• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Im currently working on my collection for my anticipated retirement in 2044. If i make it there and our 2a rights are still in tact im going to have a crap pile of stuff to keep me entertained. :laugh:.

Seriously though, im not in you shoes so i wont comment on the firearm situation. Maintaining you “youth” though, try yoga and stretch more. Sounds girly, but it does wonders for staying flexible/ getting flexibility back.
    I'm a believer about the Yoga and/or Tai Chi.
    I know I need the stretching & balance instead of much weight lifting.

Never did much stretching, but that's the big focus now, although this week since I joined the gym again I tried a warm up weight of 135# on the bench & was shocked that it felt like 225 & I only did 2 reps.
    I got mad & did a set of 5 more reps, next day did 6 reps, then 10 reps day after that.
    Looks like my weight lifting days are compromised, like doing chins & dips have been for a decade.
    I love the machine that makes your body weight lighter to assist doing chins & dips.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    @doddg Glad you're enjoying retirement. The S2000 sounds like a fun ride, I know about them and the high rpm. I used to do quite a bit of car activities.

Yes, stretching or yoga is a key benefit to feeling good. Good luck. Do everything you can afford to do in retirement!!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    @doddg Glad you're enjoying retirement. The S2000 sounds like a fun ride, I know about them and the high rpm. I used to do quite a bit of car activities.

Yes, stretching or yoga is a key benefit to feeling good. Good luck. Do everything you can afford to do in retirement!!
    Been to only 1 national S2KCA (Honda S2000) drive event when held in KY years ago.
    I just found out that in 2022 it is in KY again, so I'll hope to attend.
    Different chapters/regions have local events, like the weekend affair in Marietta, OH that I'm going to this weekend, & we have one in Brown County in the Fall, but the national event is 5 days.
    Just got my car back from Ziebart last week after being clay barred & getting the Diamond Gloss finish reapplied, so it will be looking sharp, but compared to the guys that use the S2000 as a garage queens, mine is just a work car. :lmfao:

Being able to do things in retirement gets hit hard with medical expenses.
    Just bought policy for institutional & home care b/c of heart & diabetic issues with myself, but especially with wife.
    Really cuts into "the fun" money.
    Dying slowly can be expensive. :ugh:

Old pic at a drive event.
    Drive in Brown County.JPG

Pic with my son's car.
    Daniel and my car from front.JPG
    top down rear.JPG
    Honda side view mine.jpg

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Primo to BC (Biden/Covid) I enjoyed shooting at least monthly, now quarterly if I can find reasonable ammo availability. I got four boxes of Winchester .40 at Avon Rural King which will ensure a summer shoot, I will retire in 19 mos, guess I will have to find a new hobby as I don’t see anything resembling normalcy in the future.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Primo to BC (Biden/Covid) I enjoyed shooting at least monthly, now quarterly if I can find reasonable ammo availability. I got four boxes of Winchester .40 at Avon Rural King which will ensure a summer shoot, I will retire in 19 mos, guess I will have to find a new hobby as I don’t see anything resembling normalcy in the future.
    I figure the shooting sports is something I will have to cease doing if/when I retire. If not sooner. I still have about 6-7 years to go.

If I can't get components at much lower prices by the time my 5K primers run out, I'll be done then.

I won't pay current prices to shoot. I can't afford that even when working!

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I spent the last 5 years of my employment stocking up. And I'm glad I did.
    I bought .22, rifle ammo and reloading components for 9mm, .40 and .45.

It was hard to pass up quality .223 at 28 cents each shipped. I bought 14k and have about 8k left. Should have bought twice that.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I spent the last 5 years of my employment stocking up. And I'm glad I did.
    I bought .22, rifle ammo and reloading components for 9mm, .40 and .45.

It was hard to pass up quality .223 at 28 cents each shipped. I bought 14k and have about 8k left. Should have bought twice that.
    That's not a bad idea. If the prices come down in the near future, maybe I'll do the same. If I can amass a pretty good inventory I could shoot well into my retirement years.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have always said once I shoot through my ammo, I'm done, especially 9mm & .357.
    I've cut back to 2000 rds/month, then to 1000, & recently down to 500 rounds per month since I reinstated two other hobbies.
    No way I'm buying 9mm at today's prices.
    I might pay 10 cents/rd for some decent .22LR, but I won't go through it as quick, but fortunately I was well stocked & will be fine at my reduced shooting level.
    Easy to say that, but when I start shooting rifles again, it will pick up, but with traffic on 465 compromised now I haven't even braved a journey to MCFG yet.
    Just today, as I was coming home from Floor & Decor, off the Allisonville Exit (NE 465) after picking up our new backsplash & I had to get off E465 at the Washington Exit at 3 pm b/c the traffic was already slowing down just to get home in Wanamaker!!!
    As to going around S465 to get to the West side, it will be bad & getting home even worse! :wallbash:
    I figure the shooting sports is something I will have to cease doing if/when I retire. If not sooner. I still have about 6-7 years to go.
    If I can't get components at much lower prices by the time my 5K primers run out, I'll be done then.
    I won't pay current prices to shoot. I can't afford that even when working!
    I hear you!
    Fortunately I was stocked, but I would have gone through that in a year or so since I quit buying ammo.
    Now I take fewer guns at a time to the range (something Aeroflyer told me to do anyway a long time ago :laugh:) &
    shoot fewer rounds.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I definitely figured that out. I used to take 6 or 7 guns. Now just 2 or 3. And try to take all the same calibers per trip.
    Keeping it simple actually makes it more enjoyable and productive

