• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

They have great holsters and offer a tuckable clip for $10.

Not the only option but one that I own. Many holsters that accept a clip for belt retention can be converted to tuckable.
    :thumbsup: I have been searching for the past 2 hours.
    All sites I've gone to don't do anything for the 3" 686 (one went with a 2.5").
    I will look into this immediately. :coffee:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

They have great holsters and offer a tuckable clip for $10.

Not the only option but one that I own. Many holsters that accept a clip for belt retention can be converted to tuckable.
    I checked it out & it is the 1st time I've seen any listing for a 686 IWB.
    I
    t even listed the medium L-frame in 2.5", 3" & 4". :wow:
    Not seen anything like it with all the manufacturers when googling for a tuckable.

In examining a vid they had I couldn't see well enough to be sure that the trigger guard was completely covered, but surely it is?

I was interested in your reference of other holsters that accept a clip for belt retention that can be converted to tuckable since I can't find anyone else selling an IWB for a 686-6 3" barrel.
    Looks like a 1st class revolver had to have a 1st class holster.

Again, thanks a bunch! :)

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Enjoyed taking the SW 686-6, 3" barrel to the range today.
    Used Fiocchi .357 magnum with 142 grain.
    Shoots low & I tried compensating by shooting higher.
    I adjusted the rear sights all the way, but that didn't raise my POI any. :scratch: :dunno:

I was "accurate" with different SW .38 specials with 4" barrels in the past.
    I don't know whether the difference is the extra inch of the 4" barrels or the reduced .38 sp recoil.

Range 03.31.2021.jpg

Middle finger (right behind trigger guard) swollen from taking a beating.
    If I was going to be shooting this much, I'd get a better grip where it covers more of the back of the trigger guard.
    03.31.2021 swollen knuckle bc of shooting.jpg

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Enjoyed taking the SW 686-6, 3" barrel to the range today.
    Used Fiocchi .357 magnum with 142 grain.
    Shoots low & I tried compensating by shooting higher.
    I adjusted the rear sights all the way, but that didn't raise my POI any. :scratch: :dunno:

I was "accurate" with different SW .38 specials with 4" barrels in the past.
    I don't know whether the difference is the extra inch of the 4" barrels or the reduced .38 sp recoil.

View attachment 133414

Middle finger (right behind trigger guard) swollen from taking a beating.
    If I was going to be shooting this much, I'd get a better grip where it covers more of the back of the trigger guard.
    View attachment 133415
    If you need some more .357 Magnum, Highsmith has some right now.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you need some more .357 Magnum, Highsmith has some right now.
    Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:
    But, I won't even buy .22LR at today's prices & I'm shooting mostly reloads of .357. :spend:
    It's not like I'll be putting 200 rounds of .357 at the range anyway, but ironically I have more of it than .38 specials.
    When I go back to the range with the Kimber K6s & 686, I'm shooting the .38s. :facepalm:
    My manhood will be challenged again. :lmfao:
    But, my accuracy will improve. :dunno:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:
    But, I won't even buy .22LR at today's prices & I'm shooting mostly reloads of .357. :spend:
    It's not like I'll be putting 200 rounds of .357 at the range anyway, but ironically I have more of it than .38 specials.
    When I go back to the range with the Kimber K6s & 686, I'm shooting the .38s. :facepalm:
    My manhood will be challenged again. :lmfao:
    But, my accuracy will improve. :dunno:
    Before the panic I didn't have any revolvers, now I have three lol, so I didn't have a good back up stash. I'll pay 39.00 here and there for a box to shoot but that's about my limit.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Before the panic I didn't have any revolvers, now I have three lol, so I didn't have a good back up stash. I'll pay 39.00 here and there for a box to shoot but that's about my limit.
    Really?!
    I had already cut back on my 9mm & especially .357 magnum range time even before Covid.
    Running 1000 rounds per week of .22LR wasn't sustainable & I've cut that back in half most weeks, sometimes more.
    I fondly remember the last time I bought a 5000 case of CCI Blazers was for $200. :rockwoot:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Ballistics by the inch will show you the 3" barrel is perfect for the 357 magnum. 2" you lose a lot of velocity but going 4-8" barrel you really don't gain enough extra velocity to be worth having. That's why I always say 3" 357 magnum is the perfect revolver. Weight wise also. Easy to point and handle.
    I have a 3" GP100 and it's a fantastic shooter!
    Incredibly accurate to POA with a fixed-sight revolver!
    The weight of the Ruger helps to mitigate felt-recoil!
    Comfortable on the hip!

