RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Overheard Yesterday.... "I know how to shoot a gun but I'm not good at aiming"

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I see a lot of stupid stuff. 99.9% of the time I bite my tongue. In fact last unsafe act I called out was when an idiot almost shot myself, wife, and 3 other people by pulling the trigger on a loaded ak facing our direction. The bullet hit about 3-5 foot in front of us. I know him and I still refuse to shoot with him to this day.

A few days ago I had a horrible range day. I wasn't just slightly off. I was way off. But my target still looked better than the 3 or 4 ranges next to me. Still doesn't excuse a thing.

I really wish more would seek training. 10 minutes with a competent instructor is better than a thousand rounds down range.

I have to ask though. Why would a range allow someone to shoot an AR without sights? Thats asking for range damage IMO.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I went to an indoor range yesterday to sight in my AR pistol, first working to dial in the MBUS sites and then co-witnessing with a red dot. I never fired a string of more than three rounds as I was working through the process, so I was keeping close track of the rounds while running the target hanger back frequently to check the target and the results.

After I got the back up sights zeroed I hung a new target for the red dot co-witness. I had only put three rounds on a new target, but when I ran it back, it had five holes in it.

The dude to my right had shot my target twice. Same guy who had been shooting a rifle with a hella loud and annoying muzzle break.

I'm starting to really despise indoor ranges.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I went to an indoor range yesterday to sight in my AR pistol, first working to dial in the MBUS sites and then co-witnessing with a red dot. I never fired a string of more than three rounds as I was working through the process, so I was keeping close track of the rounds while running the target hanger back frequently to check the target and the results.

After I got the back up sights zeroed I hung a new target for the red dot co-witness. I had only put three rounds on a new target, but when I ran it back, it had five holes in it.

The dude to my right had shot my target twice. Same guy who had been shooting a rifle with a hella loud and annoying muzzle break.

This has happened to us. Dip**** thought it was funny. I and my buddy not so much. It got seriously heated.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero

This one of several reasons why I don't use indoor ranges. Between the noise, the crowding, and the dirty air, I'm just a outdoor kinda guy. Plus, At times I need a 75' or 100' range. I try to be very focused... I'm not at the range for socializing, or talking about any other subject than the lead I'm putting down range. Wanna talk about your latest purchase? Ammo sales? Caliber effectiveness? I'm your man. I'll talk and listen as long as you want..... AFTER I'm done shooting and loaded up my trunk.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    This one of several reasons why I don't use indoor ranges. Between the noise, the crowding, and the dirty air, I'm just a outdoor kinda guy. Plus, At times I need a 75' or 100' range. I try to be very focused... I'm not at the range for socializing, or talking about any other subject than the lead I'm putting down range. Wanna talk about your latest purchase? Ammo sales? Caliber effectiveness? I'm your man. I'll talk and listen as long as you want..... AFTER I'm done shooting and loaded up my trunk.

I like both. I spend more time in a range trip outside than I do inside and while taking a short break its nice to talk guns. When I go inside I get my rounds down range, briefly talk to NHT3 when I'm there. Browse the guns and leave.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I like both. I spend more time in a range trip outside than I do inside and while taking a short break its nice to talk guns. When I go inside I get my rounds down range, briefly talk to NHT3 when I'm there. Browse the guns and leave.

That's me and the guys I go with. We chat a bit about the guns we're shooting and usually talk a bit with NHT3 or Cliff, depending on who's working, but otherwise we put rounds down range and head out. We do most of our chatting in the store or outside afterwards.

It's both scary and funny at the same time to read some of these stories, as I've seen/heard a lot of these over the last 5 years of going to the range pretty much every weekend. The worst, to me, is watching someone who obviously doesn't know what they're doing try to teach others. Very frustrating to observe. When I first started going to the range I thought at some point I'd become a range officer for extra money and possibly range or gun shop discounts, but over time I've decided I no longer want to do that.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    When I first started going to the range I thought at some point I'd become a range officer for extra money and possibly range or gun shop discounts, but over time I've decided I no longer want to do that.

As you know I've been there, done that. Learned a lot, got to shoot some stuff I might not have originally shot, but I do not miss it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As you know I've been there, done that. Learned a lot, got to shoot some stuff I might not have originally shot, but I do not miss it.

It takes a special person to do that work. Very special. For most I have the greatest respect for the patience they have with folks that need to be schooled and won't be.

To others.........................not so much.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    It takes a special person to do that work. Very special. For most I have the greatest respect for the patience they have with folks that need to be schooled and won't be.

To others.........................not so much.

I guess I should rephrase that. I worked in 2 different shops. One with a range but we did not have a dedicated RSO. Just working behind a gun counter its amazing some of the crap you see.

One story at the range a former co worker told me about. Some foreign guys came in and thought the guns were fake and people were just shooting blanks. They were in the range taking pictures of each other holding guns to each others heads. He saw it on camera and took care of it right away.

The amount of strangers that hand you there loaded gun is unreal. Sometimes they even say it's not loaded but it is.

I was in a shop when a customer had a ND. I was focused on another customer so I did not see what happened.

One customer asked us our opinion on putting a light on top of the upper receiver. (not the rail) Then argued with us when we gave him an honest answer.

The rudest I ever had to get with a customer was when he brought a shotgun in and started to point it at my head then gave me a dumbfounded look when I grabbed it out of his hand. (He wanted to know what the gold dot was on the end of the barrel....)

I am sure there are many more that I'm not thinking of but between all this and the jacked up AR builds I've seen I have no desire to ever step into a gun store or range as an employee.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Latest blurb.. "do you like it? Yeah, I like it but I can't hit anything with it."

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Customer told me today that he had a Jennings 22 semi auto pistol that he could hit a running rabbit with at 20 yards, every time. I like a good story as well as the next guy but I try to keep them believable so people's BS meter doesn't peg, LOL.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Customer told me today that he had a Jennings 22 semi auto pistol that he could hit a running rabbit with at 20 yards, every time. I like a good story as well as the next guy but I try to keep them believable so people's BS meter doesn't peg, LOL.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Culd be he meant inches, not yards. I make that mistake all the time.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Groupon shooters .. Watcher "you missed the paper" ( 23X35 target @ 5 yards) Shooter (shooting a Ruger SR-22) "you can't hit nothin with small calibers like a 22" .... Guy trying to sight his 10/22 in with the scope mounted 90 degrees off. Up/Down on the left side and L/R on the top. :lmfao:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Top Bottom