• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Retirement update again. :)
    After the last week of being uncharacteristically discouraged with life events, yesterday was a blast!

Yesterday started out with a 7 am call from my 35 yr. old son that his previous day's small water leak had expanded from the 2nd floor bathroom.
    It had nothing to do with last week's tile job in another bathroom, fortunately.
    It ended up being a simple matter of replacing the corroded shutoff valves (no water softener).
    Both broke off in my contractor friend's hands while trying to take them off: would have happened with just the water pressure if not caught early.

I was thrilled by my son missing the bullet (pun intended) over the pipe not bursting & my friend being available to help since he was between jobs this week.

That same friend wanted to go with me to Bedford just for the drive.
    He has a 2015 Corvette that he is so proud off: his last one after nearly 40 yrs. of 'Vettes.
    I started out the day intending to buy 2 guns in Bedford, but ended up with 3. :dunno:
    My idea of a grand day: helping the son & saving him $$ & grief & a fun drive in the country & gun purchasing.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I love a story with a happy ending! :):

:laugh: I've been working so much the past 3 weeks at the son's house that I haven't been to the range in nearly 3 weeks.
    Now I have a reason to live again: "new" handguns & even a brand new rifle to try out (besides the brand new CZ 457 Trainer)!
    If a plumbing part comes in, Friday I have to work as the "helper" with my contractor friend & finish up some other work.
    But, I need to paint the shed that we rebuilt. :dunno:
    More fun to go to the range when the work is done. :rockwoot:

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Reloading is its own hobby. It is the only way to reduce it cost of ammunition. If you're into accurate rifles, a tuned hand-load will generally reduce your group size by half, so reloading is just part of that game. A cost effective single stage set up will generally pay for itself in about 1,000 rounds. It will produce quality ammunition, just not at the same speed as a good progressive from Dillon or Hornady. Still, it is a hobby all by itself, so I can totally understand not wanting to bother with it.

As far as retirement goes, if you're both already on Medicare, by all means go for it. You've put in your time. Now it's time to enjoy what you have left together. My parents were both forced to retire a little earlier than they had planned. They still had a little bit of debt at the time, but they had always lived within their means, despite not having much anyway. Both of them agree that retiring was the best thing that ever did with respect to work.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Reloading is its own hobby. It is the only way to reduce it cost of ammunition. If you're into accurate rifles, a tuned hand-load will generally reduce your group size by half, so reloading is just part of that game

Reloading is the only way I can afford to shoot most of my centerfire guns. In the case of 9mm it was relatively affordable to shoot factory ammo until the pandemic/riots. Luckily I have components to load 9mm for a while. On the precision rifle shooting match bullet reloads have always shot extremely well for me and a lot less than factory match ammo.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Reloading for pistol is the way to go IMO.
    That said, we had pretty cheap ammo prices the last several years. If your idea of going to the range meant you had to stop at Walmart first, you're now experiencing self inflicted wounds.
    Good brass cased 5.56 was available for 27 cents a round a year ago.
    Prices and availability will return. Stock up when they do.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just finished up a laundry list of work at my son's house today, after 3 weeks of work. :rockwoot:
    There will be more in the future to look forward to. :ugh:

After my 6 am & 7:30 am appts. tomorrow, I will get range time.
    1st time shooting of 3 different new-to-me guns: my idea of a good time! :)

I've never considered reloading.
    I have friends (out of state) that hunt & have always reloaded.
    Time & space is premium.
    I don't even have the room anyway after downsizing 3 yrs. ago.

I've always shot alot of .22LR & 9mm and .22LR is most of my hobby now, especially with rifles with the new-to-me outdoor range available.
    I also stocked enough to last till things cycle back down & narrowed the calibers needed.
    Picked up 4.4 cents per rd. of .22LR (500 rds/box x 4 box limit = 2000 rds.) at Rural King yesterday when I was in there picking up another .22 rifle.
    I will also cut back on my number of days in a week I go to the range & rounds per visit.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Reloading is its own hobby. It is the only way to reduce it cost of ammunition. If you're into accurate rifles, a tuned hand-load will generally reduce your group size by half, so reloading is just part of that game. A cost effective single stage set up will generally pay for itself in about 1,000 rounds. It will produce quality ammunition, just not at the same speed as a good progressive from Dillon or Hornady. Still, it is a hobby all by itself, so I can totally understand not wanting to bother with it.

As far as retirement goes, if you're both already on Medicare, by all means go for it. You've put in your time. Now it's time to enjoy what you have left together. My parents were both forced to retire a little earlier than they had planned. They still had a little bit of debt at the time, but they had always lived within their means, despite not having much anyway. Both of them agree that retiring was the best thing that ever did with respect to work.

X2 on the single stage for rifle accuracy. Reloading is my solitude.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    ..........As far as retirement goes, if you're both already on Medicare, by all means go for it.
    You've put in your time. Now it's time to enjoy what you have left together.
    My parents were both forced to retire a little earlier than they had planned.
    They still had a little bit of debt at the time, but they had always lived within their means, despite not having much anyway.
    Both of them agree that retiring was the best thing that ever did with respect to work.

