Question for the litigators amongst the INGO crowd, and those that profess to be

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    Question for the litigators amongst the INGO crowd, and those that profess to be IANAL but ….

My background;
    I am a live and let live kind of person. I am almost old (the new 50’s), was raised in a Christian faith. I salute the flag (Stars and Stripes), and honor our military heroes. You do what you wanna do as long as it doesn’t violate my space, give me the same consideration and we can be bud’s for life.
    I live in southeastern Indiana, small town along the river, as my avatar might suggest. And I work for a gentleman in Soutrhwestern Ohio, who has a seasonal attraction business, along with several other properties and interest. ‘Am salaried and work five to six days a week, sometimes seven days a week in the summer, non specific hours. I have owned my own business in the past, and will again in the future. And I shoot, I have for 50 years, ….. guns … and pool, sometimes well, sometimes not.

My general daily routine;
    I generally leave home in the 8:30 to 9ish area and part of my travel has me going east on U.S highway 50. Some days we “work” at a property in Indiana, some days we are at the facility in Ohio. FWIW; we generally call it a day around 4 to 5 in the afternoon, depending on the project and it’s importance.

The situation;
    This past Tuesday morning, February 7[SUP]th[/SUP], as I am weaving in and out of traffic, eastbound on the above mentioned route of travel, with cinnamon roll in hand and a hot medium black coffee in the cup holder. Oh, don’t forget to stop and see Donna and the girls for fresh pastries and hot coffee. Anywho…. as I am motivating eastbound, I come up upon a van. Not just your ordinary soccer mommy van, it was a soccer mommy van on steroids, maybe a cargo van in design, but this one is being used for jobsite service work. You know, an inspector, a spotter, a locator, that kind of educated truck load of high tech equipment type van. Maybe Freightliner Sprinters were the first of the kind, to give you a mental picture, but as I looked around the last few days I notice that most of the major brands have that type of soccer mommy on steroid type of vehicle on the road now. Anyway, as I dodge to the right lane to pass, and as I gain position on this object vehicle, what to my surprise … it has an INDOT decal on the right door. Kewl, INDOT has some new equipment, freshly washed, fairly new and lookin’ good. Now about this time as I am passing subject vehicle on the right, I notice he has those little locating flags, red flags on wire stems, in one of the tool cage bins in the back, visible as you approach from the rear through the rear door glass window. Hanging on the front bumper are the prerequisite red cones for directing traffic around your work area when working in a public thorofare, and other equipment of the trade. So far, so good. BUT here is were it get’s interesting. Doesn’t matter, but I would presume that this vehicle is dedicated to the “technician” that is driving due to the above mentioned special equipment that is noticeable through the portals of the vehicle. Soooo…… it’s about this time that I notice, that hanging from the windshield center, maybe it was hanging from a rear view mirror not sure, but in that general location, is a religious specific symbol, Christian in nature. This wasn’t a small symbol, like gold on a chain, this was somewhat large (IMO) to be hanging from windshield center. It was wooden, polished and shiny, about six inches in length, very conspicuous. About half the size of one of those kits some people have at home for use during a clergy visitation, or maybe last rights. Those that have been indoctrinated since childhood will know what I speak of. Anyway it was large, and very visible.

And now ……… The Question;
    Does this display of a religious symbol, due to it’s mounted or dangling position which is clearly visible to the general traveling public (me), violate separation of church and state due to this being a state owned vehicle, not to mention that the operator is on the clock, being paid by the state? And that it was technically attached to said state property, the van windshield.

Now once again I am a live and let live type of person. I don’t care if this “technician” wears whatever on his person as a sign of his diety admiration. OR if you want to display a recreation of a birthing event that may have happened during the winter solstice season some 2000 years ago on your local courthouse lawn, I DON’T CARE.

BUT…. This religious symbol which is being displayed on, and attached to state property, and visible to the common passerby is what raised my query.

FWIW; I find this less “offensive” than any other possible religious or political display that may be out there. (Star of David, Crescent Moon, ISIL, swastika, rainbow flags, rainbow colored unicorns, or whatever else)

Litigators what are your opinions? IANAL but…. opinions welcome as well.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    If someone were to complain, I suppose indot would tell him to take it down and could potentially discipline him.

A lawsuit would normally only occur if indot decided to tell him to keep it there.

There aren't really damages available for the horror of seeing a religious objects in a state vehicle so unless indot decided to double down there really wouldn't be a point in suing.

Since the original point of the establishment clause of the First Amendment was to prevent the federal government from messing with the religions sponsored by each of the individual states, you'll have to forgive me if I don't get too worked up about this being some sort of terrible constitutional violation. It certainly wouldn't be a violation of the First Amendment as it was understood at the time it was written.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Perhaps he was going into a vampire zone. Garlic and crosses are part of the standard kit.

And passing on the right is probably a violation.

Turn yourself in. It's the manly thing to do.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    Perhaps he was going into a vampire zone. Garlic and crosses are part of the standard kit.

And passing on the right is probably a violation.

Turn yourself in. It's the manly thing to do.

I passed on the right due to he was turning left ..... five miles down the road and he wanted to make sure he was in the left lane and prepared.

Garlic ??? maybe that was that strange odor in the air. And all this time I thought it was the smell of mash coming from Seagrams.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Question for the litigators amongst the INGO crowd, and those that profess to be IANAL but ….

