• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I don't remember it, but I looked it up & saw an ad listed for AUG 14, 2018 & you responded to the ad on Aug. 17, 2018.

Ad posted:
    $350
    Comes with factory box & manual, and with 3 magazines (1 flush fit 7 round mag, 2 extended 8 round mags), plus 5 S/W OEM mags I bought still in their packages = 8 mags total.
    I bought the 5 extra mags
    when buying an ammo and magazine special combo deal months prior and was passing along
    the sensational deal on mags that I got when SW was running a special.

You said you paid $360, but the ad says $350.
    8 magazines!!!

I don't doubt I paid $300 for the gun, but I charged only $10 each for each for the extra mags, which was probably half of the going price then, plus shipping & tax.
    That was quite the deal & I'm astounded that you think I made $60 on a Shield with 8 mags.
    or
    Perhaps this was not the Shield you bought but another: I've had 3-4 Shields over the years.
    This was the only one that came up when I did a search.
    Whenever I sold any Shield, it for was what I had in it, no more, no less.

I normally buy a gun only when the price is terrific so I can sell w/o losing.
    I remember once selling a gun here for more than I paid b/c it was so much lower than market value, but I did so to help pay for guns that I lost money on.
    Sometimes I'll spend $50-$60 in gas to go buy a gun & I'll price the gun $20-$25 more than I paid b/c of the transportation costs were beyond normal.
    I always lose money when that happens, but it will be a gun that I haven't had & hasn't been available for a great price.

View attachment 147859
    I also try to get the best deal on a gun that I can so I can try to break even. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. That was a great deal. Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope! :)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The ongoing saga of Retirement.
    Two full years in now.
    Seems like 4-5 yrs.

Last summer was .22 rifle madness & was so enjoyable using the outdoor range for 100 yds, then 50 yds at MCFG.
    But, only been out there twice this Summer b/c of the I70 shutdown & ensuing traffic issues on I465.
    I've discovered I can come on Sundays & traffic doable.

This summer will be known not for range visits, but CN Heart visits.
    I've noticed I'm not aging well & have slowed down so much in the past 2 yrs. :fogey:
    I thought I was just getting lazy, now that I had the chance to do so in retirement.
    But, just this summer, I discovered I could barely ride bikes with the wife for 25 minutes or swim a length or two of the pool. :(
    Right after I retired 2 yrs ago, I could work out an hour in the Yoga class, but now can only do about 20 minutes & I'm spent.

B/C of me noticing the heart skipping beats when taking heart rate as is my custom after exercise, they put a heart monitor on me last Spring
    &
    discovered an electrical issue in the heart which appeared as "skipping" beats, but it was just misfiring.
    After a stress test recently & an Echo a couple of weeks ago, it led to a TEE last week Dr. discovered a severe calcification & blockage of the aortic valve.
    My symptoms of fatigue have been giving warning signals.
    I'm getting a catheterization done Wednesday to see if blockages are also in the arteries & requiring stents. :dunno:

They have a procedure to avoid open-heart surgery for replacement of the bad aortic valve, by going through an artery to replace it: amazing! :wow:
    I've have lived a healthy lifestyle but know nothing of the genetic factor on my mother's side of the family.
    Can't overcome hereditary traits in the family genes no matter how you eat or exercise, but perhaps delay them.

I thank God that they found this 85% blockage before it took me out suddenly.
    A few years ago when I had stomach pains & the Dr. thought it was probably an ulcer, just to find out a cancerous tumor was starting to eat away at a kidney.
    Got it in the early stages & cut it out & hopefully looks like they got it all before it spread.

By investigating that electrical issue, they discovered the bad heart valve, that is immediately serious.
    After the valve issue gets taken care of, they'll go back after the electrical issue.
    I am in denial that I'm going to require a pacemaker after all the fitness I did. :scratch:

Won't be the first time I've spent vacationing at the local hospitals, haha! :laugh:

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    The ongoing saga of Retirement.
    Two full years in now.
    Seems like 4-5 yrs.

B/C of me noticing the heart skipping beats when taking heart rate as is my custom after exercise, they put a heart monitor on me last Spring & discovered an electrical issue in the heart which appeared as "skipping" beats, but it was just misfiring.
    After a stress test recently & an Echo a couple of weeks ago, it led to a TEE last week Dr. discovered a severe calcification & blockage of the aortic valve. My symptoms of fatigue have been giving warning signals. I'm getting a catheterization done Wednesday to see if blockages are also in the arteries & requiring stents. :dunno:

They have a procedure to avoid open-heart surgery for replacement of the bad aortic valve, by going through an artery to replace it: amazing! :wow: I've have lived a healthy lifestyle but know nothing of the genetic factor on my mother's side of the family.
    Can't overcome hereditary traits in the family genes no matter how you eat or exercise, but perhaps delay them.

