• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    This Senate bill was introduced today by Senators Mark Begich (D-Alaska) and Joe Manchin (D-West Virginia). It's the Senate's companion to H. R. 822, approved by the House in a 272-154 vote (November 2011).

My letter to Senators Lugar and Coats:

Dear Senator,

I respectfully ask for your support of S. 2188, the “National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2012."

Uniform reciprocity in right-to-carry laws among states would serve as a fundamental protection to law-abiding citizens in their right to self-defense, regardless of the state in which they are visiting or traveling. Just as an Indiana drivers license is respected as a legal and valid license in any other state, so should a state's firearm carry license -- held by a law-abiding citizen -- be reciprocally recognized and respected in other states.

I would ask: which other of our fundamental constitutional rights are subject to state-by-state administrative stricture? Does freedom of speech or freedom of religion mean one thing on the Indiana side of a border, and something different on the Ohio side?

All amendments in the Bill of Rights apply to all Americans equally. I respectfully ask for your support of S. 2188.

Sincerely,
    me

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Received from GOA today:

Gun Owners of America
    Two Reciprocity Bills: A Strong Bill verses a Compromise

Great news!

Pro-gun Senate champions John Thune (R-SD) and David Vitter (R-LA) have decided to stand their ground on their concealed carry reciprocity legislation, despite pressure from gun rights compromisers to weaken the bill.

Specifically, Senators Thune and Vitter are sticking with their version of the bill, which recognizes the right to carry concealed by residents of “Vermont-style” and “Constitutional Carry” states.

Such states do not require residents to obtain the government’s permission before carrying a firearm for self-protection. There are currently 17 states that have either enacted legislation in the past or have introduced “Constitutional Carry” laws in their legislatures this year.

Current law:
    Vermont
    Alaska
    Arizona
    Montana
    Wyoming

Considering legislation:
    Colorado
    Georgia
    Iowa
    Kentucky
    Maine
    New Hampshire
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    South Dakota (on governor’s desk)
    Virginia

More states are being added to the list all the time. The Thune-Vitter legislation will fully recognize gun owners’ rights in these states.

A competing bill, however, pulls the rug out from under “Constitutional Carry.” Sponsored by Senators Mark Begich (D-AK) and Joe Manchin (D-WV), the compromise bill still requires a government permit for reciprocity, regardless of state law.

So while the states are moving in the direction of more freedom, the Begich and Manchin bill would keep even the most pro-gun states tied to a permitting system. Why are they doing this? After all, criminals don’t get in line at the police station to get a permit. It’s the law-abiding gun owners who go through the process of proving their innocence before being “allowed” to carry a firearm.

We have a message for Begich and Manchin: gun ownership is a right, not a privilege.

It is vitally important that your two Senators hear from you right away. Urge them NOT to support the compromise bill, and instead support the pro-gun legislation offered by Senators Thune and Vitter.

ACTION: Contact your Senators. Insist that they cosponsor the strong pro-gun Thune-Vitter reciprocity bill, which protects Constitutional Carry, and urge them not to support the Begich-Manchin compromise.

Click here to send your Senators a pre-written message.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    Got the same information today and immediately fired off three emails urging support.

We all need to stay on top of this issue and vote out those that do not support our rights to protect our families here in Indiana and elsewhere.....

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Interestingly enough, there does not appear to be any such bill (S. 2188) nor anything by either of those Senators containing a title "reciprocity".

It is possible that the Library of Congress website simply does not have the info posted publicly yet.

Before I support or oppose something, I'm going to read it for myself.

Blessings,
    Bill

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm sure they'll be "following this bill closely" and be "keeping my comments in mind as they vote on this important legislation". :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Feds getting closer to acknowledging the 2nd amendment as a right is completely different than states actually acknowledging it. They are not mutually exclusive, I wish GOA would see that and support both efforts, and not spite 45 states to help those of one (the other 4 as best I know still have provisions for permits for the very sake of reciprocity).

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Received from GOA today:

Dang it. Thanks, BoR. Teach me to dig a little before acting on the first NRA-ILA mailing that drops in my box. I did think it was odd that "here's a pro-gun owners bill sponsored by two Democrats?"

