• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am officially off the clock at the end of the month.
    Not sure about financing any new guns. Sitting good there and prices are a bit salty.
    Might have to hit the range soon and wanting to take my BIL.
    He's badly diabetic and not sure how long he'll be able to go do this.
    Took me moment to figure out what "BIL" was. :lmfao:
    I thought it was an abbreviation for a brand of gun. :ugh:
    Diabetes is scary & subtle early on. :nono:
    Easy to be in denial, I was, but my wife being very brittle made me look at my own onset finally.
    When I started getting blood tests every 3 months is what forced me look at my sugar levels & change eating habits permanently.
    Meal by meal battle with me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Before retirement, I started to trim down half the number of my guns.
    Unexpectedly, retirement didn't financially impact me as negatively as expected.
    I changed my mind about having money tied up in "the hobby." :dunno:
    I blinked & more than doubled my hobby inventory. :nono:

I have determined that I need to get back on track of minimizing my hobby addiction b/c of the usual priorities of life. :facepalm:

About my only success was trimming rifles.
    My goal is to have only 1 bolt action, but I'm really enjoying both the RPR & CZ 455 Varmint.
    I reached my goal of 1 semi-action: a CZ 512.
    All the rifles were bought from members here with 2 of the rifles bought from the same person.
    Another was bought from one of my two best friends here on INGO: makes for a great journey. :ingo:

Handguns have proven to be more problematic.
    With .22LRs, only 2-3 are on the list for "trimming".
    Since I have ammo to shoot 22LRs for a couple of years, maybe more, I am not motivated to trim there.

No problem with the .357s revolvers.
    I settled on my CC .357 revolver 19 moths ago with the Kimber K6s.
    Unexpectedly picked up a SW 686-6 .357 3" 7 round gem that was on my bucket list.
    Determined to keep both long term.
    I have a utility house gun .357 that is not needed now.

9mms are much more problematic & where I had hoped & needed to trim, especially since I won't buy 9mm ammo.
    I spent the afternoon in my gun room with the intention of prioritizing a list of what to sell.
    No progress.
    I only resolved to hold more so to hold onto my bevy.

After nearly 4 years of experimenting, I enjoy what I have.
    I have regrets about not hanging onto some 9mms & don't want that to happen again.
    I don't have but maybe one 9mm house gun I could part with.
    If I could put a few hundred rounds through each it would help to delineate which to keep or let go.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I wouldn't sell due to ammo situations. Wait and see. It might return to some sense of normalcy and then you can begin buying 9mm again. If not, then you can sell some off.

I won't have money in retirement for shooting so I have already thinned down to just basically two that I shoot regularly, both 9mm.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Ammo and prices will come down again and components as well. Haven’t seen a big increase in their price retail. Just greedy private sellers or small shops that I wouldnt spend money in anyway. Once components are semi back in stock we can load you a few thousand rounds that I can assume you are better quality than the cheap 115 gr stuff.

No reason to sell just to sell. You’re doing alright in retirement and if you are ever starving you can always come here for a meal. No need to sell anything! They don’t cost you any money sitting in the safe. They are just like money in the bank but you can enjoy them. The only way money is enjoyable is if you know how to do origami

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Ammo and prices will come down again and components as well. Haven’t seen a big increase in their price retail. Just greedy private sellers or small shops that I wouldnt spend money in anyway. Once components are semi back in stock we can load you a few thousand rounds that I can assume you are better quality than the cheap 115 gr stuff.

No reason to sell just to sell. You’re doing alright in retirement and if you are ever starving you can always come here for a meal. No need to sell anything! They don’t cost you any money sitting in the safe. They are just like money in the bank but you can enjoy them. The only way money is enjoyable is if you know how to do origami
    Agree with everything you said except prices on ammo/components.
    I suspect we will never see "the good old days" on prices and availability again. Just the materials...lead, copper, bass etc are rising quickly. Add in manufacturing cost and the potential for 15.00 minimum wages, gas, loss of storefronts.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I suspect we will never see "the good old days" on prices and availability again. Just the materials...lead, copper, bass etc are rising quickly. Add in manufacturing cost and the potential for 15.00 minimum wages, gas, loss of storefronts.
    It may not get down quite as low but will drop. Not suggesting it’s going to hit all time lows but will go back to a normal price and not the super inflated prices that most places are selling at. The larger stores are still selling things pretty much precovid prices with the slight increase that the manufactures announced. It’s just the medium to small stores ripping people off from what I’ve seen.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I feel your pain, I run hot and cold on keep or sell. I only have a couple that might be on the sell list.
    Since I do regret selling some things, like the SW 5906 & later a 4006 (40 caliber) with the coveted rear adjustable sights like I wanted with the 5906, but I wouldn't pay the extra $300 for it.
    I made up for it by picking up a 6946 DAO that I love but don't need, but I'm hanging on to it anyway (wish it had the adj. rear sights) just b/c I think I deserve at least 1 SW 3rd Gen. :laugh:

