• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    To bad fur prices are so low the middle coon in the picture got $7 for him. I got him right in the heart so very little damage he was a little over 19lbs.

The other two were around $2.50 each.

Now here is the price of a coon skin coat. Someone is making a fortune off us hunters.

Were those prices put up fur, or still green?

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am always on coon patrol! I killed 28 last year around the property. This year has been a little slow for them but in the last 2 weeks I have been back at it! I did blow the doors off this guy with a 300 ultra at 100 yards!!! Not quite fur friendly but still fun!

Attachments

• 709D41DD-16E7-4714-BEDE-1916F88FA443.png
      709D41DD-16E7-4714-BEDE-1916F88FA443.png
      13.2 MB · Views: 13

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The Summer Offensive of ‘21 is turning into a war of attrition. Fortunately my supply of .22LR is vast. Two more coons gave their lives for their cause this weekend, and one this morning. The coyotes are starting to take a couple days to dispose of the corpses. They must be getting tired of a steady diet.

Thanks for the tip on the DP traps. The coons seem to favor them over the standard box trap by about two to one captures.

I truly hope my back woods runs out of coons soon, I haven’t gone through this much .22 since my last Revere’s Riders course.

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    The Summer Offensive of ‘21 is turning into a war of attrition. Fortunately my supply of .22LR is vast. Two more coons gave their lives for their cause this weekend, and one this morning. The coyotes are starting to take a couple days to dispose of the corpses. They must be getting tired of a steady diet.

Thanks for the tip on the DP traps. The coons seem to favor them over the standard box trap by about two to one captures.

I truly hope my back woods runs out of coons soon, I haven’t gone through this much .22 since my last Revere’s Riders course.
    Glad the trap worked out for you. What did you anchor them to? What’s nice is the coons don’t get trap smart with these, although I’ve never had one get loose from one on his own.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My DP trap has worked wonderfully! Small amount of cat food and I snag 'em.

I don't want to jinx myself but it has sat empty for a week or so now.

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    My DP trap has worked wonderfully! Small amount of cat food and I snag 'em.

I don't want to jinx myself but it has sat empty for a week or so now.
    Nice! I’ve had good luck with either tiny marshmallows or suet nuggets used in bird feeders. Menards has them. The coons just can’t help but get every last one because they are so greedy. I haven’t seen any for a few weeks but I’ve gotten over a dozen this year and I’m in the suburbs. I know when they are around by either my bird feeders being wiped out or my dogs on high alert in the backyard late at night.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    One year, I will get a couple dozen; another, I will hardly see them. This year, I have only caught one, but something is lurking in the barn. That number may increase.

It's a good way to test various types of ammo. Particularly, the small cartridges. There is a huge difference in .22 ammo lethality.

hoglegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    One year, I will get a couple dozen; another, I will hardly see them. This year, I have only caught one, but something is lurking in the barn. That number may increase.

It's a good way to test various types of ammo. Particularly, the small cartridges. There is a huge difference in .22 ammo lethality.
    What 22lr have you had the best results with? In my younger years I tried plain ol' lrn with unimpressive results. Switched to stingers & never looked back, but my supply is low & who knows when another box of CCI will show up. Could break out the 12ga, but hate to waste buck at $1 a shell now... Anyone have success with a cheap trap-load inside of 15 yards on a trash panda?

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I just use bulk Fed or Win ammo. But I am shooting inside and suppressed. Sometimes it takes more than one shot, but a 12 gauge would make a hell of a mess for me.

Moved the can from an SBR to my M&P 22 pistol. Easier to carry and I don't need good sights anyhow.

That being said, I am well past I think 3 weeks since I snagged one, or saw signs. They either got the idea or I eradicated the clan.

hoglegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    Was this pistol or rifle?

Really didn't matter for me what ammo, but barrel length was the deciding factor.
    Kinetic energy is mv^2
    It was rifle, I figured c.o.m. hits would do it, but after a few "pass-throughs & run away" with lrn I switched to stingers. No more run-aways... But they are some tough little bastards! I might try a trap load & full choke next time inside of 10 yards, not saving pelts at this time. Or maybe it's time to buy a Mec 600

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    What 22lr have you had the best results with? In my younger years I tried plain ol' lrn with unimpressive results. Switched to stingers & never looked back, but my supply is low & who knows when another box of CCI will show up. Could break out the 12ga, but hate to waste buck at $1 a shell now... Anyone have success with a cheap trap-load inside of 15 yards on a trash panda?
    I've been hearings that buying direct from CCI isn't too bad.....and......they throw in a "free" sticker for your toolbox!!!

hoglegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    Headshots - between the ears & the eyes
    D.R.T.

Bring a scoop, there won't be much left to save at all.
    Yeah, when I'm hunting incognito with a suppressed 25 PCP I always do headshots, not enough oomph otherwise. Although a JSB hades pellet @ 900fps is pretty nasty medicine, opens up to .35 & 9 inches penetration. I guess I could do the same with 22 lrn but I get lazy with the stingers. LOL to the scoop, I'll let the 'yotes gobble up whats left of 'em

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    I learned real quick, HP is way more effective than LRN. Sometimes they don't even seem to notice they have been shot with LRN. If I need to dispatch, I usually go to the CCI HP MaxiMags. They have probably given me the most 1 shot kills.

Top Bottom