• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Not that I don't think it would have been an "experience" of a life time for the OP! But I don't feel he should be given THAT much credit for NOT STAINING HIS PANTS!!!

I gotta feeling the pucker power he had going with that .40 pointed at him could have shut off the Gulf Oil leak in a heartbeat! LOL

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Not that I don't think it would have been an "experience" of a life time for the OP! But I don't feel he should be given THAT much credit for NOT STAINING HIS PANTS!!!

I gotta feeling the pucker power he had going with that .40 pointed at him could have shut off the Gulf Oil leak in a heartbeat! LOL

:lmfao: Thanks for that! I think I need to change my boxers now though! :lmfao:

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    See, overzealous cops, why the hell were you spread out at gunpoint? Were you breaking the law? Was there any PC for the whole situation? These kind of stories really get under my skin. It doesnt matter that everything was kewl at the end, IT SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED TO BEGIN WITH!

Ausweiss Bitte?

INGunGuy

The PC would be him being present with his truck and also moving in a hurry while the officer was on scene of what he assumed/dispatched to what was a burglary in progress. PC is reasonable suspicion by the officer of a crime being committed, no more, no less. Yes in hindsight the weather would tell us the reason he was in a hurry, but that would not be justification enough to not have his gun drawn on a felony call in a semi-private place. What if he was the actual criminal and he arrived on scene without his gun drawn? Everything from that point on would be because he didn't follow proper training procedures and would be in the criminals hands.

It was an unfortunate situation. I'm glad you were ok and sorry you had to be inconvenienced like that. However, I am also glad that the officer did his job well and did not slack off despite the situation. It only takes one time of letting your guard down to not come home while on duty. These incidents are few and far between, but can also end poorly. I'm glad that was not the case here. Have a good one.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    The PC would be him being present with his truck and also moving in a hurry while the officer was on scene of what he assumed/dispatched to what was a burglary in progress. PC is reasonable suspicion by the officer of a crime being committed, no more, no less. Yes in hindsight the weather would tell us the reason he was in a hurry, but that would not be justification enough to not have his gun drawn on a felony call in a semi-private place. What if he was the actual criminal and he arrived on scene without his gun drawn? Everything from that point on would be because he didn't follow proper training procedures and would be in the criminals hands.

It was an unfortunate situation. I'm glad you were ok and sorry you had to be inconvenienced like that. However, I am also glad that the officer did his job well and did not slack off despite the situation. It only takes one time of letting your guard down to not come home while on duty. These incidents are few and far between, but can also end poorly. I'm glad that was not the case here. Have a good one.

I call BS!

Someone makes a call to 911 to report a crime in progress by an armed man all the while NO crimes are being committed.

A person in a secured storage facility getting his own property from his own rental unit completly visible to everyone. Like that is so uncommon?:rolleyes:

911 caller comitted a crime of false reporting .

Police officer committed a crime by acting on known false information, trespassing and intimidating a citizen doing lawful activites!

911 calls don't give LEOs carte blanche to do what ever they want.

I think the OP should sue the 911 caller !

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I call BS!

Someone makes a call to 911 to report a crime in progress by an armed man all the while NO crimes are being committed.

A person in a secured storage facility getting his own property from his own rental unit completly visible to everyone. Like that is so uncommon?:rolleyes:

911 caller comitted a crime of false reporting .

Police officer committed a crime by acting on known false information, trespassing and intimidating a citizen doing lawful activites!

I think the OP should sue the 911 caller !

The neighbors to the storage shed were trimming up bushes next to the fenced in complex. Had a ladder over the fence so they could trim the inside first. With permission of course. Actually, they were told to trim it by the guy that owns the complex. ANYway. At the same time, I pull in. There's no way they knew I was armed, just that someone had a ladder over the fence and I was in A unit getting stuff out.

Knowing that there have been multiple burglaries at this complex, yea, I'd probably called the police too. :dunno:

Oh, and I'm not a cop, but I do believe that most LEO's are trained to approach a burglary in progress call with guns ready/drawn instead of walking up with their thumb in their butt going "Uhuh uhuh Whatcha doing?"