I wouldn't sell due to ammo situations. Wait and see. It might return to some sense of normalcy and then you can begin buying 9mm again. If not, then you can sell some off.
    I don't need all of the 9s that I have & should sell some b/c I had never explored a couple of brands & really like them:
    - XD series
    - Canik
    - Kahr (just specifically the CT9: the smaller ones were blah, but the CT9 fit the hand perfectly)

I won't have money in retirement for shooting so I have already thinned down to just basically two that I shoot regularly, both 9mm.
    That's what I thought I'd be pressed to do, but not yet, so I'm grateful for the time that I have to continue "the hobby."
    I had already sold off the more expensive calibers & kept only the "thrifty" 9mm.
    I just can't believe "sales" on .22LR of it costing at least x2 or x3 & sometimes even more.
    When my stock of .22 dwindles, "the hobby" will take a real hit.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Starting to look like my retirement date will be between Dec 2022 and Dec 2023. The org that I work for mandates that you must apply for retirement at least six months out from the proposed retirement date. However, HR does not start working the package until 3 weeks out from the proposed final date. Many times, HR will make several errors, and people are forced to extend so they can be fixed. HR is off site and really cares less if they screw up. It is up to the employee to make sure it is all correct.

As for my gun hobby. I have been stocking up for several years on reloading supplies and ammo. Have also been thinning the collection. Some of the guns will go to my kids in a year or two. There are family heirlooms in the collection that were my Dad's.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    - XD series
    - Canik
    - Kahr (just specifically the CT9: the smaller ones were blah, but the CT9 fit the hand perfectly)
    Interesting. I don't remember posting this:
    gregkl said:
    I don't need all of the 9s that I have & should sell some b/c I had never explored a couple of brands & really like them:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Interesting. I don't remember posting this:
    gregkl said:
    You didn't, I said that right before I listed the 3 brands, but it looks like your statement. :scratch:
    It was a formatting issue that happens when I reply to multiple posts & I click in the wrong place & the person I'm trying to respond to appears twice. :wallbash:
    I thought that I'd corrected it. :ugh:
    In the past I've had to erase everything & start over but sometimes that isn't simple to do either. :facepalm:
    My apologies.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Going into my 3rd summer of Retirement now.
    2019 was right hip replacement summer.
    2020 was Covid shut down summer, but hit the range hard, at least.

This summer will be:
    - less shooting: down to average of 1x/wk instead of 3-4/wk
    - visiting friends out of state: 2nd trip coming up next week
    - driving twisties with S2KCA Club, (Honda S2000), that I haven't been able to do for 3 summers
    - Motorcycle cruising, out in the country mostly, although fun using for appts., including Point Blank in Greenwood
    - able to join the gym again finally: I have really gotten weaker & less flexible (thanks arthritis), & lost alot of my cardio as well: so humbling

Trying to trim guns down, but it is slow going since I like what I've got.
    Getting ready to to sell a Sig 226-22 in a few minutes, that replaced the Glock 44, & I knew I would only keep it for awhile, but I've been dragging my feet since I really like it, but I had a buyer that has been waiting for it.

I don't hardly shoot my 9mm or .357 anymore.
    Shot only 40 rounds through my Kahr CT9 & XD-S, trying to figure out which to sell, but I've done that 3 times now, with them & other 9mms I've got, but I just can't let go of any.
    How many range guns do you need when not shooting 9mm at the range anymore?
    And, how many different CC guns do you really need, ha ha!

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Im currently working on my collection for my anticipated retirement in 2044. If i make it there and our 2a rights are still in tact im going to have a crap pile of stuff to keep me entertained. :laugh:.

Seriously though, im not in you shoes so i wont comment on the firearm situation. Maintaining you “youth” though, try yoga and stretch more. Sounds girly, but it does wonders for staying flexible/ getting flexibility back.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    My plan for after retirement was always to have a 1 or 2 day a week no stress no brainer job that would support my hobby. That and stockpiling components and powder now while I am working and earning a decent living.
    I don't plan on traveling the world or even moving to Florida for that matter.
    The whole idea of having to give up something I love especially in retirement when I have more time than money is scary.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Tai chi is a good way to start to get back into shape. I did it after a shoulder and back problem and it really helped. I just used it for a spark plug.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    My plan for after retirement was always to have a 1 or 2 day a week no stress no brainer job that would support my hobby. That and stockpiling components and powder now while I am working and earning a decent living.
    The whole idea of having to give up something I love especially in retirement when I have more time than money is scary.
    Pondering the post retirement job now. Doesn’t seem exciting yet.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Wait til you get that 20 something punk boss, who gives you no respect.

Top Bottom