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have a 3” model 60 pictured up thread, 4” model 19, a 6” 19 and a 6” 28. One of these days I will add a 8 3/8” to the mix. The 4” 19 is one of my favorites since that’s what I learned to shoot center fire wheel guns with. I want a longer barrel just for the increased sight radius. Might make for a fun range day to try each at 25 yards and see if a longer barrel will produce a smaller group.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Finally got the Wilson Leather Works Banshee holster for the SW 686-6 .357 magnum, 7 round, 3" barrel.
    It is the one mcapo found for me when I searched & came up empty. :thumbsup:
    I am wearing it now breaking it in.
    $110 plus $15 for tuckable holster clips.
    It's not as comfortable as my N8 Tactical tuckable holsters that I generally use, but it is a larger gun than I usually wear.
    The leather doesn't cover the handle, so it digs in right under the ribs.
    Spent an hour playing with the height of the tuckable clips trying to find the right placement.

6.09.2021 WW holster & gun separately rt side.jpg gun inside  holster outside.jpg gun in holster inside.jpg WLW holster misc..jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Looks nice
    Thanks!

I hope to make it work for a CC.
    I really had to play with it, but I think I've found the "perfect" adjustment after experimenting off & on all afternoon so it doesn't dig into my ribs.

I went for a MC ride & it was killing me by the time I got back.
    I discovered how to adjust the front & rear clip so as to be low enough to be off the ribs but the grip to be high enough to ba able to grasp the grip.

I learned by raising the front clip all the way (which lowers the gun), but putting the back clip down a bit (which raises the grip), it pitches the grip above the belt enough for a decent purchase.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    You just can’t beat a 686 no matter what the configuration happens to be. I’ve had a 686-3 6” and I had it tuned by Denny Reichard years ago and it still shoots as if aimed by the Gods of firearms.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You just can’t beat a 686 no matter what the configuration happens to be. I’ve had a 686-3 6” and I had it tuned by Denny Reichard years ago and it still shoots as if aimed by the Gods of firearms.
    I can't imagine how sweet a tuned one would be.
    I had a Wiley Clapp Ruger GP100 Revolver with a Wilson spring in it that was a sweet shooter & probably should have kept it, but I ended up loving the smaller Kimber 6s revolver better b/c of its size for a CC.

I just had to get this SW 686 7 round a try though.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Finally got the Wilson Leather Works Banshee holster for the SW 686-6 .357 magnum, 7 round, 3" barrel.
    It is the one mcapo found for me when I searched & came up empty. :thumbsup:
    I am wearing it now breaking it in.
    $110 plus $15 for tuckable holster clips.
    It's not as comfortable as my N8 Tactical tuckable holsters that I generally use, but it is a larger gun than I usually wear.
    The leather doesn't cover the handle, so it digs in right under the ribs.
    Spent an hour playing with the height of the tuckable clips trying to find the right placement.

View attachment 143178 View attachment 143179 View attachment 143180 View attachment 143181
    That's a nice setup. Too bad it doesn't have the N8 feature that would cover the grip. Wonder if you could somehow take the backing off of an old N8 and have a leathersmith(?) rivet the piece on the backside? You're soooo right, those N8 holsters are so comfortable against your bare sides.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That's a nice setup. Too bad it doesn't have the N8 feature that would cover the grip. Wonder if you could somehow take the backing off of an old N8 and have a leathersmith(?) rivet the piece on the backside? You're soooo right, those N8 holsters are so comfortable against your bare sides.
    I also like the fact that there is only 1 clip to deal with, but do to the weight of a heavier 686, perhaps that is not expedient.
    I have heavier guns I can use with the 1-clip N8 Tuckable holsters, but I haven't CC with them.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    One of these days I will add a 8 3/8” to the mix. The 4” 19 is one of my favorites since that’s what I learned to shoot center fire wheel guns with. I want a longer barrel just for the increased sight radius. Might make for a fun range day to try each at 25 yards and see if a longer barrel will produce a smaller group.
    I wish I could still see open sights to try the same 25 yard test as I now have 357 revolver in 4 barrel lengths. With red dot or 1X scope I shoot my 4" 586 and 6" 686 better than the 8 3/8" Model 27. My 2 1/2" 686 has been the least accurate.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wish I could still see open sights to try the same 25 yard test as I now have 357 revolver in 4 barrel lengths. With red dot or 1X scope I shoot my 4" 586 and 6" 686 better than the 8 3/8" Model 27. My 2 1/2" 686 has been the least accurate.
    I can't imagine 25 yards with open sights!

Top Bottom