• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I'd like to look through a Leupold DPP but nobody has any in stock.
    Its Trijicon RMR or Holosun, everywhere I go.
    Or lesser.
    Haven't seen an Acro P2 yet either.

Have a Sightmark Minishot M spec, been fine, but am trying to ditch the Chinesium.
    The DPP is very nice to look through, it is not without its drawbacks though. Chief among them, brightness adjustment is a pain, deck height is tall, and they are not super tough.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I would like to get my hands on one of the newer holosun EPS much smaller enclosed dot seems way better than the accro atleast on paper
    I have an EPS Carry on my 365XL and like it a lot. Haven't had a chance to try the fullish size one. I wouldn't talk too loud about it being better than the Acro, the cool guys will call for you to be drawn and quartered.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I have an EPS Carry on my 365XL and like it a lot. Haven't had a chance to try the fullish size one. I wouldn't talk too loud about it being better than the Acro, the cool guys will call for you to be drawn and quartered.

The acro I’m sure is great but it is enormous and expensive I am thinking about the eps on a g20 for deer………..

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Completely ignoring YOUR choices... ('cause that's what we do here on the internet) I'll suggest the Sig Romeo 5.
    Due to the expense, I only have one Aimpoint... but I have several of the Romeo 5 sights on various weapons. (AR, Lee Enfield, lever guns, my son's Mosin, a 930 SPX)
    They can be had for around $130 or so, and are what I consider to be among the best of the "budget" red dot sights. Certainly on par with the Holosun.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I am thinking about a RED DOT sight,and am looking at HOLOSUN and VORTEX VENOM. In your opinion , which is the better dot to get ? I have been reading the venom has a lot of issues for a 250 dollar dot , and dont know about holosun , kinda leary.

You mean you want a new fancy micro dot instead of the old fashioned ones?

1686455577700.png

I have a venom, and a Holosun hs507c x2.
    The Holosun is imo much better. Imo it's clearer, and has a better dot. It also has more features. Both companies have excellent customer service, and both have excellent warranties.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I’ve been a big fan of the Romeo1 pro, own quite a few of them and always heard of their reliability problems but never experienced any - until last night - the Friday night before a weekend class the dot on one of my CZ’s started blinking and going off with shooting and even just slide manipulations - forcing me to switch platforms at the last minute going into this high intensity class.

Changed the battery, cleaned the contacts and changed the battery again, acts the same.

That being said I have at least 6000 rounds through 3 pistols with Romeo1 pros without any hiccups until now.
    It did just dawned on me though that this was the pistol that lost zero about a week ago…

OP, to answer your question, spend the extra.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I’ve been a big fan of the Romeo1 pro, own quite a few of them and always heard of their reliability problems but never experienced any - until last night - the Friday night before a weekend class the dot on one of my CZ’s started blinking and going off with shooting and even just slide manipulations - forcing me to switch platforms at the last minute going into this high intensity class.

Have 2 of the Romeo 1 Pros , one is a 6MOA came with the optics slide I ordered for my P226 and the other is a replacement 3MOA for the original. The 6MOA for me was large for target shooting and the 3MOA is just right. I went with the Romeo as there is not much else I found that would mount with the hole pattern on this particular slide aside from a Leupold Delta Point. The only drawback to the Romeo 1 Pro for me is finding a sweet spot for dot intensity , despite multiple adjustments , seems either a little too bright or a little too dim.

aconcealedlife

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2023
    USA
    I have the Holosun 407K and am happy with it. I have it on an Sig P365 .380. Optics Planet has good prices on them and has a sale code right now. I’m buying a 507 next.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I'd like to look through a Leupold DPP but nobody has any in stock.
    Its Trijicon RMR or Holosun, everywhere I go.
    Or lesser.
    Haven't seen an Acro P2 yet either.

Have a Sightmark Minishot M spec, been fine, but am trying to ditch the Chinesium.

Tim's shooting academy in westfield, or Kenzie's optics at the 1500

I would not buy another myself, the only reason I went DPP on my staccato was for it to be direct mount and USMS SOG Correct. It's an outdated unit at best at this point IMHO

UYF0gS2.jpg

My DDP sight picture

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Have 2 of the Romeo 1 Pros , one is a 6MOA came with the optics slide I ordered for my P226 and the other is a replacement 3MOA for the original. The 6MOA for me was large for target shooting and the 3MOA is just right. I went with the Romeo as there is not much else I found that would mount with the hole pattern on this particular slide aside from a Leupold Delta Point. The only drawback to the Romeo 1 Pro for me is finding a sweet spot for dot intensity , despite multiple adjustments , seems either a little too bright or a little too dim.
    Interesting on the brightness adjustments, I like them. I "inherited" a 6moa on a 229 recently purchased and certainly don't like it as well as the 3 moa. I typically run as dim a dot as possible for the conditions though.

The new Eotech EFLX is the "same" footprint, and it has a noticeably nicer crisper dot but doesn't go quite as bright. "Same"
    is in quotes because if you mill a slide for the EFLX for a nice snug fit a Romeo won't quite fit on there, just a touch longer.

Had a glitch right out the gate with the new EFLX but EOTech customer service made it right quickly and working well so far.

The DPP is tall and a pain to use IMO, but a good dot if you don't mind the adjustment. I did.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Completely ignoring YOUR choices... ('cause that's what we do here on the internet) I'll suggest the Sig Romeo 5.
    Due to the expense, I only have one Aimpoint... but I have several of the Romeo 5 sights on various weapons. (AR, Lee Enfield, lever guns, my son's Mosin, a 930 SPX)
    They can be had for around $130 or so, and are what I consider to be among the best of the "budget" red dot sights. Certainly on par with the Holosun.
    You mean you want a new fancy micro dot instead of the old fashioned ones?