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute

You act as if the sole purpose of the LEO's morning was to harass the public at a storage facility. Not realistic. He was responding to it as a felonious call from dispatch as he was trained to do. Call of burglary in progress, person moving quickly (albeit caused by weather), ladder on fence in sight. PC is justified to draw down on who he thinks is involved in felonious activity whether you agree with it or not as it is at the officers discretion in the line of duty to decide if he has a reasonable belief that a suspect has committed a crime. It would hold up in court 1000 times over, especially since no and no thing was hurt/damaged during the incident. The LEO even awaited backup before proceeding out of caution and safety for everyone. In the end the officer was nice and both parties talked openly in good conscience. I see no problem. We should be so lucky that we don't have Barney's walking up to 911 calls pulling out a wedgy with one hand and eating a donut with the other.

They don't have a blank check on what they do, but they do have department and state procedures to follow while responding to a 911 call. :twocents:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    You act as if the sole purpose of the LEO's morning was to harass the public at a storage facility. Not realistic. He was responding to it as a felonious call from dispatch as he was trained to do. Call of burglary in progress, person moving quickly (albeit caused by weather), ladder on fence in sight. PC is justified to draw down on who he thinks is involved in felonious activity whether you agree with it or not as it is at the officers discretion in the line of duty to decide if he has a reasonable belief that a suspect has committed a crime. It would hold up in court 1000 times over, especially since no and no thing was hurt/damaged during the incident. The LEO even awaited backup before proceeding out of caution and safety for everyone. In the end the officer was nice and both parties talked openly in good conscience. I see no problem. We should be so lucky that we don't have Barney's walking up to 911 calls pulling out a wedgy with one hand and eating a donut with the other.

They don't have a blank check on what they do, but they do have department and state procedures to follow while responding to a 911 call. :twocents:

Would the false 911 call not be a real "felonious call " ?

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    The neighbors to the storage shed were trimming up bushes next to the fenced in complex. Had a ladder over the fence so they could trim the inside first. With permission of course. Actually, they were told to trim it by the guy that owns the complex. ANYway. At the same time, I pull in. There's no way they knew I was armed, just that someone had a ladder over the fence and I was in A unit getting stuff out.

Knowing that there have been multiple burglaries at this complex, yea, I'd probably called the police too. :dunno:

Oh, and I'm not a cop, but I do believe that most LEO's are trained to approach a burglary in progress call with guns ready/drawn instead of walking up with their thumb in their butt going "Uhuh uhuh Whatcha doing?"

I did not read any of that info in your posts.
    But would not the vehicle present make the ladder seem useless?
    Seems you didn't just pull in since you had to have the code to get in.

My problem is the LEOs are acting on a 911 call that was completly erroneous. From your statements you had done nothing illegal.

I would take great offense to being cuffed and detained if I was doing nothing ileagal because someone called in false information.
    You don't seem to have had a problem with it but I don't think others should have to be subject to it.

Oh, and I'm not a cop, but I do believe that most LEO's are trained to approach a burglary in progress call with guns ready/drawn instead of walking up with their thumb in their butt going "Uhuh uhuh Whatcha doing?"[/

When you compare those same views in the OC debate it makes them look kind of silly:
    With all the murders committed with a firearm do you think the police should take the same actions against every person with a gun they see or hear about?
    Or should it be based on 911 calls from people who are scared about seeing a person armed?

Problem to me is there was no real "burglary in progress", only in the 911 callers and LEOs mind.

I would like to hear the 911 call.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You make some good points, however, you have to realize this call, at first glance, I'm sure seemed to be exactly what it looked like...

I did not read any of that info in your posts.
    But would not the vehicle present make the ladder seem useless?
    Seems you didn't just pull in since you had to have the code to get in.
    ...Yes, the ladder WOULD seem useless, unless they used that first to gain entry, manipulated the automated gate, let me in, then left the ladder.

