• gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Midsouth has primers. SR, SP, SPM
    There was some Federals left when I first got on the site. By the time I got them into the cart they were sold out. Now all the SPP are out.

But at least they had some Federals. That's kinda good news. At $90/1000 its still steep but I'm willing to pay that if I can order 5K and spread the hazmat fees out.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think it would be interesting to track primer sales a few years back and a few years forward.

Can't help but think that while sales are still brisk, to catch up, primer manufacturers will eventually see that usage has gone down with the high pricing.

Business is still business. They cannot help but see that cost prohibitive primer usage could well be a trend that they'd rather not be going down.

:twocents:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I think it would be interesting to track primer sales a few years back and a few years forward.

Can't help but think that while sales are still brisk, to catch up, primer manufacturers will eventually see that usage has gone down with the high pricing.

Business is still business. They cannot help but see that cost prohibitive primer usage could well be a trend that they'd rather not be going down.

Are we sure its the manufacturers that have had the huge markups the last few years.
    Because im not sure its them.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Are we sure its the manufacturers that have had the huge markups the last few years.
    Because im not sure its them.
    Manufacturers have increased prices dramatically. If you look on ingo and other places, is not hard to find where dealers have posted letters from the manufacturers regarding the many price increases.
    The "huge" markups you describe can sometimes be attributed to other parts of the supply chain as well. Many distributors and dealers have increased their markup knowing that they will run out of product before they run out of demand.
    I'm using the same formula to mark up primers that I did 4 years ago when they were $30.85. The same primers are now $72.90 and I can't keep them in stock for more that a couple days. I'm fairly certain that my distributor also uses pretty much the same formula as before. I've noticed that some places like Midway, Brownell's, Natchez, etc., used to be about the same price as I was and are now usually a little higher. I think some of these retailers have added a small additional markup on high-demand items.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Manufacturers have increased prices dramatically. If you look on ingo and other places, is not hard to find where dealers have posted letters from the manufacturers regarding the many price increases.
    The "huge" markups you describe can sometimes be attributed to other parts of the supply chain as well. Many distributors and dealers have increased their markup knowing that they will run out of product before they run out of demand.
    I'm using the same formula to mark up primers that I did 4 years ago when they were $30.85. The same primers are now $72.90 and I can't keep them in stock for more that a couple days. I'm fairly certain that my distributor also uses pretty much the same formula as before. I've noticed that some places like Midway, Brownell's, Natchez, etc., used to be about the same price as I was and are now usually a little higher. I think some of these retailers have added a small additional markup on high-demand items.
    Thats what I posted,
    im not sure its the manufacturers Brian. When one stops at different retailers prices of popular items like Varget are all over the place, $32.99 to $63.00 a lb.
    Thats not the manufacturers doing that.

Its not like there are huge amounts of distribution in reloading components.
    Captiolism, It is what it is.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

The cure for high prices, is high prices.
    The inverse is also true, and the pendulum will never stop swinging.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    One of the places I get powder/primers from said he is using 2019 pricing structure. Plus he’s allotted certain quantities as well I believe. He was happy to get stuff in, but still has to charge $70/1k.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    W
    Thats what I posted,
    im not sure its the manufacturers Brian. When one stops at different retailers prices of popular items like Varget are all over the place, $32.99 to $63.00 a lb.
    Thats not the manufacturers doing that.

Its not like there are huge amounts of distribution in reloading components.
    Captiolism, It is what it is.
    Where can you find Varget for $32.99 other than scam sites? The cheapest I have seen it from someplace other than a scam site is around $45 plus tax. Hodgdon is charging $62,99 plus tax and shipping on their retail site. The last time I got Varget the price had gone up again, now my retail price is $47.67 plus tax.
    I'm not sure how much of the increase is ADI, how much is the shipping companies and how much is Hodgdon. When products like Varget come from Australia, distribution of HAZ-MAT products across the globe is expensive and will add to the price tag.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    W

Where can you find Varget for $32.99 other than scam sites? The cheapest I have seen it from someplace other than a scam site is around $45 plus tax. Hodgdon is charging $62,99 plus tax and shipping on their retail site. The last time I got Varget the price had gone up again, now my retail price is $47.67 plus tax.
    I'm not sure how much of the increase is ADI, how much is the shipping companies and how much is Hodgdon. When products like Varget come from Australia, distribution of HAZ-MAT products across the globe is expensive and will add to the price tag.
    Ive seen it more than one place. Its not like this is something new to me. You know that my friend.
    Its Capitalism and im good with it.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Ive seen it more than one place. Its not like this is something new to me. You know that my friend.
    Not Varget, but I picked up a pound of X-Terminator for $25 at Sportsman's Warehouse. It is the same as Accurate 2230.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    The reason I ask, is that Hodgdon will not sell directly to dealers, only distributors or buying groups. While I'm listed on the Hodgdon website as a dealer, I still have to go through their distributor network. At 32.99, it is significantly below dealer pricing, I'm guessing that's close to distributor wholesale price. I'd take a couple pallets at that price if I could get it. As it is, I'm paying over $6 per # more than that (with no shipping or HAZ-MAT), and they limit how much they will sell me. I have several other distributors that I can get it from but then I would have to pay even more and also pay for shipping and HAZ-MAT. To me that price sounds like it's either a scam, or a loss leader to get people in the door.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The reason I ask, is that Hodgdon will not sell directly to dealers, only distributors or buying groups. While I'm listed on the Hodgdon website as a dealer, I still have to go through their distributor network. At 32.99, it is significantly below dealer pricing, I'm guessing that's close to distributor wholesale price. I'd take a couple pallets at that price if I could get it. As it is, I'm paying over $6 per # more than that (with no shipping or HAZ-MAT), and they limit how much they will sell me. I have several other distributors that I can get it from but then I would have to pay even more and also pay for shipping and HAZ-MAT. To me that price sounds like it's either a scam, or a loss leader to get people in the door.
    Come on Brian, you know I am aware of how it all works. I have loads of friends and family in the industry.
    That 16 lbs of Shooters World was the first powder I have bought at retail for personal use in 15 -20 years.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Come on Brian, you know I am aware of how it all works. I have loads of friends and family in the industry.
    That 16 lbs of Shooters World was the first powder I have bought at retail for personal use in 15 -20 years.
    I know you know how it works, that's why I'd like to know where I can get it cheaper if it's available. I don't expect you to post it publicly, but I'm always looking for additional sources for everything. At $47.67 I can only keep it on the shelf for a couple days. If I could sell it for around $40, I could move a pallet of it in a couple weeks or less. Just asking you to keep me in mind if you see a deal like that in the future (assuming there is enough available to make it worth my time).

Top Bottom