• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I’m down for SA version of 2011. Couldn’t get warm and fuzzy over STI remasked Staccato cause I saw so many problems with STI. All it needed was an H to make a complete word describing their joke of a 1911.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    We all know less needs to stop being cheap and pay for an hour or two more of hand fitting. Plus you know what you are getting into with a Baer in their defence lol. I will concede that one, but not even my Dan Wesson's or CZ TSO needed break in. Big well fit steel framed guns are my thing and they all work from the word go in my experience.
    The opportunity for one particular production line item to improve with a little use doesn't seem unreasonable. Mags with a rough feed lip edge, maybe polishing a little tolerance stacking, etc. Just like that car that won't give me all the RPM range for a set number of miles.

Les is another story. Yea - spend a little time and finish the gun....

In all fairness to your point though, with the exception of precision rifles, I can't really say that I've had a gun that has improved its basic functionality through a "break-in" period. Maybe triggers that have smoothed out and the like but not so much function.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This is one of the people with the knowledge whose review I was looking for. I'm still waiting for some of the other ones to trickle in. Not that it will make up my mind one way or the other.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Good video. Never watched anything from him before, but I like his style and the details he provided.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    This is one of the people with the knowledge whose review I was looking for. I'm still waiting for some of the other ones to trickle in. Not that it will make up my mind one way or the other.

I didn’t realize that was Dean until 17:13 into the video. :-)

Fair review. Yea. It should run better than that.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I didn’t realize that was Dean until 17:13 into the video. :-)

Fair review. Yea. It should run better than that.

Lol, I am not crazy! With modern CNC machining and a bit of hand fitting there is no reason a firearm should not be totally reliable out of the box. Cabot machine builds their 1911's basically 100% and they are very reliable out of the box as well. Now that level of fit and finish outside of a basic striker fired job you have to pay for , but part of what facinates me about guns is the mechanics of them and how precisely they are made.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    My Les Baer "required" a break in....but didn't need one. From round 1 to well over 500, it's never missed a beat. That includes the two magazines that were shipped with it, four old ACT mags and some random 10 round magazines, only one of which is a Wilson combat. One is a mec-gar and one is completely unknown.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Can you link to a couple? I'd like to follow along with their experiences. I am also a little hesitant to judge on the those first 500 rounds; unless it is excessive.

I am about 80% committed to a 4.25" but I am going to wait a little while and see what the first run holds for people.

It seems that the magazines are the issue, he mentions it around 11:40. I would look for an other.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Can you link to a couple? I'd like to follow along with their experiences. I am also a little hesitant to judge on the those first 500 rounds; unless it is excessive.

I am about 80% committed to a 4.25" but I am going to wait a little while and see what the first run holds for people.

Here is the other I found but there are more with malfunctions, he mentions the malfunctions around min 2:30.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    My Les Baer "required" a break in....but didn't need one. From round 1 to well over 500, it's never missed a beat. That includes the two magazines that were shipped with it, four old ACT mags and some random 10 round magazines, only one of which is a Wilson combat. One is a mec-gar and one is completely unknown.
    Yes Baer is not finished as well as my Browns but never the less they still run good and I too have not had to “break them in” . Baer MSRP is a little less than Brown but with real use, holster wear and field work, after hundreds of thousands of rounds, they both still perform. A gun can be pretty for lookin at, but will it go the distance ….. every time?

The bargain in what you pay for is relative to your round count. Half a box of Chinese ammo a year and you can get by with a used LLama, on the other hand our best parts and companies like Brown, Baer and Wilson who have mastered custom production is a better value to working guns. In between is where most shooters end up.

Last edited:

kjdoski

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Bloomington, IN
    I'm not shocked to see malfunctions in a lot of these reviews of 5" guns. My buddy and I both bought 5" RO Operator 9mms last year, and neither would function properly with the insanely light recoil spring Springfield installs on them. Add the weight of an optic to that slide and NO WAY it's going to function. Luckily, that's a VERY easy fix.

I'm still in the wait and see camp. Got a friend up north a ways who's got one of each inbound, and he will run the ever living dog snot out of them. If his work OK, or work OK with minimal tweaking, I'm in for a 4.25".

I doubt it'll take the place of my Shadow 2 Optics Ready, but I have been a 1911 guy forever and a day, so you never know...

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    I bought the 4.25” model and it will be delivered to my FFL Tuesday. I had been wanting a Staccato P until this came out. By the time you add an RMR, light, and extra mags you are well over $3k for the Staccato. This will scratch my 2011 itch for less money.

Last edited:

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    I bought the 4.25” model and it will be delivered to my FFL Tuesday. I had been wanting a Staccato until this came out. By the time you add an RMR, light, and extra mags you are over $3k for the Staccato. This will scratch my 2011 itch for less money.
    Interested in your forthcoming range report.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

I don't know who that is, I don't put any more stock in that review then I do the ones where a gun runs 100%, in the end I just have to try it for myself.

Top Bottom