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Had a great time with S2KCA (Honda S2000 car club) driving on Route 26 in Marietta, OH, which in the past has been rated as one of the best "twisty" road trips in the U.S.
    It was great seeing guys I used to drive with that I hadn't seen in 4 yrs. due to circumstances.
    Sometimes people attend who have flown in from far away or have sold their Honda S2000 but still want to participate.
    I had a guy ride with me who had some of the same guns I had & we talked 2 solid hours about guns: I love the blending of hobbies. :laugh:

On another note, my daughter sent me $100 for Father's Day just to buy ammo with which was fun.
    At Xmas she bought me my current range bag that I enjoy.
    I bought a brick of CCI SV for $55 & let her know I will buy more ammo when I find an equitable deal.

On the home front:
    With the help of a contractor friend that I used to work for in the summers in my younger days, I'm getting ready to put in a backsplash in the kitchen that my wife has wanted for a year.
    2 years ago the wife bought the ugly cabinet for the kitchen, which was suppose to match the floor, but I think it missed the mark, ha ha!
    I spent hours sanding & priming & painting 2.5 topcoats on it to match the new backsplash.
    I had to fill some holes up with pieces of a 7/8" dial when I took the "swivel" top off that the wife didn't want on the old cabinet anymore.
    After that I'm having a dedicated line for the microwave put in like should have been done to begin with.

Been enjoying riding the Yamaha Majesty nearly everyday out in the country or running errands.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I helped a teacher friend whose Dad died with cancer before he could sell off all of his guns, ammo & knives.
    I realize I don't want to do that to my wife & it has motivated me to get the safe trim again, but there is always going to be many items that will need dealt with upon my passing.
    I have 2 friends here on INGO that would sell any guns, ammo, holsters & the like for my wife if I go unexpectedly.
    I'd just arrange to pay them a commission and/or pick of gun (s) and/or ammo, so she wouldn't be burdened.
    I trust them.

My teacher friend was just going to take everything to a gun shop if I wasn't able to help her out.
    She would have taken quite a beating since nearly all items were decades old except for a couple of guns I sold here on INGO.
    I was able to wholesale out everything to a member, which worked out well for all parties since I didn't want WW2 ammo sitting in my garage all summer.
    My teacher friend was thrilled & I was glad to help her out.

In fact, the member who bought all the items from the estate is as honest as I am & would trust him impeccably to sell off whatever stuff was left of mine for the wife, when my time comes.
    He treated me right by looking up all items in the estate to find current value & then we agreed on what % he would pay.
    There are probably many others here that would do right by me & my wife as well.
    This is a great community that goes beyond "the hobby."

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Ha, when I go my son will get to put them all into his truck haul them away, and sell and split the $ with his sisters, but yes sadly the day will come when our toys will hopefully be loved and cared for by others, I have some marks for family members.
    “IF” they don’t get taken away first….
    and fifty years from now our latest and greatest will be like the old Smith Lemon squeezer, an antique.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ha, when I go my son will get to put them all into his truck haul them away, and sell and split the $ with his sisters, I know your a stand up guy , but I also remember you posting how you sold your S&W shield 1 Gen (to me) for $360 , and that you bought it for $300. Ha,
    But it is what it is, (you had a couple x tra magazines) all’s good. But yes sadly the day will come when our toys will hopefully be loved and cared for by others, I have some marks for family members.
    “IF” they don’t get taken away first….
    and fifty years from now our latest and greatest will be like the old Smith Lemon squeezer, an antique.

I don't remember it, but I looked it up & saw an ad listed for AUG 14, 2018 & you responded to the ad on Aug. 17, 2018.

Ad posted:
    $350
    Comes with factory box & manual, and with 3 magazines (1 flush fit 7 round mag, 2 extended 8 round mags), plus 5 S/W OEM mags I bought still in their packages = 8 mags total.
    I bought the 5 extra mags
    when buying an ammo and magazine special combo deal months prior and was passing along
    the sensational deal on mags that I got when SW was running a special.

You said you paid $360, but the ad says $350.
    8 magazines!!!

I don't doubt I paid $300 for the gun, but I charged only $10 each for each for the extra mags, which was probably half of the going price then, plus shipping & tax.
    That was quite the deal & I'm astounded that you think I made $60 on a Shield with 8 mags.
    or
    Perhaps this was not the Shield you bought but another: I've had 3-4 Shields over the years.
    This was the only one that came up when I did a search.
    Whenever I sold any Shield, it for was what I had in it, no more, no less.

I normally buy a gun only when the price is terrific so I can sell w/o losing.
    I remember once selling a gun here for more than I paid b/c it was so much lower than market value, but I did so to help pay for guns that I lost money on.
    Sometimes I'll spend $50-$60 in gas to go buy a gun & I'll price the gun $20-$25 more than I paid b/c of the transportation costs were beyond normal.
    I always lose money when that happens, but it will be a gun that I haven't had & hasn't been available for a great price.

1626099729515.png

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Ok, I did say it came with magazines, but if you check all of your numerous posts also, you'll probably see the one I was referring too, about that pistol. But its all good, my wife loves the Shield.

Top Bottom