• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • If you are a happy owner of a RIA 1911 did you replace any parts to be so?

• Total voters

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Like Tim I replaced the thumb safety on my TCM just because I prefer a larger one. No issues, no malfunctions from either TCM I have.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Swapped out parts after shooting it for a bit - bigger safety, beavertail, bigger sights....in short, I'd have been better off spending more money up front. Oh yes, ended up sending to Armando (gunsmith extraordinaire) at Armscor in Pahrump because I kept getting stovepipe rounds. Tuned the extractor, came out fine, has shot well ever since. If I had it to do over I'd buy something else as a first 1911, but it's fine for what it is and what it costs. Perceptible difference between the Rock and the STI Spartan, my second 1911, the latter is a much smoother piece.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    There was nothing that "needed" swapped on the tactical for me, I just prefer grips that bite into my hands. Outside of that all they seem to need is a steady diet of 45 to be happy. They are like many tools, they get smoother with usage.

Indye41

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Westfield
    Never had an issue with mine. 9mm tactical model with around 300 rounds through it. It was my first 1911 purchase and was pleasantly surprised with the quality seeing that it was a low end model.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I have not had to replace major parts, but I did buy the pistol to gut and rebuild it, so that's what happened.

A lot of the parts do seem to be John Masen and other cheaper parts. Stock, it doubled on me a couple times due to a bad sear/hammer engagement (negative hammer engagement angle.)

Josh

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Swapped out parts after shooting it for a bit - bigger safety, beavertail, bigger sights....in short, I'd have been better off spending more money up front. Oh yes, ended up sending to Armando (gunsmith extraordinaire) at Armscor in Pahrump because I kept getting stovepipe rounds. Tuned the extractor, came out fine, has shot well ever since. If I had it to do over I'd buy something else as a first 1911, but it's fine for what it is and what it costs. Perceptible difference between the Rock and the STI Spartan, my second 1911, the latter is a much smoother piece.

I just got done fixing another one for a buddy. Sear and hammer. aprox 1100 rds.

I own 2 RIA's . I voted not having to replace parts but i did have to call Ria and have them send a new slide stop for my .45. The slide was locking back with 1 round left in the mag.

"FEW" is a relative #. Compare the RIA #s for how many had to replace parts, send them back, and had to "Parts Drawer" them and that # is too high to consider them a quality gun. They're ok to knock some holes in paper. They're a 1911 after all. Fun to shoot. For the price they're good for that. Like most inexpensive guns it's a cost effective toy.
    IF you're trying to say they don't have issues with quality control and parts quality, then you're kidding yourself.

Had one (GI Mil spec) and only issue was the pivot link on barrel got egg shaped and would make slide not return in battery. Swapped out, took 2 minutes, done deal. Only shot about 3000 rds no issue. Sold to get something else.
    Replaced it last Friday. Same style GI-mil spec. Missed my old one.

Keep it up. So far its 40 people who have had no problems, versus 4 who have, yet RIA are still dogged daily...

:)

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    It was the first gun I purchased as well. All others have been gifted to me. Only problems I've ever experienced were FTE with Tulammo steel cased .45acp. I'm at approximately 600 rounds and the only things I replaced were purely to make it more WWII era correct (as much as possible, with their modifications to the slide and frame). I changed out the hammer, grip safety, thumb safety, MSH, and trigger. I've been very happy with it, as I can't afford a higher priced 1911 being fresh out of college.

B-lou

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Danville In
    I owned 5 1911's in 9mm STI Trojan, Kimber Aegis, S&W, Springfied A1 and the Ria....The Ria was not quite as accurite and the trigger and slide wasnt quite as smooth but then the gun was less than 1/2 the money as the other 4 so could not expect it to be quite as nice of a gun...put about 2k rounds thru it without 1 failure....Sold it to a friend who wanted a 1911 to try without breaking the bank and it is still performing great after a few more thousand rounds thru it..I think it is worth the money.....B-lou

Top Bottom