I thank God that they found this 85% blockage before it took me out suddenly. A few years ago when I had stomach pains & the Dr. thought it was probably an ulcer, just to find out a cancerous tumor was starting to eat away at a kidney. Got it in the early stages & cut it out & hopefully looks like they got it all before it spread.

By investigating that electrical issue, they discovered the bad heart valve, that is immediately serious. After the valve issue gets taken care of, they'll go back after the electrical issue. I am in denial that I'm going to require a pacemaker after all the fitness I did. :scratch:

Won't be the first time I've spent vacationing at the local hospitals, haha! :laugh:
    Be thankful you were not in denial and got checked out. Too many of us think that 'denial' is just a river in Egypt! Fatigue issues are a lot better than chest pains. I've been on way too many of those medical calls over the years and many times people didn't heed warning signs early enough.

They can sure do some amazing procedures these days if conditions are caught early like yours was. My doctor told me that you can live a healthy life style and try to limit stress but there's absolutely NOTHING you can do about hereditary factors.

Good luck with your catheterization procedure and hope they get you back in shape. You'll probably have to spend some more of your retirement time in a cardio rehab program however. But hey, you'll be getting the stronger each day!

Hang in there!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Be thankful you were not in denial and got checked out. Too many of us think that 'denial' is just a river in Egypt! Fatigue issues are a lot better than chest pains. I've been on way too many of those medical calls over the years and many times people didn't heed warning signs early enough.

They can sure do some amazing procedures these days if conditions are caught early like yours was. My doctor told me that you can live a healthy life style and try to limit stress but there's absolutely NOTHING you can do about hereditary factors.

Good luck with your catheterization procedure and hope they get you back in shape. You'll probably have to spend some more of your retirement time in a cardio rehab program however. But hey, you'll be getting the stronger each day!

Hang in there!
    Thanks!
    I am thankful.
    I normally go to the Dr. every 3 months just for the diabetes & blood work tracking other things.
    I didn't realize I'd have rehab after stents, but knew I'd have it after the aortic valve replacement.
    I had "saved" 1/2 of my rehab times I have coming on Medicare that I was using for the arthritis with back, neck & shoulder pain & I'm glad I did.

After all this is over I hope to get some of my endurance back & perhaps a little bit of strength.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Good news!
    I didn't have to have stents. :rockwoot:
    I had 50% blockage in the main artery, not sure of % in the others.
    Not all were blocked at that level, but I was out & didn't get to talk w/Dr.
    It takes 70% blockage for them to get out the stents. :)
    I will quiz Dr. at the follow up for details since I don't know how to read the technical report. :coffee:
    I don't understand how I can have 85% aortic valve blockage, & the arteries be "OK?" :scratch:
    But, I'll take it! :thumbsup:

I know stents are common & no big deal procedurally, but I had the body of a 90 yr old. :ugh:
    Now to wait around to address the plumbing problem, the aortic valve issue, then on to the electrical problem (PDCs).

Last edited:

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Good news!
    I didn't have to have stents. :rockwoot:
    I had 50% blockage just the main artery, not all, I think.
    Not everything was blocked, but I didn't get to talk w/Dr.
    It takes 70% blockage for them to address it!
    I will quiz him at the follow up for details since I don't know how to read the technical report. :coffee:
    I don't understand how I can have 85% aortic valve blockage, & the arteries be "OK?" :scratch:
    But, I'll take it! :thumbsup:

I know stents are common & no big deal procedurally, but I had the body of a 90 yr old. :ugh:
    Now to wait around to address the plumbing problem, the aortic valve issue, then on to the electrical problem (PDCs).
    That's great news...hope you can continue to get upbeat diagnoses!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have so much fun with "the hobby!" :ingo:
    I truly appreciate the distraction, the education & the friendship I find here.
    After 4.5 yrs. I have members I've dealt with repeatedly that contact me to see
    if
    I have anything to sell, since they know I have a "tendency" to buy, shoot, then sell a gun, all just for fun
    at the range & variety of ownership. :rockwoot:
    Just the other day, a friend/member contacted me inquiring
    about
    any CC gun I might be planning to sell.
    I'd already sold/bought/traded with them several times over the years.
    I'd already sold him 3-4 of my CC guns,
    so
    I had no compacts, only a couple of larger CCs I would part with,
    but
    they didn't need those.
    The Ruger Max-9 I recently bought & my Kimber 6s are on my "keeper" list for now.
    I have had members waiting in line for my "new" Max-9,
    which
    I don't "plan" to sell.
    I've always had people waiting to pick up my Kimber 6s
    &
    the market price has really bloomed on those.
    I've been tempted to sell it to help pay for holsters, magazines
    &
    other normal expenses incurred in the hobby.
    Ironically, I ended up buying yet another revolver (a weakness), from them
    that
    I hadn't planned on.
    It was something I'd had a "better"
    &
    more expensive model of years ago,
    but,
    let it go in my ignorance.
    In fact, a friend was planning on buying it
    &
    decided not to & in doing research about it :coffee:, trying to talk him out of it,
    &
    I realized I "needed" it. :lmfao:
    A hobby addiction is a terrible thing to be in the "clutches" of. :dunno:
    All fun! :thumbsup:

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Yes this hobby can sure be addicting but fun...half the fun is NOT knowing what you might run into at LGS or shows. I think it's going to get even MORE interesting as the 'free-money' dries up and people need to start paying their bills they've been allowed to postpone. Might be some interesting things show up.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    As you know, I love my statistics.
    About everything.
    I suppose it's the ex-teacher in me.

Ammo used this year at the range as compared to last year.
    I kept records daily/weekly/monthly of ammo use for 9 months in 2020.
    2020 = 3060 rds per month average (9 months).
    2021 = 1250 rds per month average (8 months).

Shooting only 41% on average per month than last year.
    Ammo costs has everything to do with that in non - .22LR ammo
    and,
    much to do with it with .22LR ammo.

I haven't bought any non - .22LR ammo since Covid in the past 1.5 yrs.
    I bought only a couple of bricks of .22LR ammo in the past 1.5 yrs.
    Yes this hobby can sure be addicting but fun...half the fun is NOT knowing what you might run into at LGS or shows. I think it's going to get even MORE interesting as the 'free-money' dries up and people need to start paying their bills they've been allowed to postpone. Might be some interesting things show up.
    I can only hope.
    But, since ammo is so expensive
    &
    I regret buying a couple of nice 9mm handguns this past year, since I don't shoot them.

Probably will stop buying a gun just to try out like I've done for 4 yrs.
    Still have a weakness for the 22LR, though.
    Picking up a Beretta M9-22 today that I don't need but had so much fun shooting a friend's last week.
    Zachcz bought one I took it to the range & put 220 rds through it & had to have one again. :ugh:
    I sold mine 2 yrs ago, but here I go again, haha!

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    doddg, as long as you are in the system we will have a flow of used guns being bought and sold. Good for us guys who sit on the side line and watch and wait.
    Thank you, buy more sell more!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg, as long as you are in the system we will have a flow of used guns being bought and sold. Good for us guys who sit on the side line and watch and wait.
    Thank you, buy more sell more!
    I bought 2 yesterday, & negotiating on another today, haha!
    I was negotiating for 2 guns that were same, & I ended up just buying both since they were local. :dunno:
    Today's is too far away, so I'm negotiating the price: might or might not buy.

All .22LR, of course!:rockwoot:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    10 more days till the Aortic valve replacement.
    Be glad to get that behind me.

Since I don't shoot 9mm at the range for target practice anymore b/c of fixed retirement income,
    I have sold most of my 9s in the past 6 weeks.
    I knew this was coming, of course
    but,
    the ammo pricing accelerated the pace & gun's soaring costs slowed down purchases.
    My $1000/month medical expenses are up to $1400/month now: WHEW!!!
    I knew I would have to cut back the hobby in retirement
    but,
    I've had one last glorious run the past 2.5 yrs. of retirement.

I only kept two 9s that don't serve a dual purpose, the Ruger Max-9 for a CC
    &
    my best range gun, the CZ Shadow 2, which I have $1400 invested in.
    The Shadow 2 has been my biggest out-of-control hobby expense. :rockwoot:

I've actually had other 3 guns that shot w/i a round of being as accurate at 1/3 the price,
    but they are gone
    & the
    Shadow 2 is still standing, haha! :thumbsup:
    Had the Shadow 2 in my hand yesterday taking pics to send to a friend & was grateful to still have it.