My problem is the LEOs are acting on a 911 call that was completly erroneous. From your statements you had done nothing illegal.
    ...As true as this statement is, all actions when the officer approached, including me being armed openly, sure probably seemed to the officer to be just what was called in. I may have not been doing anything illegal, but there's no way he could have known that without talking to me and me explaining the situation. Considering he was on the OTHER side of an 8ft chain link fence, I understand why he handled it the way he did. Except keeping the gun trained on me until backup arrived.

I would take great offense to being cuffed and detained if I was doing nothing ileagal because someone called in false information.
    You don't seem to have had a problem with it but I don't think others should have to be subject to it.
    ...I, too, took great offense to being cuffed. However, being cuffed doesn't go on your record. Only if you go to the station does it count on your record. Had I been ARRESTED, I would have filed suit. They didn't, I didn't.

But you say that others here, and most likely yourself, shouldn't be subject to investigation of a felony should you be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just because you're a gun owner? Or you have money? Or what? No one here is above the law or the investigation of the law. It wasn't a man with a gun call. It was a burglary in progress call and I just happen to be open carrying. ARMED burglary is a VERY serious offense, and most armed burglars aren't too friendly if an officer interrupts them.

You have to give officers SOME leeway to do their jobs. Within the law of course. I'm not saying let them throw you in cuffs every time you get pulled over speeding, or let them search your car. I'm just saying that if you're in a similar situation, and they need to put you in cuffs until they find out you're NOT a felon, that's better than smarting off or refusing and going to jail. :twocents:

When you compare those same views in the OC debate it makes them look kind of silly:
    With all the murders committed with a firearm do you think the police should take the same actions against every person with a gun they see or hear about?
    Or should it be based on 911 calls from people who are scared about seeing a person armed?
    ...No, I don't think that's a good comparison. I've had two officers approach me for OCing, but was never cuffed. This time I was OCing, AND it looked like I was robbing a storage unit. See the difference in situations here?

Problem to me is there was no real "burglary in progress", only in the 911 callers and LEOs mind.
    ...If it was your storage unit, wouldn't you want people watching over it so that it DIDN"T get burglarized? No, there wasn't one, but they didn't realize that. I'm glad they were concerned citizens and not complacent sheep.

I would like to hear the 911 call.

So would I. I would also like to see the report.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Would the false 911 call not be a real "felonious call " ?

If the 911 call was truly done maliciously and was considered false reporting it would be a class D felony. However, neither dispatch, nor the officer can know this without the officer response to the scene. Even then, they would have to sort out if the original 911 caller's intent was to create mischief on false pretenses. In this case, I would assume the caller thought what they saw was in fact a crime in progress.

If officers do not respond out of fear of what you are basically questioning, than the legal system would be entrenched with civil lawsuits for departments failure to respond in emergency situations. That hypothetical situation would be pure silliness.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but it would be completely blind if they never showed up in the first place.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    If the 911 call was truly done maliciously and was considered false reporting it would be a class D felony. However, neither dispatch, nor the officer can know this without the officer response to the scene. Even then, they would have to sort out if the original 911 caller's intent was to create mischief on false pretenses. In this case, I would assume the caller thought what they saw was in fact a crime in progress.

If officers do not respond out of fear of what you are basically questioning, than the legal system would be entrenched with civil lawsuits for departments failure to respond in emergency situations. That hypothetical situation would be pure silliness.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but it would be completely blind if they never showed up in the first place.

Acting on 911 dumb and dumber callers thoughts is what is pure silliness.

I do some research , but I believe their is no legal recourse to nonresponse of 911 calls.

Here is a story: http://www.etruth.com/Know/News/Story.aspx?

The protective law, put in place to limit counties' liability as they implemented enhanced 911 services, has been upheld by the Indiana Supreme Court.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    I need to request both the 911 call and the transmission to and from the cars. Are these on the same tape? Probably not. What is the name of the transmission log that records the communications to and from the cars and radios?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You think he'd like it here? I've been a member for about 16 hours and 50% of the threads I've clicked on have been either cop bashing or ended up cop bashing. He'd probably delete his account after a day.

