RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not on the range.

Guy sees hooligans engaged in hooligan activity down the street.
    Hooligans complete hooligan activity and run through guy's yard as they escape.
    Guy fires a couple rounds into the dirt after they run off.

Why? He's not sure. To make sure they didn't come back. Or turn around and charge him. Or...finally, because he's never been in that situation and didn't know what to do. So he did something without planning, and without rational thought.

Basically he reverted to monkey brain (lizard/monkey/human brain analogy) and made noise to defend his territory. He had no fear for his life, or even his property. His territory had been invaded and making loud noises at the intruders after they fled made him feel better.
    Well, how else was he sposed to mark his territory, **** on it?

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I will also add whenever someone feels compelled to "inform me" to hey they have this as they we're Military or are dressed in 511's or Like an Operator but are not working LE or etc is a dead giveaway to unsafe acts about to happen.

Just an observation I've noticed

You make a good point. I've retired from LE after 27 years, and spent 4 years on active duty in the military. Never saw the need to inform an RO of either.

Maybe I was too busy a) attending to what I was doing, so I could do it safely, and b) paying attention to the RO, instead? Just sayin' :):

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Great thread so far, Charlie. I have no personal experiences as all my range time has been private except for the time i spent in the army.
    I did once watch a three hundred pound Drill Sargeant/RSO pick up a 170# recruit and spike him over the protective barrier and jump over on top of him after the recruit dropped a grenade behind the wall with them.:nono:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Overheard today.. "Is the middle pin on the front (an MIA) the sight? Soon after same person made the comment, "I don't know what the He!! I'm doing". Thank you Mr. Obvious, I had figured that out on my own.. 4 people that had no idea how to clear a double feed. Good day, only 1 band-aid required for slide bite. I'm sure things will pick up by the weekend.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Father and two sons in, father tells ME neither of the boys know how to load a pistol. My response, "Well you should show them".. One was shooting the ceiling until instructed him on how to align the sights. Next statement from the father, "I'm going to spend an hour teaching you guys". Like he didn't know that when he brought them in. Father knew little more than the sons. Blind leading the blind is the rule as seen in the photo. Someone that is supposed to know what they are doing instructing a newbie.. I feel for the newbies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Father and two sons in, father tells ME neither of the boys know how to load a pistol. My response, "Well you should show them".. One was shooting the ceiling until instructed him on how to align the sights. Next statement from the father, "I'm going to spend an hour teaching you guys". Like he didn't know that when he brought them in. Father knew little more than the sons. Blind leading the blind is the rule as seen in the photo. Someone that is supposed to know what they are doing instructing a newbie.. I feel for the newbies.

My God.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We have to show people how to hang their target, even though it’s factory printed AND hand written on the target backer with a marker by us. I will push an “instructor” out of the way to stop a shooter from ripping their thumb open like the lady in the above picture. And we have signs literally all over the place forbidding steel ammunition of any kind, so now we deal with people trying to be sneaky.....they are shown the door.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

What the... I mean what is going on in this picture???

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    littletommy, I have given up trying to avoid the "busted thumbs". Too many offers for help refused. One guy that had a pretty substantial gash on his thumb and I asked him if he would like me to show him how to avoid it, I received a resounding, NO! , "I know what causes it"

Guy is standing in the back of the booth watching his lady shoot. Obviously he doesn't know any better or doesn't care. He loaded the pistol and handed it to her and she was doing her best to hit the target. Note the target in the background, probably less than 3 yards.
    Three more people yesterday that could not clear a double feed. One guy with a new AR that was loading it "gently" so the bolt didn't completely engage, hence he couldn't get it to fire. Lady missing the paper at less than 5 yards told by her instructor to "aim a little better. " SD9VE that was short cycling (shooting 9mm in a 40). If it wasn't so sad and dangerous at times it would be comical.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I can’t even count the number of weapons people have told me are malfunctioning, that I’ve picked up and ran flawlessly. Most of the time it’s from gently loading, sometimes they didn’t load it at all. You do occasionally get someone who is a good listener and wants to learn, and they make up for most of the other types. We have quite a few regular customers that fired a gun for the first time in our range, and they are a joy to work with.

Top Bottom