Between the Wizard (llh1956) upgrades & Allen (Diamond Collision) cerakoting it Tungsten Steel & buying SS baseplates for all 3 magazines from Zachcz,
    it is a gem to behold,
    the pinnacle of my hobby aspirations.
    I won't be able to sell it since I have so much money in it
    &
    I need to take 1 of the boxes of my precious 9mm left & run it through,
    just for sheer joy! :rockwoot:

Selling off any .22LR will be difficult since I have what I really want at this point.
    But, I have to ask myself, how many .22LR revolvers does a person need if they own the magnificent
    Dan Wesson 8", 56 oz beauty?!!!
    The answer is 4 others, haha!
    Semi-automatics are even worse!!!
    Decisions, decisions!!! :dunno:

Put 4000 miles on the Yamaha Majesty 400cc maxi-scooter in 5 months.
    That has been a great source of pleasure.
    Nice distraction out cruising 40 mph in the country or just running to the range or Dr. appts., even grocery runs, haha!
    Interesting getting back to my youthful roots briefly.

Tungsten finished pic 7.22.2020.jpg left side x1.jpg left side x2.jpg

At FOP range in Shelbyville:
    July 5, 2021 at range.jpg

Range bag packed up in garage with gun rests & boards under seat
    to leave for Point Blank in Greenwood.
    rear view.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Since I don't shoot 9mm at the range for target practice anymore b/c of fixed retirement income,
    but,
    the ammo pricing accelerated the pace & gun's soaring costs slowed down purchases.
    but,

&

I've actually had other 3 guns that shot w/i a round of being as accurate at 1/3 the price,
    but they are gone
    & the
    Had the Shadow 2 in my hand yesterday taking pics to send to a friend & was grateful to still have it.

Between the Wizard (llh1956) upgrades & Allen (Diamond Collision) cerakoting it Tungsten Steel & buying SS baseplates for all 3 magazines from Zachcz,
    it is a gem to behold,
    &

Selling off any .22LR will be difficult since I have what I really want at this point.
    But, I have to ask myself, how many .22LR revolvers does a person need if they own the magnificent

Nice distraction out cruising 40 mph in the country or just running to the range or Dr. appts., even grocery runs, haha!

View attachment 163703 View attachment 163706 View attachment 163707

View attachment 163709

View attachment 163710

but,
    but,

&

but they are gone
    & the

it is a gem to behold,
    &

but,
    but,

&

but they are gone
    & the

it is a gem to behold,
    &

View attachment 163703 View attachment 163706 View attachment 163707

View attachment 163709

View attachment 163710
    I wish you the best outcome on your surgery and steady hands for the surgeons. You have had a great couple years and though some of us have ribbed you a bit for all your buying /selling/testing, it has been fun for us to!

Sorta like you, shooting in retirement may not be in the cards. If I can achieve my goals to stock up on enough components while I'm working to last me during my retirement years I'll be golden.

But if not, no worries. I, like you have had many hobbies over the years. I'll take up one of those or start a new one.

I have been interested in wood turning lately. I think it would be cool and I could generate some income from it.

Never know what our futures hold.

Post after your surgery to let us know how you are doing.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wish you the best outcome on your surgery and steady hands for the surgeons. You have had a great couple years and though some of us have ribbed you a bit for all your buying /selling/testing, it has been fun for us to!

Sorta like you, shooting in retirement may not be in the cards. If I can achieve my goals to stock up on enough components while I'm working to last me during my retirement years I'll be golden.

But if not, no worries. I, like you have had many hobbies over the years. I'll take up one of those or start a new one.

I have been interested in wood turning lately. I think it would be cool and I could generate some income from it.

Never know what our futures hold.

Post after your surgery to let us know how you are doing.
    :laugh: I've always enjoyed the teasing, like my non-virtual friends, my personal friends can be really edgy!
    I have solid friends here I'm in daily contact with texting or over at their house or they are in my garage drinking my beer, haha!
    Since I'm verbal, it has been fun processing here during different stages of the hobby & sharing my ignorance & getting blasted for it haha!
    I've learned so much!

Thanks for your feedback!
    I certainly will post up after surgery to hopefully tell everyone that unlike the Dr. saying I can't drive for 6 weeks (ridiculous!), I will be back at the range in a few days.
    If I can sneak away when my wife is not looking, ha ha!

It will give me time to sell off the rest of my comics from a hobby the son & I had over 30 yrs. ago.
    I've recently sold over $1500 worth I had left over after selling off 50+ boxes of comics decades ago.
    $500 of that being just in the past month.
    Probably got another $1000 worth left.

Hobbies take up too much space after downsizing into a smaller house, garage & outbuilding.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yesterday, Oct. 26th, was supposed to be the TAVR surgery (aortic valve replacement).
    But, it got delayed for the 3rd time b/c of infections. :wallbash:
    First 2 times was b/c of a tooth infection & extraction & this time b/c of a lifelong fight with severe cellulitis due to lymphedema in left leg, which occurs sporadically since 13 yrs. old.

