• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    I just got the DP trap in yesterday. I looked and have no sweet bait. going to try with some feline food. Have some coons getting into the attic of an old place. Thinking I might run a cable around a stud and see if I get one since the live trap is not working very well.

On a side note, I watched a few videos of people who run these. Most make setting the thing look easy as anything. That spring is pretty rugged for me old hands. I got it set, but the set stick would have made it easier.
    Once a coon gets stuck in that foot trap, they will chew threw anything they can. Including their own foot. I had it too close to a fence once, and he chewed off half a picket. So just be warned that if he is left alone for an extended period while caught, he will chew anything in reach.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    We've had them break into our attic twice in the last 15 years. I used live traps to evict them. I didn't relocate them because I didn't want them to end up being someone else's problem, I invested in a good pellet rifle.
    If trapped in a live trap just dunk the trap in water deeper than the trap. Come back after having a cup of coffee? No pellets needed

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Once a coon gets stuck in that foot trap, they will chew threw anything they can. Including their own foot. I had it too close to a fence once, and he chewed off half a picket. So just be warned that if he is left alone for an extended period while caught, he will chew anything in reach.
    I have a trail camera that sends to my cell watching the live trap and the DP. I don't want them to suffer per se, but a three legged coon can't do as much damage.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I used a large flathead screwdriver....
    Hard to drive that thru a native 2x4 tho. Oh wait, you meant to set the trap. Brain fart.

I got it set, but I will grab a screw driver for the next time. I was going to leave the trap set outside where they are running, but I figured if a nosy neighbor saw the thing they might call someone. That makes it tougher for me to dispatch them with my .22. Guess I need to dig out the pellet rifle and find what I did with the pellets when I moved.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I had 4 orphaned babies in the woods on one side of my house and a mama in a tree with babies on the other side. I have two Great Danes that use them for chew toys when they come inside the invisible fence. Dogs killed two and I live trapped these two. I don’t mind them so much, everything deserves to live (except mosquitos) so I moved them someplace where they had a fighting chance.

d58e15dca5da394f132239f53db50136.jpg

My neighbor had one a few years ago, found him with his eyes closed and raised him like a pet. That raccoon was pretty funny up until with climbed a power pole and got fried as the the school bus was picking up a bunch of kids.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    No, I have no interest in anything coon related after all the damage they have inflicted.

If you want to give it a try I (hopefully) can supply the materials soon.
    Exactly, tearing up planter/garden boxes and occasionally trying to get into the trash. Sometimes traps but they've avoided them lately.

Just had one just come around the house for the trash can (wife calls it out), it actually heard me drop the bolt on the .22 inside the house, and circled around the garage. Thank you Stream light TLR-1, head shot!

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    I use these. I just lay it on it's side and step on it to set it. Using a 2' piece of 5/16" rod with a head welded on it for an anchor. Cat food for bait.
    They are one trap that the raccoons won’t get trap smart on. They were cheaper before covid, but I guess everything was. I drove an 6 foot rebar bent over to a J and gives me a looped end at the ground level. I attach the trap with a threaded caribiner.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    +2 last nite. The dogs woke me at 4:00 howling to get out. I grabbed the dbl. brrl. and stepped out on the back porch in time to spotlight the trash bandits going up the Hickory tree. 4 00 buck makes a quick kill. I've learned my shooting skills are not accurate enuff for the .22 coming out of a dead sleep and naked as a Jaybird(pun intended).

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Still nothing in the new DP trap. Camera didn't get set off so no big things moving around. Went in yesterday afternoon just to have a look see. The bait in the live trap is gone. I can only assume the bait in the DP is gone as well. Damned mice.

hoglegs

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    Has anyone had luck "thinning the herd" by calling 'em out during daylight hours? Getting tired of the 1am motion alarm when the bandits show up for another raid!

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Has anyone had luck "thinning the herd" by calling 'em out during daylight hours? Getting tired of the 1am motion alarm when the bandits show up for another raid!
    calling is very effective. Bird sounds or any coon fight/distress sound works. If you know where a den tree is, setting up close to it is best .

hoglegs

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    calling is very effective. Bird sounds or any coon fight/distress sound works. If you know where a den tree is, setting up close to it is best .
    That'll be the challenge, finding the dens. Lots of private forest around here, I have permission on some but with my luck the dens would be off limits... I wonder how far they would travel towards a call? I imagine sitting on my porch with a cold glass of lemonade, 1022 in my lap & blasting racoon calls through a 1000w speaker:rockwoot:

Top Bottom