• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Every once in awhile I see something I want & logic escapes me.
    Not often: I'm too logical & thrifty, sometimes.
    Not this time.

I have wanted & tried to buy a 686 SS 7 rd for some time.
    I've come close to buying the 686 four other times.
    Just a few weeks ago I was going to buy a 686 with fantastic wooden grips but I missed it by an hour.
    I'm thrilled to get this one from the Classifieds from a member that I sold a Smith .38 special to a couple of years ago.

I've always wanted a 7 round Smith especially the 3" barrel.
    Got out the Wheeler trigger guage & it is an 8# DA & 3# SA (give or take a few ounces either way).

Pics below with range pics coming either Monday or Tuesday.
    I have a pics comparing the 686 with the Kimber 6s, each overlaying the other.

right side.jpg left side.jpg comparison wSW overlapping Kimber.jpg close right side cylinder.jpg left side comparison wKimber 6s.jpg very close left side markings.jpg Kimber over the 686.jpg rear & front sight.jpg

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Wow a great looking 686! One of my all time favorites and easily my most fired 357! Was my first ever handgun back in the late 1980s. One attribute common to all the 686s I've owned was great accuracy. Although these days I have to use an optic of some type to shoot decently. Looking forward to a range report!

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    that thing is beautiful. Though I've never owned or fired one, 3 inch barrel revolvers always look very well balanced and proportioned to my eyes. Not that a 4 inch barrel (which I own and love) looks or feels poorly balanced -- but there's just something uniquely satisfying about the 3 inch barrel aesthetics.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    Congrats, Nice looking revolver! Always liked and wanted a 3" 357 to go with my 4" and 6". Oh, and lever actions, I may have a problem. :cool:

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ballistics by the inch will show you the 3" barrel is perfect for the 357 magnum. 2" you lose a lot of velocity but going 4-8" barrel you really don't gain enough extra velocity to be worth having. That's why I always say 3" 357 magnum is the perfect revolver. Weight wise also. Easy to point and handle.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Very nice! I do like the 586/686. Nothing against your Kimber but for me, the aesthetics of the 686 are much nicer.

Enjoy it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Wow a great looking 686! One of my all time favorites and easily my most fired 357! Was my first ever handgun back in the late 1980s. One attribute common to all the 686s I've owned was great accuracy. Although these days I have to use an optic of some type to shoot decently. Looking forward to a range report!

All of the SW .38 & .357 I've had in the past were great shooters, by my standards.
    I've read about how the 686 3" barrel does well.
    I'm looking forward to shooting the Kimber 6s opposite it.
    It will be interesting how much better the 686 3" will do over the Kimber 2" in DA.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Fun at the range.
    At 21" in SA I looked good.
    Not so good at 30'.

With D/A free hand or on a rest D/A not so hot, especially.
    Going to call tomorrow & see if N8 Tactical has a Tuckable for this size revolver.

Attachments

• Range 01.11.2021 1st time.jpg
      Range 01.11.2021 1st time.jpg
      60.9 KB · Views: 40
    Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Fun at the range.
    At 21" in SA I looked good.
    Not so good at 30'.

With D/A free hand or on a rest D/A not so hot, especially.
    Going to call tomorrow & see if N8 Tactical has a Tuckable for this size revolver.
    What ammo was you using? Grain weight bullet type?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What ammo was you using? Grain weight bullet type?

If you click on the range pic, it should enlarge & you can see it written at the bottom of the pic, which I try to remember to put there:
    Blazer .38 special, 158 grain

I wanted to put some .357 through it, but couldn't find any & I know I have a box somewhere.
    I didn't want to use my good self-defense rounds for the range for obvious reasons.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If you click on the range pic, it should enlarge & you can see it written at the bottom of the pic, which I try to remember to put there:
    Blazer .38 special, 158 grain

I wanted to put some .357 through it, but couldn't find any & I know I have a box somewhere.
    I didn't want to use my good self-defense rounds for the range for obvious reasons.
    Sure enough enlargement shows all.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What you need now is a 3” model 60 S&W to go with you 3” 686. With the full lug barrel, it looks like the 686 only on a smaller scale and with adjustable sights too..... Ask me how I know....

It just never ends, does it?
    That is why I try to stay away from anything too special or collectible since with my personality I am prone to going after something 110mph.
    This 686 really pushed the envelope for me since it is on the edge of collectible & I'm suppose to limit myself to range guns or CC.
    In my weakness, I'm calling this am to see about an N8 Tactical IWB since they are the best I've found for my use.

Top Bottom