I went for my TAVR pre-op Wed, the 20th (2nd time), but on Thursday evening I noticed inflammation in left leg, which historically means in a few hours I'm in the hospital for 5 days for antibiotics.
    So far, I seem to have kept ahead of it with antibiotic shots & orals & complete bedrest with leg elevated.
    It is the 1st time in 55 yrs that I've avoided a 5 day hospitalization when inflammation begins & is headed into dangerous territory.

Don't know how this will effect the time frame of the TAVR.
    I was back up on my leg yesterday with the usual compression bandages for 8 hrs & it's no worse this am, so that is encouraging.

I am going to the range this am to try out my latest direction in the hobby: air pistols & another rifle.
    I bought 4 last week, but wasn't able to get to the range.
    I did take an air pistol I had bought the previous week & results were encouraging b/c accurate enough at my level to be fun: 21' & 30' into 1.75" circles, like I do with .22LR w/o optics.
    All spring-powered, break-barrel & bought from members here at INGO!

First air pistol: Weihrauch HW45 22 cal spring air pistol ($440 new).
    left side.jpg

Air Venturi V10 Match spring pistol .177 target. ($270 new)
    left side cropped & portrait.jpg

Diana LP8 Magnum .177 caliber spring pistol bought Thursday. ($300 new)
    Diana Performance LP8 Magnum. .177.jpg

Weihrauch HW35E .177 caliber spring air rifle bought Tuesday. ($530 new)
    box & left side cropped & portrait.jpg

1st air gun bought last spring to test the waters of air guns : Umarex Octane 22 cal spring ($250 new)
    pic of Umarex Octane air rifle.jpg

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Yesterday, Oct. 26th, was supposed to be the TAVR surgery (aortic valve replacement).
    But, it got delayed for the 3rd time b/c of infections. :wallbash:
    First 2 times was b/c of a tooth infection & extraction & this time b/c of a lifelong fight with severe cellulitis due to lymphedema in left leg, which occurs sporadically since 13 yrs. old.

I went for my TAVR pre-op Wed, the 20th (2nd time), but on Thursday evening I noticed inflammation in left leg, which historically means in a few hours I'm in the hospital for 5 days for antibiotics.
    So far, I seem to have kept ahead of it with antibiotic shots & orals & complete bedrest with leg elevated.
    It is the 1st time in 55 yrs that I've avoided a 5 day hospitalization when inflammation begins & is headed into dangerous territory.

Don't know how this will effect the time frame of the TAVR.
    I was back up on my leg yesterday with the usual compression bandages for 8 hrs & it's no worse this am, so that is encouraging.

I am going to the range this am to try out my latest direction in the hobby: air pistols & another rifle.
    I bought 4 last week, but wasn't able to get to the range.
    I did take an air pistol I had bought the previous week & results were encouraging b/c accurate enough at my level to be fun: 21' & 30' into 1.75" circles, like I do with .22LR w/o optics.
    All spring-powered, break-barrel & bought from members here at INGO!

First air pistol: Weihrauch HW45 22 cal spring air pistol ($440 new).
    View attachment 165241

Air Venturi V10 Match spring pistol .177 target. ($270 new)
    View attachment 165242

Diana LP8 Magnum .177 caliber spring pistol bought Thursday. ($300 new)
    View attachment 165243

Weihrauch HW35E .177 caliber spring air rifle bought Tuesday. ($530 new)
    View attachment 165244

1st air gun bought last spring to test the waters of air guns : Umarex Octane 22 cal spring ($250 new)
    View attachment 165245
    Great looking air guns Doddg. I've been in retirement since April and have only purchased ammo to feed the pistols and shotguns. Have had some home expenses that have tied up funds. It is nice to see that their is an option for our mutual hobby that won't break the bank.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Great looking air guns Doddg. I've been in retirement since April and have only purchased ammo to feed the pistols and shotguns. Have had some home expenses that have tied up funds. It is nice to see that their is an option for our mutual hobby that won't break the bank.
    Just got back from the range & it took me over 3 hours to get through 100 pellets, but that includes more than just shooting, of course.
    Loading 1 pellet at a time slows things down, & today I had to adjust rear sights on 2 of them, slowing me down even further.
    100 rds x .02 cents = $2 for 2 hrs of fun!
    It'll cost me double that when I have to order more pellets since I got these at pre-Covid cost, haha!

Top Bottom