• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here's some better shots of my Mauser. The old ones had a redish tint to them for some reason.
    completed8.jpg

completed7.jpg

completed6.jpg

completed5.jpg

completed4.jpg

completed3.jpg

completed2.jpg

completed1.jpg

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Pinshooter, you did a great job on that Mauser stock! Can you give a brief summary of your process?

Yukon, your SKS stock looks great too! I like the blond color. Had I just finished mine, and not stained it, mine would probably look very similar to yours. The more I sanded mine, the blonder it got.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Very simalar to your process. I stripped it with a stripper, to two thre apps to get rid of that commie varnish. Then I used dawn dish soap to gid rid of any residual oil. Letting it dry for a day in between about three times. Gently sanded the "wiskers" off with 320 grit. Then used a tack cloth. Then using the Birchwood Casey kit I diluted the walnut stain 50%. Then went over it with 00 & 000 steel wool and tack cloth before applying tru-oil with my fingers. Then used 0000 between the 5 or six coats of Tru-oil. Did not use the pumice stuff in the kit tried it after first coat and just did not like how it was working. Really took my time, was off with Achilles tendon surgery at the time so I had nothing better to do. Thanks for the compliment, I get a lot of those when people see it in person. Also searched the internet to get the cleaning rod and the "capture" screws that the Soviets removed.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I did a 91/30 this winter. What I did was apply a liberal coat of paint stripper and let it sit for an hour. Any spots that didnt show signs of lifting were re coated. Next I used coarse steelwool to remove the old shelac. I wiped it down with mineral spirits and let it dry. Next I put a white vinegar/water mixture over the stock to neutralize the stripper and raise the grain. I lightly sanded with 220 sandpaper, then with 440 grit and finally a 600 grit. Vacuumed then used a air compressor to blow any dust out of the nooks and crannies. Staining was next. I used an oil based stain, Ipswich pine I believe and applied one coat. After that I applied about 18 coats of an Tru Oil/Armor All mixture by hand. The tru oil/armor all mixture allows you to apply several coats in a day. I let it cure for 2 days then gently wiped it down with mineral spirits to get rid of any left over armor all.

I have a spare SKS stock that I will do this winter. I'll take pictures as I go.

russiand.jpg

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    db1959, The shine on that Mosin is intense! that looks like a quality refinish. It's interesting to hear so many different methods used by you guys. Who would have thought, tru oil and amour all??? Any more pictures? It looks like a gorgeous finish...

BSUrugger, I'm glad I could inspire :D Definitely keep us fellow INGOers posted on your refinish project.

Pinshooter, your Mauser really looks like it has a nice, silky finish. It probably IS even better in person, especially under natural sun light. It's really interesting to read your process. It seems like everyone uses different methods to gain a similar objective. I'm really enjoying where this thread is going!

:rockwoot:

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    Pinshooter, you did a great job on that Mauser stock! Can you give a brief summary of your process?

Yukon, your SKS stock looks great too! I like the blond color. Had I just finished mine, and not stained it, mine would probably look very similar to yours. The more I sanded mine, the blonder it got.

Thank you, had I taken more time and tried to pull all of the old oils and cosmo out it would look "cleaner" much like the IMMACULATE mosin of db1959...but the look I got is pretty much what I was going for. So I'm pleased with it and I appreciate all comments.

Also, over on Survivors SKS boards there are HUNDREDS of pictures of refinished milsurps....very cool.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    ...So, I actually pulled the gun apart yesterday after work and put another coat of the diluted poly/stain on. That makes 4 coats! I just wanted a little darker finish. It looks even better now. It's really turned out beautiful. Pictures out in natural light coming later today. Stay tuned.

Pictures in natural light, as promised!

DSC00317.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

Some in house pics

DSC00327.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

DSC00325.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

DSC00323.jpg

And here is the Yugo with it's DISTANT American cousin...

DSC00320.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom