• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, I can't say I have ever seen any "Clique" gang up on any member. I would say 99% of the time, I agree with almost all of the posts on this site. When I don't, while I sure don't have any problem stating my views, I do try to stay civil. I do enjoy hearing from new members, but also have to say I have seen some remarks made to them to be a little snide. Seems to be some preconceived idea that the only reason they are joining the forum is to use the classifieds. Maybe I am just a little too trusting as I like to give them the benefit of the doubt. However the moderators have done an excellent job keeping this site civil and normally welcoming to most new members. I certainly wouldn't try to tell them how to do their job (nor want their job). I am sure they have a lot more information than I, as I usually visit this forum, and view the rifle and handgun forums less frequently.

I know that when I joined, the classified was the last thing I joined for and had little interest in most of the items there even after my 50 posts. Being a collector and 75 (soon to be 76 years old), I don't get to shoot as much as most on this site. However I still go to almost every gun show, just completed an AR build (haven't shot it yet), and am still actively purchasing firearms and other items. I do occasionally view the classified but seldom find anything I like for a price I can justify especially when pickup is required in Indy and I live about 50 mi north.

There are many here that are sharing a great deal of knowledge, and I for one appreciate this, although sometimes it is hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. I do appreciate that those who share their sometimes hard earned knowledge. I have two main hobbies, firearms and woodworking. This site and my favorite woodworking site are visited almost daily.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hold the phone! If I'm getting this right, CM has upped the ante from cheeseburgers to essentially an all-expenses paid meet and shoot consisting of:

1) Transportation to and from the range
    2) Access to the LT6 arsenal while at the range
    3) Free ammo

I hate you CM. I really really hate you and INGO, and all the mods and Texkev. But mostly you.

Is it working yet?

Yes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, I can't say I have ever seen any "Clique" gang up on any member. I would say 99% of the time, I agree with almost all of the posts on this site. When I don't, while I sure don't have any problem stating my views, I do try to stay civil. I do enjoy hearing from new members, but also have to say I have seen some remarks made to them to be a little snide. Seems to be some preconceived idea that the only reason they are joining the forum is to use the classifieds. Maybe I am just a little too trusting as I like to give them the benefit of the doubt. However the moderators have done an excellent job keeping this site civil and normally welcoming to most new members. I certainly wouldn't try to tell them how to do their job (nor want their job). I am sure they have a lot more information than I, as I usually visit this forum, and view the rifle and handgun forums less frequently.

I know that when I joined, the classified was the last thing I joined for and had little interest in most of the items there even after my 50 posts. Being a collector and 75 (soon to be 76 years old), I don't get to shoot as much as most on this site. However I still go to almost every gun show, just completed an AR build (haven't shot it yet), and am still actively purchasing firearms and other items. I do occasionally view the classified but seldom find anything I like for a price I can justify especially when pickup is required in Indy and I live about 50 mi north.

There are many here that are sharing a great deal of knowledge, and I for one appreciate this, although sometimes it is hard to separate the wheat from the chaff. I do appreciate that those who share their sometimes hard earned knowledge. I have two main hobbies, firearms and woodworking. This site and my favorite woodworking site are visited almost daily.

In the part that many look at newbies in this fashion is a holdover from the onslaught of flippers the forum received right around the sandyhook madness. Many are still here residing in the classifieds with 50 to 55 posts and a few years membership. Hundreds of post in the classy's. That is where this comes from.
    I see these members everyday in my capacity. I have no personal feelings towards them as they put a lot of things up for he members to look at and possibly add to their safe.
    What I do not appreciate is those who profit from the site with no supporter or advertising colors. That twists my panty's up.
    Just so some of you may come to see why we are protective of our site/community. To see this as anything else is not what it truly is.

Now that Angry Rooster guy.......:lmfao:

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Everyone here was a newbie at some point. I've made some good friends here that I'd never have known otherwise. Indiucky, Churchmouse, Dudley, etc. I've met several people here for lunch, talked reloading, even my buy/sell meetings have usually had a conversation attached. All are good people and if we're a clique it's because we clicked...so to speak. We made friends, like people who socialize tend to do once they discover common interests etc.

Folks who complain they can't find a group of friends probably ought to look up Raylon Given's quote on the matter of social interaction. But we all know those people in real life, too. They expect to walk into a strange barbershop and immediately join the banter. They hop churches because they've went to the last one for two weeks and haven't been made a deacon yet. They expect the promotion the guy who's worked there for 5 years longer is next in line for, and then complain about favoritism when he gets it. They are just incredibly special and it hurts that others don't immediately recognize that.

And if your response is a lecture to me, then those three lines are taken totally out of context.

Reading them in the totality of the post, you see that I was essentially making the same point you are, except by poking fun at many of the previous posts.

The point being, every forum like this is made up of people from different viewpoints with different opinions. That is both the beauty and the curse. And the folks who see no viewpoint other than their own are missing a lot.

