• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Here on the Freehold we have been battling coons for the last month or so.
    I have caught 1/2 dozen in live traps and my dogs have dispatched a couple more ( Good Girls! )
    Anybody else noticing an uptick in racoon numbers?

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    same here. A constant battle to keep them out of the barn. Getting ready to clean out the hay mound and start loading it up... I have several bales with crap all over. Awful creatures. Here’s one i shot a month or so back. It was healthy... dead coon is a good one. No love for trash pandas

3EEC697D-0F5B-40A2-A200-09C5B0322230.jpeg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    20200731_063207.jpg
    Got these on a good night last season. Our Redbone treed all three one right after another.

Also there are so many distemper is killing them off as well. I've seen many with distemper the last few years.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A couple of years ago, I trapped 49 in less than a month - with just one trap. My record was four in the trap at once, with several 3’s, and many 2’s.
    To bad fur prices are so low the middle coon in the picture got $7 for him. I got him right in the heart so very little damage he was a little over 19lbs.

The other two were around $2.50 each.

Now here is the price of a coon skin coat. Someone is making a fortune off us hunters.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Pretty sure we have one. What else would have picked the lid on the bird seed?

Going on about ten years ago had a baby coon limping across the yard, little bitty and seriously hurt. By the time it was healed up enough to get around it was coming when I called it. Would come bailing out of a tree for a spice cookie. Finally had to relocate it for concern that the nearest neighbors would kill it when it went to go visit.
    cookie.jpg

KARP

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Nwi
    We've had them break into our attic twice in the last 15 years. I used live traps to evict them. I didn't relocate them because I didn't want them to end up being someone else's problem, I invested in a good pellet rifle.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The last year I had my chickens, I trapped 28 coons in 21 days. I still had more after that, but that first month I had the live traps out was insane. I have a bajillion here on my trail cameras but no longer have poultry so don't get too upset about them as long as they leave my bird feeders alone.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    My routine was to trap them and shoot them in the trap. Then took them to the back of my property and the coyotes and buzzards did the rest. They are miserable animals. Bait was tuna fish.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    We've had them break into our attic twice in the last 15 years. I used live traps to evict them. I didn't relocate them because I didn't want them to end up being someone else's problem, I invested in a good pellet rifle.
    Indeed, making them someone else's problem is a horrible thing to do.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I have been told that per the DNR it is illegal to relocate.
    You catch em you dispatch em.
    That is my creed when it comes to the little bandits!

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I live close to the white river and have two substantial creeks on my farm. This prime bottom land gives me a year round supply of coons. My feist trees them, my boy traps them, and I call and shoot them.

The coon hunters around me have written permission to shoot year round. Only after a buddy got a ticket for shooting out of season.

I don't think I'll ever thin them out, but it sure is fun trying.

Top Bottom