• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    I work in a retail setting and we haven't raised our prices so these asshats that come in and buy to resell it for at least double the price get under my skin. They have no interest in standing together.

^^^ This.

So is the reason there is such a "demand" because a few is buying everything in sight?

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    This "gouging" issue is all a bunch of hogwash, last I remember nobody has to own an AR to feed there family or provide them shelter. Owning an AR isn't a nessesity, it's luxury.

The constitution only gives us the right to bare arms, nowhere does it give everyone the right to affordable AR's

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    That none of this is gouging has been explained over and over. That this is how markets work under capitalism has as well.

It doesn't matter to the people throwing tantrums. They are mad because some people are making lots of money and others aren't behaving they way them want them to behave. Despite their claims of not participating in any of this, they are still mad. Who knows why, they won't explain it. Who knows what they expect to come of of their fits, they won't explain that either.

Story time: Digging through my stuff I found 2 Romanian AK drum mags. I no longer own an AK and figured this would be a great time to sell these, so I hauled them to a gun show. Before I made it in the front door I had what was essentially an auction going on between me and 3 different prospective buyers. The most egalitarian I could get was to split the two drums to two different guys instead of letting one buy them both. They sold for $240 each. I was happy to get the money and, believe me, the two guys who got the drums were also very happy and the one guy who didn't get one was unhappy.

I think I got these in a package deal with the AK I had a while back. I know for sure I paid less than $480 for the package, so I had to have made some kind of profit.

If this story made you mad, please explain why, who was in the wrong, and what you'd like done about it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Something else - I wonder how many of the people buying right now are really "new" gun owners. I mean, we like to think that they are noobs who don't know the real value.

But, the OP includes what may be a false (or at least untested) premise: that these new sales are for "personal protection" by people who don't have any other long guns. I think what may really be happening is that we have guys who already own the firearms, but want an "extra" or are speculators - figuring that if there's an AWB-redux that the value will go up even higher.

I just don't know anyone who had a spare $2k sitting around and wanted to buy their first M4gery.

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    I wonder how many whiners would be willing sell their house for less than its original purchase price?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Wasn't too long ago (and even recently) that I remember members on here condemning and wanting gun owners to boycott Cheaper Than Dirt for doing the exact thing during panic times. ;)

CTD is a completely different beast. They CANCELLED previously placed orders so they could sell the already sold merchandise at a higher price. They broke a binding contract, that is anti-capitalistic.

other points:

People complaining about others selling guns without a FFL. Why should you even need an FFL? More power to them, you are allowed to buy and sell guns as a hobby.

I have stuff for trade, not sale. I won't charge a crazy price, but I also won't sell at a normal price because I know half the people that are PMing me just want to buy it at the old price so they can turn around and sell it at an inflated price. I will not be party to that.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Soooooooooooooooooooo guys....

I need your help, the help of this community. As of this moment, I need a house. Not just any house, I want a $300,000 (or higher) house. I couldn't and didn't buy a house when houses that are worth $300,000 now, cost a mere $150,000. I spent my money on cars, bikes, trucks, guns and tools. But now, I kinda want this house, but in reality I NEED this house. I NEED a $300,000 house to put all of these things and myself in. Nothing less will do.

I am asking all of you to gather around me as a community and help me into this house. Of course I am COMPLETELY willing to pay the $150,000 for it, that wouldn't be right if I just took it for free. I think you will all realize this is the right thing to do for me.

Thank you in advance,

Travis

PS - I also need at least 3 more Glock 21 (13 round) magazines, a fair price I am willing to pay is $20 a piece.

Dear INGO community, I am still waiting on this house, can you tell me if there has been any progress on this for me?

Also, I am now willing to pay up to $10 per mag for Glock 21 (13 round) magazines.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    That's a pretty big "if" because I think 650 on those isn't a good deal. "If" also isn't the real world. Also, if I had a buck for every time someone tried to sell me a "as new, in the box, never fired" anything, I'd be a millionaire. Which is just enough to buy about half a dozen panic-induced unprepared AR-15s. Maybe some of them will be even fancy enough to have forward assists AND detachable carry handles!

RADICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just pointing out that the guy was selling his rifle for what HE said he had in it. And using YOUR comment on the price as a guide, seems that this INGO member was being very nice when he could try to make a hefty profit, but instead was wanting to help out someone who may not be able to afford an AR at the "new" price point!
    Really had nothing to do with whether you think that particular rifle is or was a good deal or not! ( are you saying you wouldn't give $650 for that rifle now?:ingo:) (bet you would!)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    This "gouging" issue is all a bunch of hogwash, last I remember nobody has to own an AR to feed there family or provide them shelter. Owning an AR isn't a nessesity, it's luxury.

