• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Well the DP trap is a success. Got a bitch and two pups. The big one, who was first, really tore up the surrounding area. So much so that she found a wire that I didn't know was there. Ouch for her.

Now if only I could get my trail cam to start working inside again. They did an update and it stopped sending. Changed batteries, no go. Moved it outside and rebooted it and it finally started again. Now I have to check every day again. Laziness and all that.

But thanks to whomever mentioned the DP trap. Much better than the live trap I was using.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Had to put my trail cam outside because the update ruined my reception. 0530 and I get a hit. Big ole coon walking around outside. Going to see if the DP trap got him once I get breakfast.

Moved the live trap to another place and got a groundhog yesterday.

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    Well the DP trap is a success. Got a bitch and two pups. The big one, who was first, really tore up the surrounding area. So much so that she found a wire that I didn't know was there. Ouch for her.

Now if only I could get my trail cam to start working inside again. They did an update and it stopped sending. Changed batteries, no go. Moved it outside and rebooted it and it finally started again. Now I have to check every day again. Laziness and all that.

But thanks to whomever mentioned the DP trap. Much better than the live trap I was using.
    Very welcome, my friend.
    Those coons definitely tear up anything in reach. I trapped one on the other side of a cedar fence. The coon chewed through half a picket, then dug through the other side any chewed through my invisible dog fence wire. I woke up with a pissed off coon and my dog fence alarm going off. That was the last time I set the trap in reach of anything I wanted to keep. Now I have a large rebar bent to a J and hammered into the ground. Then I use a threaded caribiner to hook up the dp trap. It’s the one trap they don’t get trap smart on. I’ve let my dogs out once or twice when the trap had been sprung. The dogs pulling back and forth actually pulled the coon out of the trap. Not a fun time. Now I make sure I exterminate the coon before I let them out.

Glad the trap is working well for you. That set stick is a good investment if you use it often.

on your trail cam, is there a firmware update for it? Never used one but it would seem you can update with an sd card?

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    The trail cam had an update, that's what threw it off. It was working inside and now not at all. Just means I have been going over there to see an empty trap the last couple days.

I am a firm believer in the DP trap tho, and I finally got it down where I can set it with no sticks. Had to prove to myself I could do it, then cuss a lot, and then just do it.

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    The trail cam had an update, that's what threw it off. It was working inside and now not at all. Just means I have been going over there to see an empty trap the last couple days.

I am a firm believer in the DP trap tho, and I finally got it down where I can set it with no sticks. Had to prove to myself I could do it, then cuss a lot, and then just do it.
    Prices have gone up so much on everything. When I got my dp trap, it was under $15 on amazon, and the set stick was $5 or so. Glad the trap was worked out for you.
    I wonder if you can downgrade the firmware on the camera?

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    My MIL has multiple bird feeders, and has 2 cats. Something was making a mess out of them and had attacked the cats. Got 3 in a box trap in 3 days. Large female first, then a pup then a large male. 38 to the head does it.

None for the last 2 days.

Don

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    DP trap got another one yesterday.

I need to see if I can find the last firmware for my trail camera so I don't have to drive back over every day just to see if I got another one.

At this pace I am about to spend more on cat food than the trap. Worth every cent tho.

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    DP trap got another one yesterday.

I need to see if I can find the last firmware for my trail camera so I don't have to drive back over every day just to see if I got another one.

At this pace I am about to spend more on cat food than the trap. Worth every cent tho.
    Excellent news. Did you move the trap so the coon can’t destroy anything else? Hopefully they don’t find anymore buried wires. I’ve had a few try to chew their own foot off when trapped at night before I found them come morning time.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    All the wires in the area are dead now. I clipped one because a coon used it as a blanket. Figured that I might as well leave the trap there as they have destroyed so much in that area nothing else can get hurt.

I keep going daily because although I want them dead and gone I am not about torture. Don't like the idea of them chewing a foot off or starving to death slowly. That's why I wish the camera still worked inside. Still need to see if I can reverse the last update. Maybe I will contact them directly.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Monday night talking with the skinny neighbor our dogs went to barking up a tree. We got the flashlights for a better view. One huge and a few not as large raccoons were up the tree about 25 foot. I set my 3 live traps with dry cat food. Nothing until Wednesday night. Got 3 medium size ones. Thursday I headed to my daughter's house to do some work. I carried them to the MS river 33 miles from my house. They now have a river front park to live in. Each had 20 to 30 ticks around their eyes and ears.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Monday night talking with the skinny neighbor our dogs went to barking up a tree. We got the flashlights for a better view. One huge and a few not as large raccoons were up the tree about 25 foot. I set my 3 live traps with dry cat food. Nothing until Wednesday night. Got 3 medium size ones. Thursday I headed to my daughter's house to do some work. I carried them to the MS river 33 miles from my house. They now have a river front park to live in. Each had 20 to 30 ticks around their eyes and ears.
    Resident landowners and tenants can trap a raccoon that is causing damage on their own property without a permit from the DNR. The raccoon must be euthanized or released within the county of capture on private property in which you have permission to release the raccoon. In order to prevent the spread of disease, the DNR encourages homeowners to safely and humanely euthanize the raccoons, if possible. If you do not want to trap the raccoon yourself, contact a licensed nuisance wild animal control operator.

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    Up to 15 total....between me and my one dog ( She's a killer ).
    That leg trap is the way to go! Haven't had one escape yet.
    That’s an impressive number. I had one coon almost rip my dogs ear off. Last time I let them tango with a raccoon that I hadn’t shot. They attacked him and pulled him loose from the trap. It was a mess. And a $600 vet bill. Now I use a pellet gun to knock them down then let the dogs come finish them off even though they are just doing death flops by then. That one coon ripped his ear open and just the white cartilage was visible. Didnt bother the dog initially. I think the biggest coon I’ve ever caught was 25lbs or so. Scary as they get to 40+.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    I took one in a live trap to a friends pond. After 2 minutes he was done swimming. I pulled him out to drip dry a bit and he started breathing. Back in the drink for a few more minutes. People who drown and then recessitated say it's not painfull, just scary. No blood flinging and flopping

Top Bottom