of this, to enforce it or they of course have more important things to worry about.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Indiana has no statute prohibiting a short-barreled rifle. The only applicable statute is IC 35-47-5-4.1 regarding "Sawed-off" shotguns. In reading the SB433 text, it appears this only applies to the sawed-off shotgun statute.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Good deal! Sawed off shotguns, here we come! (hopefully).

I notice that Steele is listed on the bill. It seems like every time I see a pro gun measure, Steele is attached to it. I think he is a pretty solid 2A supporter.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Good deal! Sawed off shotguns, here we come! (hopefully).

I notice that Steele is listed on the bill. It seems like every time I see a pro gun measure, Steele is attached to it. I think he is a pretty solid 2A supporter.

Yup, Steele & Tomes are both synonymous with pro-gun legislation these last few years. Every time I see one of their names as an author or supporter I know it's going to be a good bill for the personal freedoms of Hoosiers!!!

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm not probably going to go too crazy with SBSs if Indiana allows them, but I've always wanted a cut down SxS double barrel and other than those Auto/Burglar AOW ones, they basically don't exist. Meanwhile, getting an inexpensive SxS cut down would be super cheap... except then we can't own it.

So if this goes through, the only question is internal or exposed hammers? :cool:

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    PLEASE :crying: I SOOOO want to build something like this . . .

S-12SBS_zpsc9e255df.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLovVj7k6LM

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Technically speaking, SBR's are considered handguns under Indiana law.

IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    My VEPR 12 is going under the knife the day I get the stamp back...

When can we start the letters and calls? If this goes through, and the DNR allows high-power rifles for deer, I'll be a happy camper. Much less wealthy, but happy...

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    I know little of state-level politics and such, but I really really want this bill to pass. What can I do to help?

I worked at the state house during a legislative session for the house Republicans. 99.9% of letters and such get intercepted by staff and the reps never hear of them. Most of the representatives do get a list of the most contacted about issues of the week. I'd say the biggest impact would be to attend a public testimony for the bill if it makes it that far. Honestly, the biggest challengers are probably procedural. The speaker and President Pro Tem can make or break stuff like this.

pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    I worked at the state house during a legislative session for the house Republicans. 99.9% of letters and such get intercepted by staff and the reps never hear of them. Most of the representatives do get a list of the most contacted about issues of the week. I'd say the biggest impact would be to attend a public testimony for the bill if it makes it that far. Honestly, the biggest challengers are probably procedural. The speaker and President Pro Tem can make or break stuff like this.

I recall the last time I wrote to a legislator about a gun bill, I got a form letter back about Obamacare.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I've been wanting a SxS really really bad. Pretty sure the second this passes (hopefully....) there will be a rush of shotguns shipped to IN to get all chopped to hell! :). I have a cheap old break action 12ga that may just get some pricey paperwork attached to it too.. my wife will never understand this!

Top Bottom