Sometimes "LOOK, a NAIL! Where's my HAMMER?" is a trap.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've heard of this bill too......several months ago well into last year as well......not from an email either.. and I could have swore I saw a new report on it at one time.........are you saying it doesn't exist? or perhaps the bill has a different title maybe??
    :dunno:
    This was one bill that I was going to make the time to send out correspondence on, please tell me it's a real deal

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I've heard of this bill too......several months ago well into last year as well......not from an email either.. and I could have swore I saw a new report on it at one time.........are you saying it doesn't exist? or perhaps the bill has a different title maybe??
    :dunno:
    This was one bill that I was going to make the time to send out correspondence on, please tell me it's a real deal

HR 822 is the real deal. It passed the House in November and has stalled out in the Senate. The reported S 2188 is the new one that reportedly marginalizes Constitutional Carry, requiring a permit for recognition. Do note that I said, "reportedly", as it doesn't seem to be anywhere I can read it for myself at this writing. I hesitate to support or stand against any bill I've not read personally, but given that the described bill is authored by two Democrats, one rated A by NRA, the other rated D by GOA, I would not be hopeful that it's pro-rights if it even really exists.

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Now I'm digging and the only thing I'm finding on Thune/Vitter gun legislation is Senate Amendment 1618 (amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act of 2010). This amendment failed to garner 60 votes in the Senate in July 2009, and was withdrawn at that time (Bill Summary & Status - 111th Congress (2009 - 2010) - S.AMDT.1618 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

I see an article from July 2011 (Thune: I Will Re-Indroduce My National Concealed Carry Bill - HUMAN EVENTS) in which Sen. Thune pledges to reintroduce a national carry bill. Other than that, I'm not seeing anything on Thomas.gov that looks like any active legislation on national carry or reciprocity currently sponsored by either Senator Thune or Vitter.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    HR 822 is the real deal. It passed the House in November and has stalled out in the Senate. The reported S 2188 is the new one that reportedly marginalizes Constitutional Carry, requiring a permit for recognition. Do note that I said, "reportedly", as it doesn't seem to be anywhere I can read it for myself at this writing. I hesitate to support or stand against any bill I've not read personally, but given that the described bill is authored by two Democrats, one rated A by NRA, the other rated D by GOA, I would not be hopeful that it's pro-rights if it even really exists.

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill
    Roger that. I was thinking they were both referencing the same thing. I'm not 100% on the detail of the processes of these things in our government. I'm learning it more now since our government seems to increasingly overstep their boundaries. So basically, in order to get this to move forward we need to contact senators to ask their support, correct? Hopefully it will light a fire under them on the issue.

WaltherFan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    EM69XX aka Fishers
    Here’s the response I received from Senator Lugars office:

Thank you for sharing with me your thoughts about H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011, which was approved in the House of Representatives on November 16th by a vote of 272-154. This legislation is currently awaiting further consideration in the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Congress has passed similar reciprocity provisions for law enforcement officers. The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2003 was passed into law and signed by President Bush in 2004. This measure exempts qualified current and former law enforcement officers from state laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed firearms. I was a co-sponsor of this legislation.

I believe in the rights of law-abiding citizens to possess firearms for collecting, defensive, and sporting purposes, and I support Indiana law related to the purchase, ownership, and carrying of firearms. As consideration of this legislation moves forward in the Judiciary Committee, I will have your thoughts in mind.

Thank you, again, for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Richard G. Lugar
    United States Senator

RGL/cga

Do you receive The Lugar Letter? Visit U.S. Senator Dick Lugar - The Lugar Letter to subscribe and stay current with Senator Lugar's activities for Indiana. Also, "like" us on Facebook atwww.facebook.com/senatorlugar and follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/senatorlugar(@senatorlugar).

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I'm sure they'll be "following this bill closely" and be "keeping my comments in mind as they vote on this important legislation". :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath.

Hey, are you trying to trick me? I think i have read that numerous times before, but on senator letterhead! I get the same queasy feeling every time I read it. It just says I am in no position to actually take a position and let you know my position, so I will pretend to share your position, but I will word this, so I can take a position that I choose, as long as that puts me in a better position. When I really want to know what you feel, I will move back to the state and then I might listen!

Top Bottom