My background;
    I am a live and let live kind of person. I am almost old (the new 50’s), was raised in a Christian faith. I salute the flag (Stars and Stripes), and honor our military heroes. You do what you wanna do as long as it doesn’t violate my space, give me the same consideration and we can be bud’s for life.
    I live in southeastern Indiana, small town along the river, as my avatar might suggest. And I work for a gentleman in Soutrhwestern Ohio, who has a seasonal attraction business, along with several other properties and interest. ‘Am salaried and work five to six days a week, sometimes seven days a week in the summer, non specific hours. I have owned my own business in the past, and will again in the future. And I shoot, I have for 50 years, ….. guns … and pool, sometimes well, sometimes not.

My general daily routine;
    I generally leave home in the 8:30 to 9ish area and part of my travel has me going east on U.S highway 50. Some days we “work” at a property in Indiana, some days we are at the facility in Ohio. FWIW; we generally call it a day around 4 to 5 in the afternoon, depending on the project and it’s importance.

The situation;
    This past Tuesday morning, February 7[SUP]th[/SUP], as I am weaving in and out of traffic, eastbound on the above mentioned route of travel, with cinnamon roll in hand and a hot medium black coffee in the cup holder. Oh, don’t forget to stop and see Donna and the girls for fresh pastries and hot coffee. Anywho…. as I am motivating eastbound, I come up upon a van. Not just your ordinary soccer mommy van, it was a soccer mommy van on steroids, maybe a cargo van in design, but this one is being used for jobsite service work. You know, an inspector, a spotter, a locator, that kind of educated truck load of high tech equipment type van. Maybe Freightliner Sprinters were the first of the kind, to give you a mental picture, but as I looked around the last few days I notice that most of the major brands have that type of soccer mommy on steroid type of vehicle on the road now. Anyway, as I dodge to the right lane to pass, and as I gain position on this object vehicle, what to my surprise … it has an INDOT decal on the right door. Kewl, INDOT has some new equipment, freshly washed, fairly new and lookin’ good. Now about this time as I am passing subject vehicle on the right, I notice he has those little locating flags, red flags on wire stems, in one of the tool cage bins in the back, visible as you approach from the rear through the rear door glass window. Hanging on the front bumper are the prerequisite red cones for directing traffic around your work area when working in a public thorofare, and other equipment of the trade. So far, so good. BUT here is were it get’s interesting. Doesn’t matter, but I would presume that this vehicle is dedicated to the “technician” that is driving due to the above mentioned special equipment that is noticeable through the portals of the vehicle. Soooo…… it’s about this time that I notice, that hanging from the windshield center, maybe it was hanging from a rear view mirror not sure, but in that general location, is a religious specific symbol, Christian in nature. This wasn’t a small symbol, like gold on a chain, this was somewhat large (IMO) to be hanging from windshield center. It was wooden, polished and shiny, about six inches in length, very conspicuous. About half the size of one of those kits some people have at home for use during a clergy visitation, or maybe last rights. Those that have been indoctrinated since childhood will know what I speak of. Anyway it was large, and very visible.

And now ……… The Question;
    Does this display of a religious symbol, due to it’s mounted or dangling position which is clearly visible to the general traveling public (me), violate separation of church and state due to this being a state owned vehicle, not to mention that the operator is on the clock, being paid by the state? And that it was technically attached to said state property, the van windshield.

Now once again I am a live and let live type of person. I don’t care if this “technician” wears whatever on his person as a sign of his diety admiration. OR if you want to display a recreation of a birthing event that may have happened during the winter solstice season some 2000 years ago on your local courthouse lawn, I DON’T CARE.

BUT…. This religious symbol which is being displayed on, and attached to state property, and visible to the common passerby is what raised my query.

FWIW; I find this less “offensive” than any other possible religious or political display that may be out there. (Star of David, Crescent Moon, ISIL, swastika, rainbow flags, rainbow colored unicorns, or whatever else)

Litigators what are your opinions? IANAL but…. opinions welcome as well.

First I would suggest you stop multi-tasking while driving,
    I can just envision you speeding while weaving in and around slower traffic all the while eating and paying more attention to what's in someone's work truck and what's hanging on the rear view mirror.
    How about you keep your eyes on the road, hands on the wheel, quit weaving in and around traffic and quit worrying about what's hanging inside the work truck.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    First I would suggest you stop multi-tasking while driving,
    I can just envision you speeding while weaving in and around slower traffic all the while eating and paying more attention to what's in someone's work truck and what's hanging on the rear view mirror.
    How about you keep your eyes on the road, hands on the wheel, quit weaving in and around traffic and quit worrying about what's hanging inside the work truck.

LOL I like that.

Multi tasking? Isn't that kinda like making sure that there isn't something behind or in the line of fire that you don't want to shoot as you aim at the target that you do want to shoot? Just asking.

fyi; he was doing 35 in the left lane, in a 55.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Did it cause you to have fits of rage? seizures? go blind? No? Don't worry about it
    I've seen more offensive things on state owned vehicles ( multiple states) than that.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Wait.. he has a 1st. amendment right to practice his religion without interference from the state. What would the question be if he was wearing a great big gold cross around his neck, or had his head (or for females- face) wrapped up?

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Holy jumpin crickets. I'm not even close to religious but I'm in sheer awe at your pettiness, dearest OP. Drop the 'I' and just consider yourself ANAL. Very very ANAL.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm more offended that the state sees it necessary to waste that much of our tax dollars on a vehicle that is overly built/equipped for the task assigned.
    This kind of government waste is just one more reason we can't have nice things, like roads...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom