• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I would definitely post up if I found something that worked.
    I've been so busy getting with other range projects that I haven't gone down that road of spending more money on it.

After seeing how I spent so much money in 2020 on the hobby, I'm trying to be a good boy this year.
    At least sell a gun or two before buying holsters or grips: both of which I want for that gun!
    I've looked also and only found some of the expensive custom leather holsters.

Why start conserving $ now? You were on a roll last year...LOL

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've looked also and only found some of the expensive custom leather holsters.

Why start conserving $ now? You were on a roll last year...LOL
    I was doing fine trimming in retirement, beginning even before.
    When Covid set in & I couldn't go anywhere & changed my attitude & woke up at the end of the year doubling my guns.

Getting hard to sell now, b/c I bought some things I really want to keep, finally.
    Really hacks me off that I have some non-22 caliber guns that I'd like to put some serious rounds through, but I won't buy the ammo.

I was just sent a notice from
    Target Sports USA Back In Stock Alert
    - CCI Blazer Brass 9mm Luger Ammo 115 Grain FMJ 100 Pack = $60!!!!!!!!!!

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I was doing fine trimming in retirement, beginning even before.
    When Covid set in & I couldn't go anywhere & changed my attitude & woke up at the end of the year doubling my guns.

Getting hard to sell now, b/c I bought some things I really want to keep, finally.
    Really hacks me off that I have some non-22 caliber guns that I'd like to put some serious rounds through, but I won't buy the ammo.

I was just sent a notice from
    Target Sports USA Back In Stock Alert
    - CCI Blazer Brass 9mm Luger Ammo 115 Grain FMJ 100 Pack = $60!!!!!!!!!!
    Doubling? That's great! Hope you found some deals and didn't pay current high prices. Deals are out there if you're willing to look and pounce when you see them.

All the ones I added this past year I already had ammo for but shoot sparingly. I'm not paying ridiculous China-Virus prices either. I've helped out family members who needed ammo however. And no, I'm not looking to adopt any NEW family members...LOL

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Doubling? That's great! Hope you found some deals and didn't pay current high prices. Deals are out there if you're willing to look and pounce when you see them.

All the ones I added this past year I already had ammo for but shoot sparingly. I'm not paying ridiculous China-Virus prices either. I've helped out family members who needed ammo however. And no, I'm not looking to adopt any NEW family members...LOL
    Yes, only buy value deals.
    I haven't bought any guns that weren't priced appropriately.
    Picked one up just last night, no details since I haven't taken possession yet.
    I might pay maybe $25-$50 more that I normally would have if it is something I really want.
    I never buy anything just for the fun of it anymore since I can't shoot it much anyway.

I quit buying ammo when the prices doubled.
    I don't need to buy any .22LR this year & it's a good thing.
    9mm/.38/.357 I just about stopped shooting except when I need to do function checks.
    I long for the days of shooting 2-300 rounds in a range session, but when retirement came I already started cutting back.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Picked one up just last night, no details since I haven't taken possession yet.
    So, did you pickup your latest one and shoot it yet?
    I long for the days of shooting 2-300 rounds in a range session, but when retirement came I already started cutting back.
    Ya that kinda sucks, now you have the TIME but can't replace ammo from a nice range session like that.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So, did you pickup your latest one and shoot it yet?

Ya that kinda sucks, now you have the TIME but can't replace ammo from a nice range session like that.
    Just got through picking it up.
    I’m still sitting down here at the Greenwood/Main Street exit off 65 who’re met.

It’s an old odd gun but I had shot one belonging to a friend last summer.

i liked it but wanted to wait and
    get a 6” barrel but unfortunately this only has the
    4” barrel also:
    Walther SP22

it was as accurate as most
    I had but I still want to get a 6 inch barrel some day.

You’re right, knowing I can’t replace the ammo that I shoot has put a big dent in my shooting anything but 22.

I try to restrain myself and have cut back about half most weeks and sometimes morethan what I used to shoot.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Just got through picking it up.
    I’m still sitting down here at the Greenwood/Main Street exit off 65 who’re met.

It’s an old odd gun but I had shot one belonging to a friend last summer.

i liked it but wanted to wait and
    get a 6” barrel but unfortunately this only has the
    4” barrel also:
    Walther SP22

it was as accurate as most
    I had but I still want to get a 6 inch barrel some day.

You’re right, knowing I can’t replace the ammo that I shoot has put a big dent in my shooting anything but 22.

I try to restrain myself and have cut back about half most weeks and sometimes morethan what I used to shoot.
    Just looked up the SP22, pretty cool looking. So, did you shoot it yet? Of course you'll HAVE to get the 6" model too.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just looked up the SP22, pretty cool looking. So, did you shoot it yet? Of course you'll HAVE to get the 6" model too.
    I really don’t care about the 4 inch barrel, but I thought I’d get it to play with while I’m waiting for 6 inch match barrel SP22.

I had one lined up from a store in Michigan but he never called back so I’m assuming it’s sold over the weekend.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Been wanting to get a "tuckable" holster for the 686-6, but my normal N8 Tacitcal company that I usually use, some fitted & some not, don't make any big enough for the 686 with its 7 round cylinder & medium sized L frame. :dunno:

I ran across the CrossBreed brand, & was excited b/c they even had one for the CZ Shadow 2!
    But, alas, none for the medium size L frame revolvers. :scratch:

I'm still searching. :coffee:
    I must have an IWB that is "tuckable", meaning the straps are designed in such a way as their is room between the strap (or 2 straps) that hook onto the belt for your shirt tail to tuck between them & your pants.
    They work ingeniously for my purposes.
    Wearing a shirt a little bigger is all that's needed & not always then, depending on the grip handle.
    Since I have my "fat" shirts of XXL, no problem. :lmfao:

If anyone had run across one, let me know. :thumbsup:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Been wanting to get a "tuckable" holster for the 686-6, but my normal N8 Tacitcal company that I usually use, some fitted & some not, don't make any big enough for the 686 with its 7 round cylinder & medium sized L frame. :dunno:

I ran across the CrossBreed brand, & was excited b/c they even had one for the CZ Shadow 2!
    But, alas, none for the medium size L frame revolvers. :scratch:

I'm still searching. :coffee:
    I must have an IWB that is "tuckable", meaning the straps are designed in such a way as their is room between the strap (or 2 straps) that hook onto the belt for your shirt tail to tuck between them & your pants.
    They work ingeniously for my purposes.
    Wearing a shirt a little bigger is all that's needed & not always then, depending on the grip handle.
    Since I have my "fat" shirts of XXL, no problem. :lmfao:

If anyone had run across one, let me know.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am impressed if you can carry a 686 IWB!
    Probably just my inexperience showing. :dunno:
    I thought the Crossbreed brand was going to come through for me. :scratch:
    I watched a vid last night that Hickok45 did on IWB holsters & was hoping to find one through him, but I'm not sure which were tuckable or not. :coffee:
    Going to watch it again tonight.
    The Etsy was on my list to check out this evening.
    A quick look had a 1 strap, but I'd think the L frame would require a 2 strap approach.
    The N8 Tactical tuckable I've been using for small 9mm & even up to 4" 9mm have just 1 strap, but it hasn't been a problem.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Every brand that I have checked out that was on Hickok45's video about IWB holsters,
    had none made for the medium sized L frame for the 686-6, 7 round 3" barrel.
    or
    for any SW 686. :dunno:

Looks like I'm going to have to think out of the box :scratch: & make a few calls & compromise & perhaps reinvent the wheel.
    With the large Hogue style grip on the 686,
    I wonder about adapting some type of large "sticky" style holster
    or
    even deconstructing a regular non-tuckable IWB holster using the body of a holster adapting it to contain the frame to protect it from body moisture,
    while the belt did most of the work "capturing" the gun, holding it securely. :dunno:

TxPhred

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Every once in awhile I see something I want & logic escapes me.
    Not often: I'm too logical & thrifty, sometimes.
    Not this time.

I have wanted & tried to buy a 686 SS 7 rd for some time.
    I've come close to buying the 686 four other times.
    Just a few weeks ago I was going to buy a 686 with fantastic wooden grips but I missed it by an hour.
    I'm thrilled to get this one from the Classifieds from a member that I sold a Smith .38 special to a couple of years ago.

I've always wanted a 7 round Smith especially the 3" barrel.
    Got out the Wheeler trigger guage & it is an 8# DA & 3# SA (give or take a few ounces either way).

Pics below with range pics coming either Monday or Tuesday.
    I have a pics comparing the 686 with the Kimber 6s, each overlaying the other.

View attachment 120495 View attachment 120496 View attachment 120501 View attachment 120504 View attachment 120507 View attachment 120508 View attachment 120509 View attachment 120513
    That is one beautiful wheel gun!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Recently, I took the Kimber K6s to the range in an excuse of a "function check" :laugh: .
    It's time I put some more rounds through the SW 686-6 using the same excuse. :rockwoot:
    Unlike the Kimber, I'll put more than 12 rounds through it since a friend gave me some reloads.
    Yes, gave! :ingo:

Usually, the "next" time I shoot a "new" gun I've bought, I do better in my shot placement, so I'll look forward to seeing if that speculation works out for me this week. :scratch:

Grips on the 686 are great for shooting, but I'd love the look of wood if I could decide which to get.
    An IWB holster that I can tuck my shirttail around has been a fleeting journey thus far. :wallbash:

left side comparison wKimber 6s.jpg

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    An IWB holster that I can tuck my shirttail around has been a fleeting journey thus far. :wallbash:

They have great holsters and offer a tuckable clip for $10.

Not the only option but one that I own. Many holsters that accept a clip for belt retention can be converted to tuckable.

Top Bottom