And this is the downside of being new. I don't know you well enough to gauge how you interpreted those three lines. And since I didn't have 50 posts, the downside is I couldn't send you a PM to clarify. I had to respond in a public manner.

And now the danger is you are someone else may misinterpret this response and so on and so on.

The upside is, I may get to 50 posts just in this thread.:rockwoot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And if your response is a lecture to me, then those three lines are taken totally out of context.

Reading them in the totality of the post, you see that I was essentially making the same point you are, except by poking fun at many of the previous posts.

The point being, every forum like this is made up of people from different viewpoints with different opinions. That is both the beauty and the curse. And the folks who see no viewpoint other than their own are missing a lot.

And this is the downside of being new. I don't know you well enough to gauge how you interpreted those three lines. And since I didn't have 50 posts, the downside is I couldn't send you a PM to clarify. I had to respond in a public manner.

And now the danger is you are someone else may misinterpret this response and so on and so on.

The upside is, I may get to 50 posts just in this thread.:rockwoot:

I think you are mis-interpreting his post.

In the printed word it is sometimes difficult to put the proper tone in your text.

Just saying.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    like I said I am new to this forum and kind of learning the ropes I guess.... I really did not have a specific reason to join this forum I just thought it would be cool and I could get information and learn new things.. I don't care about the 50 post rule doesn't make me in difference If I was just here to buy/sell/trade I would have just paid the $20 and bypassed the 50 post anyway...just saying!!! but, when someone is new and you have no idea who they are or what they are about saying anything negative is not right it is very discouraging... don't get me wrong i am not a sensitive cry baby but it did rub me the wrong way normally I would have told this person to mind there own F****** business... But, again I am new on here so thought better of that so do not take my concern on this matter as weakness because its not... just trying to figure this forum and everything it has to offer out...again I consider myself as thick skinned but, when it feels like someone is personally attacking me than that's one thing I WILL NOT TOLERATE!!! EVER!! and when you send me a PM running your mouth about something I said and you know nothing about me and you see that I just started on this forum then yes I think that's BS!!!!! Now, I have said my piece about it and hope we can move on. I hope to meet interesting people and learn new things... Thanks everyone:ingo:
    FYI - it's taken me a while to learn the nuances of INGO. Still not up to speed. But, 1 thing i did learn... DO NOT make the mistake of referring to a LTCH as a CCW (that's what they are called in my native Commiefornia). There will be a lot of :popcorn: and :runaway: to see who will be the first to post the correction. :):
    BTW - :welcome: Lots of good info and peeps on here, as well as some cranky folks. Take things in stride and enjoy the ride.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...What I do not appreciate is those who profit from the site with no supporter or advertising colors. That twists my panty's up....

This is easily cured by a change in the rules prohibiting high volume sales without paid membership and or paid advertising.

Usually accomplished by mod/admins coming to a consensus on the issue and gaining the site owners agreement. Been there, done that on another forum.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    In the part that many look at newbies in this fashion is a holdover from the onslaught of flippers the forum received right around the sandyhook madness. Many are still here residing in the classifieds with 50 to 55 posts and a few years membership. Hundreds of post in the classy's. That is where this comes from.
    I see these members everyday in my capacity. I have no personal feelings towards them as they put a lot of things up for he members to look at and possibly add to their safe.
    What I do not appreciate is those who profit from the site with no supporter or advertising colors. That twists my panty's up.
    Just so some of you may come to see why we are protective of our site/community. To see this as anything else is not what it truly is.

My :twocents:

Being protective is fine. As a mod, part of your job is to look for this kind of stuff and stop it.

The problem is, there are a number of members here that are downright rude to people they assume to be runners. In many cases the targets of their ire aren't even truly running.

If those people feel so strongly about it, they should report it and go on with their business. Making rude posts and giving negative rep is too much. Especially when it gets to the where most any short post made by a new member gets attacked. I imagine a number of people have been driven away by this nonsense over the years, and that is a shame. Instead of defending this rude behavior it should be frowned upon.

I had a couple do it to me when I joined, and I didn't even know there was a classified section at that time. In fact, I have yet to purchase anything from there in the 5 1/2 years I have been a member. On the other hand I have met a number of great people here and made some good friends. It is sad to think that I could have missed out on that because of how some other members here acted early on.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

:):

coco-the-rooster-the-rooster-is-always-watching.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Being protective is fine. As a mod, part of your job is to look for this kind of stuff and stop it.

The problem is, there are a number of members here that are downright rude to people they assume to be runners. In many cases the targets of their ire aren't even truly running.

If those people feel so strongly about it, they should report it and go on with their business. Making rude posts and giving negative rep is too much. Especially when it gets to the where most any short post made by a new member gets attacked. I imagine a number of people have been driven away by this nonsense over the years, and that is a shame. Instead of defending this rude behavior it should be frowned upon.

