Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Things going better today:
    – sore/swollen throat is very tolerable today
    – when I breathe in deep my chest/heart doesn't ache at all
    – Last night and in the middle of the night my blood pressure shot up to 170/80
    Just now it was 148/52,
    So,
    Looks like it will get down to the usual 130/70

All the above things are normal for getting a new valve,
    but,
    since I've never had a new one before it did make me wonder, ha ha!

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Things going better today:
    – sore/swollen throat is very tolerable today
    – when I breathe in deep my chest/heart doesn't ache at all
    – Last night and in the middle of the night my blood pressure shot up to 170/80
    Just now it was 148/52,
    So,
    Looks like it will get down to the usual 130/70

All the above things are normal for getting a new valve,
    but,
    since I've never had a new one before it did make me wonder, ha ha!
    Glad your new valve procedure went good and was quick...most automotive valve jobs take a lot longer ... LOL. Hope your recovery continues and you can get back to normal activities soon...so you can get that blood pumping unrestricted now!

But, make sure you follow doctors orders and don't try to do TOO MUCH TOO SOON! Increase your workouts over time...slow and steady wins the race.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Glad your new valve procedure went good and was quick...most automotive valve jobs take a lot longer ... LOL. Hope your recovery continues and you can get back to normal activities soon...so you can get that blood pumping unrestricted now!

But, make sure you follow doctors orders and don't try to do TOO MUCH TOO SOON! Increase your workouts over time...slow and steady wins the race.
    Absolute funniest thing I've heard all day talking about automotive valves taking longer, ha ha!

For me, that is the hard part:
    Don't try to do too much, too soon.
    I have been fairly limited
    &
    moving slow because of fatigue.

I'm hoping that simply resuming what I'm doing will be a piece a cake
    but
    I will be slow about getting back to the gym.
    I do have a small yard in my lawnmower has power in all four wheels so it's long but can walk I think I'll be fine mulching leaves and the sort of thing I would normally do this time of year.
    I hoisted up the 50 pound salt bags into the water softener even before
    I came in the hospital
    so
    I don't have to do that for another month, ha ha!

I do intend to go to the range Friday, ha ha!
    My wife might pitch a fit,
    so
    we'll see how that goes, ha ha!

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Absolute funniest thing I've heard all day talking about automotive valves taking longer, ha ha!

For me, that is the hard part:
    Don't try to do too much, too soon.
    I have been fairly limited
    &
    moving slow because of fatigue.

I'm hoping that simply resuming what I'm doing will be a piece a cake
    but
    I will be slow about getting back to the gym.
    I do have a small yard in my lawnmower has power in all four wheels so it's long but can walk I think I'll be fine mulching leaves and the sort of thing I would normally do this time of year.
    I hoisted up the 50 pound salt bags into the water softener even before
    I came in the hospital
    so
    I don't have to do that for another month, ha ha!

I do intend to go to the range Friday, ha ha!
    My wife might pitch a fit,
    so
    we'll see how that goes, ha ha!
    Glad you have a self propelled mower to make things easier but be careful lifting those heavy bags.

Maybe she'll let you go to the range if you let her drive you there, carry your gear, setup your targets, gather your brass...nah...forget that suggestion...LOL

But with winter and snow right around the corner DON"T think you can go right out and shovel snow. We see WAY too many chest pains medical calls for guys doing that much strenuous work so quickly. You're all bundled up...temperature shoots up...heart rate and blood pressure skyrocket...bad combo! That's a very risky activity especially during recovery!

Take it easy so you are still around to ENJOY the things you really like to do.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Glad you have a self propelled mower to make things easier but be careful lifting those heavy bags.

Maybe she'll let you go to the range if you let her drive you there, carry your gear, setup your targets, gather your brass...nah...forget that suggestion...LOL

But with winter and snow right around the corner DON"T think you can go right out and shovel snow. We see WAY too many chest pains medical calls for guys doing that much strenuous work so quickly. You're all bundled up...temperature shoots up...heart rate and blood pressure skyrocket...bad combo! That's a very risky activity especially during recovery!