Yes, we are both retired & on Medicare (me only for 1 year).
    Medical has always been my biggest monthly/yearly expense. :fogey:
    My saving grace economically is that moneywise is that I've never allowed myself to have debt except house.
    So, getting the house finally paid off a few years back was huge in discretionary monies. :spend:
    I pay less than half in taxes every month retired, so that is a great source of "income."
    Your parents sound like my kind of people in how they handle expenses.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    think how much more money you would have if you would just take my advice on 22 rifles

Yes, we are both retired & on Medicare (me only for 1 year).
    Medical has always been my biggest monthly/yearly expense. :fogey:
    My saving grace economically is that moneywise is that I've never allowed myself to have debt except house.
    So, getting the house finally paid off a few years back was huge in discretionary monies. :spend:
    I pay less than half in taxes every month retired, so that is a great source of "income."
    Your parents sound like my kind of people in how they handle expenses.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    think how much more money you would have if you would just take my advice on 22 rifles 

Yes, I have to admit your $250 Savage rifle at my own hands beat all my more expensive, but moderately priced, Rugers (10/22 & RPR), which drives me nuts!:dunno:
    Since I now have 100 yards available I have bought 3 more .22LR rifles.
    It will be interesting to see what I keep, b/c for now I'm not in a hurry to sell anything & actually wish I had a bevy of .22LR rifles like I have of .22LR handguns.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    don’t forget to mention your upgraded barrels and triggers and trigger jobs lol

Yes, I have to admit your $250 Savage rifle at my own hands beat all my more expensive, but moderately priced, Rugers (10/22 & RPR), which drives me nuts!:dunno:
    Since I now have 100 yards available I have bought 3 more .22LR rifles.
    It will be interesting to see what I keep, b/c for now I'm not in a hurry to sell anything & actually wish I had a bevy of .22LR rifles like I have of .22LR handguns.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    don’t forget to mention your upgraded barrels and triggers and trigger jobs lol

The RPR does have a Green Mountain barrel from the previous owner, I can only wish it had a lighter trigger.
    The 10/22 does have a slightly better trigger installed by the previous owner, but I wish it was lighter.
    I have 2 other rifles that need the trigger adjusted lighter (CZ 457 Trainer & a simple Savage Mark 2 F), but I am reluctant to try it by myself since there is an X factor with adjusting 1 of the 3 adjuster too much.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Retirement update again. :)
    After the last week of being uncharacteristically discouraged with life events, yesterday was a blast!

Yesterday started out with a 7 am call from my 35 yr. old son that his previous day's small water leak had expanded from the 2nd floor bathroom.
    It had nothing to do with last week's tile job in another bathroom, fortunately.
    It ended up being a simple matter of replacing the corroded shutoff valves (no water softener).
    Both broke off in my contractor friend's hands while trying to take them off: would have happened with just the water pressure if not caught early.

I was thrilled by my son missing the bullet (pun intended) over the pipe not bursting & my friend being available to help since he was between jobs this week.

That same friend wanted to go with me to Bedford just for the drive.
    He has a 2015 Corvette that he is so proud off: his last one after nearly 40 yrs. of 'Vettes.
    I started out the day intending to buy 2 guns in Bedford, but ended up with 3. :dunno:
    My idea of a grand day: helping the son & saving him $$ & grief & a fun drive in the country & gun purchasing.
    Sounds more fun than my day was! Not retired yet...:(

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Filing 2020 TAXES :popcorn:

2019 was 1/2 year working & 1/2 year retired but no real change in taxes bill, except I owed a bit in federal I had never experienced before. :scratch:
    2020 was 1st full year of Retirement only income.

Surprise! :rockwoot:
    I had XX amount deducted from my monthly pension payments to cover all estimated taxes due.
    I overpaid 32% too much :thumbsup:.

Not having to pay taxes on the first $40,000ish of your retirement income apparently is the secret.
    That, and a reduced income. :(

I intend to reduce amount taken out of my pension to cover taxes b/c I like to break even, not get alot back or owe.
    Next year, if I'm still overpaying, I'll fine tune it again.

The X factor is how much I take out of the retirement "pile" for extra expenses (this year was for the Italy trip that didn't happen.
    Fortunately, the company managing my retirement account took out more than necessary to cover for taxes, so I didn't owe to make up the difference.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I too like to keep my tax liability in the break even catagory if possible. Usually means adjusting the amount of federal tax withheld from pension and S.S. every year. I also overpaid a little more than normal this year.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I am officially off the clock at the end of the month.
    Not sure about financing any new guns. Sitting good there and prices are a bit salty.
    Might have to hit the range soon and wanting to take my BIL.
    He's badly diabetic and not sure how long he'll be able to go do this.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I too like to keep my tax liability in the break even catagory if possible. Usually means adjusting the amount of federal tax withheld from pension and S.S. every year. I also overpaid a little more than normal this year.
    I didn’t opt to have any taxes withheld from my social security, but elected to have all taxes taken from my pension.

I can easily change the amount deducted for both federal and/or
    state taxes from just 1 source that way.
    Efficient.

This was my 1st year fully retired for the tax year.
    I figure it will take 3 years to get it
    w/i a few bucks.
    Before that happens, taxes will have increased and will remain in flux, with government spending out of control.

I can’t remember which one of the founding fathers said the republic would be in trouble when people realized in a democracy could simply vote themselves money, or something to that effect.

Top Bottom