• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, when I'm hunting incognito with a suppressed 25 PCP I always do headshots, not enough oomph otherwise. Although a JSB hades pellet @ 900fps is pretty nasty medicine, opens up to .35 & 9 inches penetration. I guess I could do the same with 22 lrn but I get lazy with the stingers. LOL to the scoop, I'll let the 'yotes gobble up whats left of 'em
    You can buy CCIs direct. Shipping turnaround isnt ideal, but prices arent awful, and you'll have it within a month of ordering.

Im seeing a lot of unavailable, but there is a 300 pack of HPs available.

hoglegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    I learned real quick, HP is way more effective than LRN. Sometimes they don't even seem to notice they have been shot with LRN. If I need to dispatch, I usually go to the CCI HP MaxiMags. They have probably given me the most 1 shot kills.
    Good info on the maximags, yeah that 40 grain pill @ 1800 is gonna get their attention. Seems like around here 22 mag is even more scarce & I don't have a rifle for it...yet. I did have a drt the other night with a "cheap" #4 heavy field load, 12ga full choke @ 20 yards. Wasn't as messy as I'dve thought

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Well I guess I haven't gotten them all out of the area.

Twice now I have had one trip the DP trap and get free. Not sure if it is knocking the trap over and setting it off or if it is able to pull the hand free. Will check again today after a meeting a see what happened last night. Maybe I need to strap the trap to something where it can't be moved.

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    Well I guess I haven't gotten them all out of the area.

Twice now I have had one trip the DP trap and get free. Not sure if it is knocking the trap over and setting it off or if it is able to pull the hand free. Will check again today after a meeting a see what happened last night. Maybe I need to strap the trap to something where it can't be moved.
    I got a 6 foot piece of rebar. Bent it to a J shape. Pounded that into the ground. The hook I made by bending it into a J is where I hook you a threaded carabiner and hook the DP trap to it. Works perfect.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Mine is inside a building and I have it attached to a wall stud. It is stuck into a gap in the floor.

I have snagged a few of them in there. Last spring I had a trail cam in there and saw an opossum. Might be what was going for the cat food. Cam isn't there as I needed it on a job.

With all the snow all I am seeing print wise is a rabbit, but I doubt that it got in and made it's way to the second story attic.

But then again, they are sneaky.

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    Mine is inside a building and I have it attached to a wall stud. It is stuck into a gap in the floor.

I have snagged a few of them in there. Last spring I had a trail cam in there and saw an opossum. Might be what was going for the cat food. Cam isn't there as I needed it on a job.

With all the snow all I am seeing print wise is a rabbit, but I doubt that it got in and made it's way to the second story attic.

But then again, they are sneaky.
    I have had good luck with the DP trap. I guess the coons don’t get trap smart with these type of traps. And they are so greedy they make sure to get the last bit and spring the trap.

I live in a suburb and I trapped and disposed of over 35 the past year and a half.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have had good luck with the DP trap as well. One of the many things I have learned while visiting INGO.

Maybe it is a different animal and they are knocking the trap over. Not sure. Once I get a couple more jobs done I will move the cell trail camera back over there and maybe see what I am dealing with. I really put a hurt on the population, I know that for sure.

I haven't kept a body count, but I am no where's close to 35. I was just live and DP trapping in a small town tho, at two different places.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Have not got one in awhile, around the house. Was hard on them early and my feist was treeing them better than a coon hound. Shot every coon out for him.

While coyote hunting I see the coons out and about. Always make good targets when the hunt is a bust.

Last edited:

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    IMG_20220215_161658.jpg

I heard some noises in my attic about a month ago so I put a couple night vision cameras up there and found a pair of them coming and going from a small enclosed area in the corner. They had torn off a piece of the soffet at the peak of my roof to get in and unfortunately it is high enough that I can't get to it. I tried trapping them but they would just throw the trap around and set it off. About a week ago I hung one of those long extension cords with 5 light sockets across the entire attic to light the whole thing up. They hadn't come back until this morning when one came in, walked across the attic, then turned around and walked back out. I'm hoping the light is enough to discourage them from staying there until I can get the roof fixed. Otherwise I'll have to hire someone to dispatch them.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Got some in my attic and crawl space they keep defeating my live traps. I'm about ready to hide in the boxes with a 22 and do some indoor hunting

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Set your traps where they are coming in and out…ground level…base of tree or whatever they are climbing to get in. Try a ball of aluminum foil with a healthy pour of vanilla extract on it. That will cut down on catching critters you don’t want (skunk, neighbors cat, etc)

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    Haven't tried vanilla. I usually bury a tuna can at ground level and stake the trap down over top it. That way they can't reach it and have to go in. tent staking it down keeps them from rolling the trap. Bacon grease, cat food, tuna juice all work good. But I do tend to catch cats. Need to try vanilla.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Set your traps where they are coming in and out…ground level…base of tree or whatever they are climbing to get in. Try a ball of aluminum foil with a healthy pour of vanilla extract on it. That will cut down on catching critters you don’t want (skunk, neighbors cat, etc)
    I'll try that. I gave up on trying to trap outdoors because I kept catching neighborhood cats.

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    I'll try that. I gave up on trying to trap outdoors because I kept catching neighborhood cats.
    Try one of these

Also grab a setting tool it will help. Just be sure there is nothing the coon can tear up because he will chew whatever he can up until you find him after trapped.

Top Bottom