The constitution only gives us the right to bare arms, nowhere does it give everyone the right to affordable AR's

It's a good thing to, because I HATE long sleeve shirts!:D

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I was just pointing out that the guy was selling his rifle for what HE said he had in it. And using YOUR comment on the price as a guide, seems that this INGO member was being very nice when he could try to make a hefty profit, but instead was wanting to help out someone who may not be able to afford an AR at the "new" price point!
    Really had nothing to do with whether you think that particular rifle is or was a good deal or not! ( are you saying you wouldn't give $650 for that rifle now?:ingo:) (bet you would!)

If you like, I can take a photo of $650 and me shaking my head no. The market will bear what people are willing to pay. I would not "bear" the price of $650 for that rifle, but if you did and you like it then that is all that matters.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If you like, I can take a photo of $650 and me shaking my head no. The market will bear what people are willing to pay. I would not "bear" the price of $650 for that rifle, but if you did and you like it then that is all that matters.

I'm not into AR's, but if I found a great deal on one and thought that I'd be able to find reasonably priced ammo, I would possibly buy one!

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    The problem I have with some of this stuff is when a Co. tries to sell things at the normal price and some one buys it and then turns around and tries to sell it for twice what he paid for it or more. That isn't legal, it is price gouging.

There is a gas and go in town that raises his prices as high as he can any time he can. He raised his prices to $4 when every one else was getting $2 because of the oil spill in the Gulf. Two days later he had to drop his prices to match the other local prices. I think at that time they were like $2.50 then. I will not buy from him no mater what. If I have to walk, I will before I give him a dime.

I have no problem with merchants making a profit or a worker making a good wage. What I don't like is carpet baggers. All they do is drive prices up. They pay no taxes rent or any sort of over head that every one in business has to pay. They take what they can and go on to the next big thing.

As for local gun shops. Some will take care of there regular customers and put the screws to others. Some that have been in business for years will raise there prices in line with the market but will not gouge people. Any local gun shop that gouges his customers will not be in business for long. It is just to easy for people to go to Wally World or Bass Prow.

merotek

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    New Albany
    Disagree...

Much like the 2nd amendment, capitalism is one of the things that makes this a great country. Supply and Demand.

Why would one not raise the price of an item to what people currently value that item at.

Brian S.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Toto, IN
    The problem I have with some of this stuff is when a Co. tries to sell things at the normal price and some one buys it and then turns around and tries to sell it for twice what he paid for it or more. That isn't legal, it is price gouging.

What exactly is a "normal" price? Price is whatever the consumer is willing to pay, period. That's how it works when the market is stable and the prices are "normal", and that's how it works when supply or demand cause sharp upswings or downswings. Perhaps it is equally unfair when a glut in supply or demand falls off and "greedy" consumers start refusing to pay the "normal" prices of things, denying the business owner his living? "Price gouging" is an illegitimate concept that has no place being codified into law.

There is a gas and go in town that raises his prices as high as he can any time he can. He raised his prices to $4 when every one else was getting $2 because of the oil spill in the Gulf. Two days later he had to drop his prices to match the other local prices. I think at that time they were like $2.50 then. I will not buy from him no mater what. If I have to walk, I will before I give him a dime.

That's exactly how it's supposed to work. You vote against him with your wallet.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Disagree...

Much like the 2nd amendment, capitalism is one of the things that makes this a great country. Supply and Demand.

Why would one not raise the price of an item to what people currently value that item at.

A lot of people don't see that trying to keep the price from rising isn't just "not good"-- it actually works backwards.

But limiting price, the effect is a shortage. Some of you are old enough to remember the long lines for gas under the Nixon price control strategy. Why no lines in 2008 when oil hit $145/bbl? Because the price could raise and induce supply to meet the demand-- and constrain demand to help meet reduced supply.

The best thing for gun owners that like an AR is for the price to spike like this. Why? Because as long as there is both a high price AND they are legal, it's stimulating a huge supply. EVERY SINGLE maker of AR parts and .223 ammo is pumping out production as fast as humanly possible.

What happens afterward can only be good. Either a ban goes through and there's a nice quantity of pre-ban arms available, or the ban doesn't go through and overall prices come way down.

The faster the prices rise, the faster the fall when the reason for the rise (fear of ban, in this case) disappears.

JH

Top Bottom