• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I am thinking about a RED DOT sight,and am looking at HOLOSUN and VORTEX VENOM. In your opinion , which is the better dot to get ? I have been reading the venom has a lot of issues for a 250 dollar dot , and dont know about holosun , kinda leary.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    BLUF: If it's going on a .22LR, a Venom is OK. Otherwise look for better options than the Venom.

The long version:
    I have a Venom: Venom on Amazon
    It's meh. I moved the Vortex Venom to my Rugger 22/45:

To me, the 3MOA dot combined with the small window...not good. It only works for me because the Ruger has no recoil to speak of.

I put a Romeo 1 Pro on my P320. Yes it was $100 more (on sale) but it is night and day better.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Despite being made in China (as most other brands' inexpensive optics are), Holosun has a pretty solid reputation.

Aaron Cowman of Sage Dynamics has done fairly detailed evaluations of numerous Holosun models on youtube including his drop testing onto hard surfaces.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I understand people being leery with red dots but honestly….. the chance of needing your firearm in self defense 1%….. the chance of needing it AND your holosun crapping out at the same time .00001% chance of needing it holosun crapping out AND being outside of point shooting range .000000001%

Obviously made up the % and not exactly the question asked but as for the question….. holosun has not failed me yet. No I would not want to trust my life to a no name Amazon airsoft red dot.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I am thinking about a RED DOT sight,and am looking at HOLOSUN and VORTEX VENOM. In your opinion , which is the better dot to get ? I have been reading the venom has a lot of issues for a 250 dollar dot , and dont know about holosun , kinda leary.
    Have at least 6 of the Vortex Venoms and have had pretty good results with them , used on 22 revolvers and semi-auto , Smith 686 357 Mag and Glock 34 9mm. Most have the 3 MOA for target shooting although the G34 has a 6MOA. One Venom I used on a 22 revolver maxed out trying to adjust elevation ,sent in and Vortex sent me back a brand new sealed in box sight. Getting the battery cover on the Vortex is a little tricky , about the only little gripe I have.

Have the smaller Holosun 407K with 6MOA used on compact 9mms and even a Sig P322 22lr for a while , very nice , easy to change battery , easy to operate. Seem to be very well made units. May go with a large model is they ever make a 3 or 4 MOA version.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Swampfox has some good red dots at reasonable prices, but I like the Holosun's with the multi reticle option. I have a 510c-gr and a 507c on a couple of my steel challenge guns.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I understand people being leery with red dots but honestly….. the chance of needing your firearm in self defense 1%….. the chance of needing it AND your holosun crapping out at the same time .00001% chance of needing it holosun crapping out AND being outside of point shooting range .000000001%

Obviously made up the % and not exactly the question asked but as for the question….. holosun has not failed me yet. No I would not want to trust my life to a no name Amazon airsoft red dot.
    In quality RD classes they go over how to aim using the back plate or side angle of a slide on Glock aka Jim Cirilo style. Within close distance (like a revolver cylinder equal amount of bad guys torso on both sides of the gun within 7-10 yards your gonna hit him somewhere! . The term “point shooting” is really sort of a misnomer. What’s old is new again

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County

Just remember that 87% of the statistics out there are inflated 50% by 72% of the people stating them...YMMV (by up to 42%). :cool:

• Haha
    Reactions: Mij

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    One thing to consider is the location of the battery covers. Not that you have to change the batteries often, but...
    None of my red dots/holographic sights require removing them to change out the batteries. Just a small plus in my book.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I've had excellent results with Holosuns but my experience is with 9mm and 22 pistol only.. I like the 507 models because there are 3 reticle choices possible but if you just want a dot only 407s are good. I don't think there's a better bang for your buck.

Vimace

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Most important, whatever the brand of your choice you decide to go with, make sure you have "co-witness sights" in case your battery or reflex sight fails.

I have sig zero, sig pro and fastfire 3, No issues so far.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I own several 507C's, a couple 507K's, a 407k and enjoy shooting with all of them. I've tried a few from other vendors, like the venom, swampfox, sig and others and prefer the Holosuns personally. Very good value for what you get.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    What are you putting it on? I'm sold on the Holosun from Primary Arms with the ACSS Vulcan reticle and don't want anything else on a pistol. That's been fine for duty size guns with the 507c but the micro pistols have been stuck with the 407k w/6moa dot up until now. The 507k is finally available now with the Vulcan reticle and Primary Arms dumped a slew of them on ebay last week. They were all listed as used or open box so my assumption is that they were either NRA display pieces or possibly returns from testing/evaluation. Musta sold close to a hundred of them last week,.....eight are coming here tomorrow and I'll be swapping out my 407k's. I did manage to pick up one green and one red 507k w/ACSS a couple of months ago when Primary Arms had a similar dump. Those were probably 'used' units form SHOT. I managed to get one from PA at a good price but was too late on the second and had to get it from a reseller at a much higher price.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I don't believe you stated what firearm you're looking to mount the RDS on.

Because the answers for a pistol differ from that of a rifle - maybe.

And within the "pistol" category - there's a WIDE chasm between what'll hold up on a .22 vs. what'll hold up to duty use on a duty pistol. Same with a rifle.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd like to look through a Leupold DPP but nobody has any in stock.
    Its Trijicon RMR or Holosun, everywhere I go.
    Or lesser.
    Haven't seen an Acro P2 yet either.

Have a Sightmark Minishot M spec, been fine, but am trying to ditch the Chinesium.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I would like to get my hands on one of the newer holosun EPS much smaller enclosed dot seems way better than the accro atleast on paper

Top Bottom