RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Started working part-time at a LGS as an RSO.

Being "helpful" was getting me looks and grumbles to the owners... I've started wearing a hole through my tongue from gnawing on it. Most of it has been the basics - grip, stance, and especially safety. I've come to the conclusion that if people are being safe in their handling, let them throw lead however they please. Keeps the peace and me a paycheck. If they wanna learn how to use something, let them pay me or the store for a class. (It has taken me quite a while and more than one "talking to" for me to come to this point)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Started working part-time at a LGS as an RSO.

Being "helpful" was getting me looks and grumbles to the owners... I've started wearing a hole through my tongue from gnawing on it. Most of it has been the basics - grip, stance, and especially safety. I've come to the conclusion that if people are being safe in their handling, let them throw lead however they please. Keeps the peace and me a paycheck. If they wanna learn how to use something, let them pay me or the store for a class. (It has taken me quite a while and more than one "talking to" for me to come to this point)

I have learned to just STFU unless I or others are in danger.
    Also why I no longer go to indoor ranges unless they are near empty. Even then I will bear up to the weather at MCF&G

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So glad I have my own outdoor range, on my property. Id hate to look foolish in front of anyone...

A tip, my friend. It'd be a smart move to venture out from your private range on occasion.

A class or local steel match or two could prove very helpful. Folks often don't know what they don't know until they are exposed to others. How and when to handle (or not handle) your firearms in a crowd or on a line with other shooters is an important skill to have.

Even with your own range, there is possibility of needing to venture out. Or others might be at your private range. You can often have no idea that you may be developing bad or dangerous habits.

A gent we shot a USPSA match with years ago shot his first match with us. The guy was obviously talented and well practiced. He had a decent understanding of the format and shot a couple stages extremely well for being brand new. He had brought his young son to watch him shoot.

The man's gun handling was pretty solid...
    ...right up until he done his 2nd or 3rd flip and catch at the "unload and show clear" command. He caught the empty case like a "cool guy," while his muzzle pointed at the RO's belly, the rest of the shooters behind the RO.

Sadly we never seen that very good shooter again. He was obviously very embarrassed by his son seeing him get disqualified for dangerous gun handling.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    Trying to find a video I seen on instagram to post in here. A man in gray hooded shirt gets brass down his back and NDs 2 shots behind and to the right. There is a RSO sweeping brass that passes by right when the guy shoots behind himself. There is 2 people in the bay next to him and the watcher was inches away from the pistol as it goes off. It is an incredible video. Footage is from the range security cam. Looks like it could be a point blank range. Video was originally posted by tactical_gentleman.

If someone finds the video please post and ill keep looking for it.

EDIT: Jagee tracked down this impressive display of dangerous and stupid behavior

Last edited:

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Trying to find a video I seen on instagram to post in here. A man in gray hooded shirt gets brass down his back and NDs 2 shots behind and to the right. There is a RSO sweeping brass that passes by right when the guy shoots behind himself. There is 2 people in the bay next to him and the watcher was inches away from the pistol as it goes off. It is an incredible video. Footage is from the range security cam. Looks like it could be a point blank range. Video was originally posted by tactical_gentleman.

If someone finds the video please post and ill keep looking for it.

Does this link work?

https://www.facebook.com/elementarmament/videos/1864718063602876/

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have learned to just STFU unless I or others are in danger.
    Also why I no longer go to indoor ranges unless they are near empty. Even then I will bear up to the weather at MCF&G

Similar. I know I don't come close to many of the folks here in shooting skills, but I do work to be very safe in my handling, etc, and I get a bit concerned at most indoor ranges due to the close quarters and so much bad gun handling. I like being able to hit the bays at MCF&G (and even then I prefer to go during the day during the week when I can to avoid any crowd).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Similar. I know I don't come close to many of the folks here in shooting skills, but I do work to be very safe in my handling, etc, and I get a bit concerned at most indoor ranges due to the close quarters and so much bad gun handling. I like being able to hit the bays at MCF&G (and even then I prefer to go during the day during the week when I can to avoid any crowd).

I just now got home from MCF&G shooting with another Ingo member. We had the whole place to ourselves.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Don't Be That Guy: Double Negligent Discharges - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

ND-floor-3.jpg

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Watched a guy wrestle with his AR for at least a minute trying to get the mag out by pushing the bolt release. Same guy turned his Beretta 92 into a single shot because he was using 380 ammo. AR "pistol" put a least 100 round downrange, no sights just a rail. Knife with at least a 10" fixed blade carried middle of the back, not sure how he sat down. Just a few of the highlights from yesterday. Can't wait to see what Saturday brings. You have to see it to believe it.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Watched a guy wrestle with his AR for at least a minute trying to get the mag out by pushing the bolt release. Same guy turned his Beretta 92 into a single shot because he was using 380 ammo. AR "pistol" put a least 100 round downrange, no sights just a rail. Knife with at least a 10" fixed blade carried middle of the back, not sure how he sat down. Just a few of the highlights from yesterday. Can't wait to see what Saturday brings. You have to see it to believe it.

[FONT=&]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&]

[/FONT][FONT=&]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&]
    [/FONT][FONT=&]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Oh I believe it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Quote from yesterday that cracked me up. "That 45 kicks less than the other one because it's a 9MM"..:lmfao: You can't make this stuff up.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Quote from yesterday that cracked me up. "That 45 kicks less than the other one because it's a 9MM"..:lmfao: You can't make this stuff up.

I think they are correct.... doesn't a 45 create a vortex when fired... leaving a vacuum behind the bullet? That would then make the gun feel as if it kicks less because it is being sucked into said vacuum.

Yet another reason that mag dumps from 45s are dangerous. You can actually rip the fabric of time and space... thus creating a small worm hole.

Top Bottom