Those 50# bags are hard enough b/c of no handles like the 40#
    I wouldn't even think of trying it till about 6 weeks from now when
    I would have to put two more bags in.

Good point about the range.
    My range bag can get quite heavy
    &
    I never even thought of that!

I have a snowblower that I haven't had to use the past two years
    but
    this could be the winter I get it out.
    I always enjoy the work-out shoveling a little driveway
    and
    sidewalk now that I moved
    &
    I don't have 50yds and a landing to shovel.

Last edited:

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    those 50 pound bags are hard enough,
    I wouldn't even think of trying it trying it till about 6 weeks from now when I would have to put two more bags in.

good point about the range.
    My range bag can get quite heavy
    &
    I never even thought of that!

I have a snowblower for snow that I haven't had to use the past two years but this could be the winner I got to get it out.
    I always enjoy the work out shoveling a little driveway
    and
    sidewalk now that I moved
    &
    I don't have 50yds and a landing to shovel.
    Well just be careful ENJOYING your shoveling during recovery...moderation, moderation...got it?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got home Wednesday mid-afternoon after the surgery.
    Didn't feel that great mid-afternoon & evening & mostly slept, then slept some more, then went to bed about 9 pm.
    I think I'd been running on adrenaline since right after the surgery b/c of the relief & happiness of getting it behind me.
    I just crashed after getting home, since I could feel it in the car driving home (Carol drove, ha).

I don't feel like doing much b/c it took more out of me than I realized.
    It's usually hard for me to take it easy after hospitalizations, but I'll not renew my gym membership this week or this month, haha!

Being homebound certainly doesn't do anything for my mental health.
    Perhaps I'll channel my wanting to be running errands hither & thither by traveling out to the garage & shed to organize the shelves & the tools, haha!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Got home Wednesday mid-afternoon after the surgery.
    Didn't feel that great mid-afternoon & evening & mostly slept, then slept some more, then went to bed about 9 pm.
    I think I'd been running on adrenaline since right after the surgery b/c of the relief & happiness of getting it behind me.
    I just crashed after getting home, since I could feel it in the car driving home (Carol drove, ha).

I don't feel like doing much b/c it took more out of me than I realized.
    It's usually hard for me to take it easy after hospitalizations, but I'll not renew my gym membership this week or this month, haha!

Being homebound certainly doesn't do anything for my mental health.
    Perhaps I'll channel my wanting to be running errands hither & thither by traveling out to the garage & shed to organize the shelves & the tools, haha!
    I'm no doctor, but pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and getting after it shortly after major surgery is asking for trouble. I'm fairly certain we lost our CEO after heart valve replacement because she felt so great. Great enough that two weeks post surgery, she jumped her car and drove 14 hours non-stop, visited her mother the next day and then drove 14 hours back the following. The next day walking her dog she died from a clot.

It may be hard mentally to stay down, but find something that will occupy your mind. Your body is telling you it needs rest. Don't override it because you are typically a high energy guy.:twocents:

There has been too many deaths this year from people I know. I/we don't want to hear that you added to the count.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm no doctor, but pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and getting after it shortly after major surgery is asking for trouble. I'm fairly certain we lost our CEO after heart valve replacement because she felt so great. Great enough that two weeks post surgery, she jumped her car and drove 14 hours non-stop, visited her mother the next day and then drove 14 hours back the following. The next day walking her dog she died from a clot.

It may be hard mentally to stay down, but find something that will occupy your mind. Your body is telling you it needs rest. Don't override it because you are typically a high energy guy.:twocents:

There has been too many deaths this year from people I know. I/we don't want to hear that you added to the count.
    I take to heart what you are saying,
    and am grateful for you to have said it.
    When the doctors told me I couldn't drive for six weeks after my hip replacement,
    I was driving after eight days,
    so I know they are generally over the top in their restrictions.
    But,
    I had a 60-year-old uncle who was a strong bear of a man out shoveling snow and
    he just fell over dead which was a shock to all of us.
    I never forgot it since I know I have the same propensity to do something like that.
    My arthritis has already forced me to slowed me down so much
    and
    coupled with this heart valve & the fatigue accompanying it,
    I do "get it" that I have to slow down.

I realize that if I start feeling more energy after this valve replacement
    I had better be on my guard not to try to push it.

Again, thanks for taking the time for your warning which I actually heard better than coming from my doctors, ha ha!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

I have a snow blower that will facilitate snow removal, haha!

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I have a snow blower that will facilitate snow removal, haha!
    Still...heed the great advice you got above and realize that YOUR body is telling...no demanding...you back off. You don't want to get to the point that it's screaming at you.... "Hey DA...aren't you listening to me?"

Any thing that you think you need to get done right now can't be more important than your recovery and it will STILL be there after you get stronger. Organizing shelves? Sorry that kinda stuff can wait. Instead find something to binge watch on Netflix...like Ozark or Punisher or The Last Kingdom...or watch Extraction again...

The last thing you want is to slip backwards in your recovery or make matters worse.

Give it time, it takes longer to heal the older we get! Get it? Got it! Good!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Still...heed the great advice you got above and realize that YOUR body is telling...no demanding...you back off. You don't want to get to the point that it's screaming at you.... "Hey DA...aren't you listening to me?"

Any thing that you think you need to get done right now can't be more important than your recovery and it will STILL be there after you get stronger. Organizing shelves? Sorry that kinda stuff can wait. Instead find something to binge watch on Netflix...like Ozark or Punisher or The Last Kingdom...or watch Extraction again...

The last thing you want is to slip backwards in your recovery or make matters worse.

Give it time, it takes longer to heal the older we get! Get it? Got it! Good!
    I thought that organizing the shelves would be the most mundane & safe thing I could think of to keep out of trouble, which is why they don't get organized, haha!
    I'd rather to to the range or anything else.
    I talked to a follow-up nurse today.
    She encouraged me to not just sit it the chair all day
    but,
    get up & walk around a bit.
    Once I get up though, I don't trust myself not to get something done.
    Perhaps I'll limit myself to organizing my gun room, even I can't find things anymore, haha!

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got up at 4:45 am to go to a Men's Bible study like I do every Friday.
    I had to miss everything for a couple of weeks when I had my cellulitis going on before heart surgery.
    For spiritual activities, I like Friday am better than 2 other Bible studies I go to & even Sunday worship services.
    It's my favorite thing to do all week.

Going to run a couple other medical errands today & tag along with the wife for a "turkey run" at Meijer.
    She won't let me drive, haha!

Nice to get out of the house.
    Never even put pants on yesterday, so I'm taking it easy, haha!

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Got my range invoice for 2022 and found they upped the cost 40 bucks.
    Started looking at other places and found one that has a discount for age 62 and up.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got my range invoice for 2022 and found they upped the cost 40 bucks.
    Started looking at other places and found one that has a discount for age 62 and up.
    I hear you!
    I only have M-F membership at Point Blank b/c I pay a reduced rate of $20/mo (I think $25/mo now for new members).
    I don't get to go on weekends, but I never did anyway b/c of too many people waiting in line.
    When I go, it's for 3 hours+/-.
    If I only go for 2 hours, the rangemaster always asks what's wrong, haha!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It may sound funny to most, but I kinda wish they would increase our range membership rate. More money for improvements and hopefully less riff raff.

I go almost every week so I get my money's worth. :)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Been 10 days since surgery & I've always felt fine, but I don't see any higher level of energy yet.
    I still feel as lazy as before, haha!
    Can't wait to mow grass or go bicycle riding with the wife to see if a difference.

No push ups or even manipulating the spring-powered break-barrel on the air guns.
    I have enjoyed shooting .357/38 & .22LR once this past week.
    Worked in the gun room straightening up & think I will do the same today.
    I find things I didn't know I own at this point, haha!

I'll find out in December now that the "plumbing" part of the heart has been addressed (aortic valve replacement), when Drs. will work on the "electrical" issue (heart skipping beats).
    Hope that an "ablation" (new word in my vocabulary, haha), will address it instead of a pacemaker.

I really look forward to shooting this winter.
    Last "winter" when it was above 40 I would hit the outdoor range since shooting rifles at 50 yds was so fun.

Top Bottom