• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtinner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    somewhere in ohio
    I'm pretty new to the gun world and have a question about what are fair and reasonable prices for ammo. I know all about the 22 lr situation, I'm asking mainly about prices on 38 special, 357 magnum, and 9mm.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    In my opinion,
    $0.08 per round or less for 22 LR
    $0.30 per round for 38 Special
    $0.40 per round for 357 Magnum
    $0.25 per round for 9mm
    The above prices are for factory brass cased ammo.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In my opinion,
    $0.08 per round or less for 22 LR
    $0.30 per round for 38 Special
    $0.40 per round for 357 Magnum
    $0.25 per round for 9mm
    The above prices are for factory brass cased ammo.

I know he said "reasonable", which is subjective, but with the exception of .22LR, I haven't seen those prices since before Newtown. Prices have come down, especially recently. I did find a deal on it in Louisville a few days ago for $239.99 / case. But it's hard to find it for much less than $0.30/rnd normally.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I posted about two sites that had 9mm for around $.25 per round with shipping earlier. One has S&B for sale and the other has Blazer Brass.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...356817-ammogals-com-militaryshooters-com.html

I'm actually bummed because I found some Blazer Brass for under $.23 per round last month from MidwayUSA due to a nice $45 off coupon that for once worked on ammo! Been hoping to find a stellar deal like that again, but it looks like the above are the best deals currently (for retail, not steel cased or reman ammo). At least that I can find.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    9mm is usually closer to .28-.30 per round after tax or shipping from my experience.

I know he said "reasonable", which is subjective, but with the exception of .22LR, I haven't seen those prices since before Newtown. Prices have come down, especially recently. I did find a deal on it in Louisville a few days ago for $239.99 / case. But it's hard to find it for much less than $0.30/rnd normally.

I've been buying at his price or less for 9mm some local and some online. The trick is to buy when the price is right and not when you need ammo...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Before Newtown I used to buy in bulk and keep a good supply up. After, it was just too expensive and often hard to find, so I cut down on my shooting some so I wouldn't use it up. But even through the worst of it I never bought because I had to.

Now I buy a few boxes here and there locally whenever I see a good deal regardless of whether I need it or not. Heck, no matter how much I have I always "need" more. Buying a few boxes here or there is not cost effective to do buying online because shipping is just too expensive unless you buy enough to make up for it.

Now that the availability is getting better and the prices are starting to come down more, I may go back to buying bulk online.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I'm not sure about jamil, but after all the shortages and price hikes, it always feels better to have as much ammo on hand as possible. Any time I see a good deal on ammo, I'm tempted to pick some up, regardless of how much I already have...
    This ^^. My whole life I have always kept some inventory of whatever I shoot regularly. Since the shortages after 2008 election, I buy any factory ammo or reloading components that I see at a good price. I have enough .22 to last me for several years but I still buy a couple bricks or boxes anytime I see it at a decent price. It won't spoil. Even prices that seem high today, may be a bargain after the 2016 election , the next mass shooting, etc. The 2nd amendment doesn't guarantee the right to cheap ammo or the right to buy whenever you want.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Why do you always "need" more?

Why do you "need" to know?

BTW, Cabella's had a good deal on federal xm193. Best price I've seen on Federal XM193 since Newtown was $7.99/20 rds. They had a crap ton this morning for $7.49. I picked up a few boxes even though I have plenty at home. When I see a good deal. I pick some up.

When the ***** is elected in '16 and the tin foil hatters render the shelves bare, I'll have plenty sitting dry in the safe. Before Newtown I was complacent and expected the same continuous availability. Shows you never know when panic will strike on a random Friday.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    What I'm asking is this: Even in this panic-driven, post-whatever, Democratic-president era...isn't there a point where you have "enough" ammo or reloading supplies?

If you "always" buy more, how do you distinguish yourself from the tin-foil-hatters?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I guess my question would be, what do you consider too much? If I had 2 or 3k of whatever I'm using, I would still buy more if I saw a good deal. Maybe if I hit 10k I'd feel I had "too much". :):

Top Bottom