View attachment 280927

I have a venom, and a Holosun hs507c x2.
    The Holosun is imo much better. Imo it's clearer, and has a better dot. It also has more features. Both companies have excellent customer service, and both have excellent warranties.
    Didn't we just recently have this conversation?

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Interesting on the brightness adjustments, I like them. I "inherited" a 6moa on a 229 recently purchased and certainly don't like it as well as the 3 moa. I typically run as dim a dot as possible for the conditions though.
    Same here , the brighter the dot the more I notice my astigmatism so I try to adjust dimmer. Was out shooting today and when I finally got to shooting the P226 with the 3MOA Romeo 1 Pro I was able to adjust to a satisfactory brightness with it overcast and raining (thank goodness for covered ranges). Once I get the trigger/action job the P226/Romeo combo will be one of my favorite guns to shoot.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Tim's shooting academy in westfield, or Kenzie's optics at the 1500

I would not buy another myself, the only reason I went DPP on my staccato was for it to be direct mount and USMS SOG Correct. It's an outdated unit at best at this point IMHO

UYF0gS2.jpg

My DDP sight picture

I have a DPP (check classifieds) I like it just not into RDS

With the DPP it is a good starter (at least I believe so) as you can direct mount it to a couple 3 guns but it does have a generous screen.

But what I have seen from going to some Dave Spaulding MRDs and Range Master instructor courses enclosed emitters and direct nouns are the only way to go. Plates can be the most problematic piece of equipment.

So why the Acro P 2 is more than a lot you probably won’t dislike it

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have a DPP (check classifieds) I like it just not into RDS

With the DPP it is a good starter (at least I believe so) as you can direct mount it to a couple 3 guns but it does have a generous screen.

But what I have seen from going to some Dave Spaulding MRDs and Range Master instructor courses enclosed emitters and direct nouns are the only way to go. Plates can be the most problematic piece of equipment.

So why the Acro P 2 is more than a lot you probably won’t dislike it
    So I am going to disagree with some of that. I have been running PMO's on defensive guns since 2010 which is also when I took my first RDS Instructor class. Since then I have taken dozens of classes and competed with the slide mounted red dot. I don't say that to say I know it all, far from it, but just to give context. I agree direct mount is best, but depending on what you are doing, a plate can be fine. I have both. I do not agree that enclosed emitter is the only way to go. Open duty use? Yes, enclosed emitter. Most of the other things regular people do with their pistols regular RDS will do just fine. They are still the vast majority for competition, mainly because of the availability of a bigger window. Also, even in its P-2 format the Acro is still having some issues. (Like they all do.)

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    So I am going to disagree with some of that. I have been running PMO's on defensive guns since 2010 which is also when I took my first RDS Instructor class. Since then I have taken dozens of classes and competed with the slide mounted red dot. I don't say that to say I know it all, far from it, but just to give context. I agree direct mount is best, but depending on what you are doing, a plate can be fine. I have both. I do not agree that enclosed emitter is the only way to go. Open duty use? Yes, enclosed emitter. Most of the other things regular people do with their pistols regular RDS will do just fine. They are still the vast majority for competition, mainly because of the availability of a bigger window. Also, even in its P-2 format the Acro is still having some issues. (Like they all do.)
    Sunday at the Point 1 Tactics class we shot in the rain for quite a while, ended up pretty soaked. The only serious problem was from a closed emitter Holosun that had its vacuum seal broken and was fogging up. Rain did not affect our windows, one guy had a drop of water in the emitter but once he discovered where to wipe it was all clear again.
    Mostly open emitters in the class.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    It’s all good. While we can have slightly different experiences and base slightly different opinions. just sharing what we have seen is how everyone learns a little bit. On my viewpoints as yours some is personal preference and some is what I have seen. In enclosed emitters like the ACRO 2. For me it’s with the increase cost.

And while I have seen some plates work on (aftermarket is better than most factory included powdered pressed metal ones) usually is it shifts more than 60% it’s the plate.

When I make a suggestion it’s usually for what works for above and beyond the average gun user. Want to know what lasts better take a professional class and you will see some good feedback.

Of course investigate because sometimes it’s not as much the gear set up as it is user error on installing so there is that slice of the pie!

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I am thinking about a RED DOT sight,and am looking at HOLOSUN and VORTEX VENOM. In your opinion , which is the better dot to get ? I have been reading the venom has a lot of issues for a 250 dollar dot , and dont know about holosun , kinda leary.
    I have a holosun 407C and a holosun 507C-X2. The 407C and 507C are pretty much the same except that the 507 has more reticle options (if you care about that at all).

In my shooting experiences, I've had to zero the 407 twice. Probably shooting about 400 rounds before having to zero. The 507 I've put about 400 rounds on and it's still zeroed just fine.

I think holosun is a solid option. I'm working on getting more experience with other options though.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Alright I have a feeling you're calling @daddyusmaximus and myself out for something, or I'm missing your point.
    View attachment 281324
    I thought in a recent red dot conversation we kinda went back and forth on what actually belongs on a pistol here in the new century.
    IIRC you guys were like “oh, you mean miniature red dots” and I’m just like “no, whatever goes on pistols in this century”.

All in good fun though.

Top Bottom