I had a couple do it to me when I joined, and I didn't even know there was a classified section at that time. In fact, I have yet to purchase anything from there in the 5 1/2 years I have been a member. On the other hand I have met a number of great people here and made some good friends. It is sad to think that I could have missed out on that because of how some other members here acted early on.

Some people can be rude of course.
    Know that I have sent some strong PM's when I see this happening.
    In a membership as diverse as this one there will be all kinds and sorts of people.
    In the end it is just the internet as we were so kindly reminded up thread...:)

Tough up people. There is a hazing process in every aspect of life. I went through it. I had the chip on my shoulder for a while when 1st here. It was summarily knocked off repeatedly when needed. I get it now.

All this said lets go get a good burger and run the ever loving snot out of some guns.....:cool:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

Yep, I've been part of a negative rep pile on, actually a couple. And in each case I'll stand by my opinion that it was deserved. The times the negative rep have been used have been when someone was clearly running, making NO effort to contribute at all, flat out said they didn't care about anything in the forum besides using it as a marketplace, made nasty & rude comments to those that have politely warned them what they were doing was against the rules (and yes, most warnings are very civil to start with), read the warnings and completely ignore them multiple times. The negative rep came out when at least a couple of these happened.

There is still at least a couple classified squatters that are red from it. They were warned, ignored it & didn't care. Most did it right in front of quite a few people while it was being discussed. One managed to squeak through without being dinged for it at and is still doing it. He joined in 2012 and didn't do much at all until last year when he decided he wanted to use the classifieds. Made a run and squeaked through back in May 2016. Hit his 50 and went straight to the classifieds to camp out. It's been almost a year since he got his numbers and he's sitting at 54 regular posts. He's a site supporter now at least, but that's a very recent event. He's proven to me that he doesn't care about anything besides his personal marketplace. IMO the red has been deserved in all the cases I've seen it used in.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We did reach out to him with an invite to an LT-6 gathering not to far from where he allegedly lives. We even set up a ride for him when the excuses started coming. Then he stated he did not have a lot of ammo and we stated he did not need any. We would put up any thing he cared to shoot and supply the ammo.

I'll note you've never invited me to shoot, given me a ride, or provided me with ammunition. It's obvious that he's elite and one of the Good Ol' Boys and all I rank is a hunk of dead cow between two slabs of processed wheat. Makes me a little sad, really.

Nothing a hunk of dead cow wouldn't fix, though.....:whistle:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'll note you've never invited me to shoot, given me a ride, or provided me with ammunition. It's obvious that he's elite and one of the Good Ol' Boys and all I rank is a hunk of dead cow between two slabs of processed wheat. Makes me a little sad, really.

Nothing a hunk of dead cow wouldn't fix, though.....:whistle:

Well......yeah. That will fix about anything.

In this I do not want to be shown up. I surround myself with those of like ability's. Makes me feel....well....special.

Man I can see it coming now.......:runaway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, I've been part of a negative rep pile on, actually a couple. And in each case I'll stand by my opinion that it was deserved. The times the negative rep have been used have been when someone was clearly running, making NO effort to contribute at all, flat out said they didn't care about anything in the forum besides using it as a marketplace, made nasty & rude comments to those that have politely warned them what they were doing was against the rules (and yes, most warnings are very civil to start with), read the warnings and completely ignore them multiple times. The negative rep came out when at least a couple of these happened.

There is still at least a couple classified squatters that are red from it. They were warned, ignored it & didn't care. Most did it right in front of quite a few people while it was being discussed. One managed to squeak through without being dinged for it at and is still doing it. He joined in 2012 and didn't do much at all until last year when he decided he wanted to use the classifieds. Made a run and squeaked through back in May 2016. Hit his 50 and went straight to the classifieds to camp out. It's been almost a year since he got his numbers and he's sitting at 54 regular posts. He's a site supporter now at least, but that's a very recent event. He's proven to me that he doesn't care about anything besides his personal marketplace. IMO the red has been deserved in all the cases I've seen it used in.

This one is a supporter from a strong suggestion he become one.

Use the classy's all you want but remember, it is a perk for "Active" members or site supporters. Yes, pay to play as in all aspects of this life.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Some people can be rude of course.
    Know that I have sent some strong PM's when I see this happening.
    In a membership as diverse as this one there will be all kinds and sorts of people.
    In the end it is just the internet as we were so kindly reminded up thread...:)

Tough up people. There is a hazing process in every aspect of life. I went through it. I had the chip on my shoulder for a while when 1st here. It was summarily knocked off repeatedly when needed. I get it now.

All this said lets go get a good burger and run the ever loving snot out of some guns.....:cool:
    If you ever make up to NWI, you'll have to come over and we can shoot and then cook some burgers on the grill. :):

Top Bottom