• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Oh man, I forgot about the clip boards!!! And the little, crappy golf pencils, which were never sharp enough to write the product code on the paper.

If I was Elon Musk, I would send Bezos on a SpaceX flight, make sure the booster was a dud, buy Amazon and rename it Service Merchandise. My zealotry for that store knows no bounds!
    I bought a 30/30 Marlin from Service Merchandise. It was the 30AS discount store version with the painted birch stock, not the nicer 336 model with a checkered American Walnut stock.

My first shotgun reloading press was a MEC jr. from a department store of 61st and Broadway in Gary called "Turn (to) Style". It was $29 on Christmas sale. They are $269 at Midway today. our money is worth 1/10th.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    CSB: IF you ever see a Mossberg 600, its actually a 500. The 600s were produced for several catalogs like Monkey Ward, Service Merchandise, and others.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Respectfully sir, there can be no Service Merchandise 2.0 any more there can be a Babe Ruth 2.0 or General Patton 2.0!

Service Merchandise is sui generis...the greatest store ever! :):

The suspense and delight of the sound of those gravity rollers bringing untold goodies to customers is unsurpassed in retail history! :D
    Service Merchandise drove the supply pipelines for many a garage sale.

Reactions: wcd

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    It was a mail order catalog back in the 80s.

But they also had retail stores. They had product displays out. You grabbed a clipboard, and filled out pretty much the same form you would mail in when you found what you wanted. But you would take it to the cash registers where they would ring you up. Within 10 mins your stuff came rumbling down a conveyor roller in a grey tub from the back room and they would give it to you to walk out.

Kinda like buying OTC meds with pseudoephedrine in it today. Give them the card from the shelf, they'd grab the box from the back, then ring you out.
    SM was cool

Top Bottom