I'd venture to say that most LEO's have thicker skin than that. Most of us on this site highly respect the job they do. You just won't see articles about the good they do because those stories don't sell. :dunno:

You won't see me bashing a LEO unless he deserves it for being a complete and total #$#@ head.

:patriot:

I tell anyone about INGO if they talk any guns with me and even have a stack of business cards Fenway gave me to hand out. ;)

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I have had gun pointed at me 3 times and shot at once ( two shots and lucky for me 2 misses ) . I haven't had to change pants yet but close. It definitely doesn't get any easier with experience.
    First time was over 40 years ago. ..late 1960's( I had long hair ). Pulled into local gas station and owner came out to pump gas. He well known around town ( population 500 ) as a drinker. Also well known he had a gun within reach everywhere he was plus carried a derringer in his front coveralls pocket. I had known him most of my life. I and my Dad both did gas & repair business with him regularly. He came up to me smiling, we exchanged hello's, and he proceeded to pull the derringer and place it an inch from my forehead - aimed between my eyes. He started cussing about long-haired hippies, etc. He smelled like a brewery. Somehow I kept my cool and managed to "talk him down". I got my gas and left. I bought my gas elsewhere after that.
    Couple years later, got stopped about midnight, 20 miles from home. 2 state troopers, guns drawn, searched car and me. Seemed to get mad and asked "Where's it at ?" I ask what ? Answer- The pot . I told them I didn't have any. After a rather heated exchange during which they threatened to hold me for 72 hours for processing ( My wedding was scheduled in about 42 hours ) they finally said I could go. Didn't have to tell me twice. I later learned this was an area where marijuana grows wild. It was late fall (picking time) and I assumed they must have thought someone was in area picking and I was in wrong place at wrong tome.
    A few years ago I pulled into a field ( am a farmer ) about 11 PM to relieve an employee. As I turned off-road into the lane, my head lights illuminated a person attempting to steal the ATV that I had sitting there. He froze in the lights and I jumped out...forgetting to grab my 12 gauge. I yelled at him and started to approach at which time he pulled a pistol and took 2 shots at me. I dropped & he ran. I jumped in truck, "racked" the 12 ga. , cranked the wheel, floored it, and spun a couple 360's in order to use my headlights to see my entire perimeter. Didn't see him. Neighbor across road was a county reserve. Pulled into his drive, blowing my horn. He came out in his underwear with a double barrel 12 ga. Told him the deal, he ran back into house and came back out with radio, pistol, badge, and pants. We took off. About a mile away we topped a hill and caught two guys outside their truck relieving themselves ( they had probably seen ATV before dark and came back with driver dropping passenger). Pulled up and stopped behind them...license bent over and unable to read. Neighbor got out, approached, ID'd himself, and they jumped back in open doors and took off. We chased them for several miles but gave up on dirt road when it was finally not safe to continue...we were in their dust, poor visibility, and speeds just not safe. Talk about adrenaline rush !
    6 months ago I just happened to be returning from picking up my new carry gun at my local gun shop. It was in case beside me on seat...also had my loaded normal carry. Took off from stop light and noticed city officer 2 back at cross street. Next time I looked in mirror, he was on my butt with lights on. What did I do ? I knew I hadn't run light, wasn't speeding, everything with truck legal. I pulled over, rolled down window, and stuck my arms out. He was ALL business...careful approach with gun drawn and pointed at me. Stopped behind me a couple feet with gun aimed at my head. After a couple questions he ask to look in back seat...still covering me. Then came up even with me...still aimed at me. Ask where my ID was. I told him. Told me to SLOWLY retrieve it. As I was getting it, he ask if I was armed. I said yes I was...would he like to see my permit. Wasn't interested...only wanted to know what caliber. I told him about both guns. He looked at my ID. Then holstered his gun. Finally he says, 'Spose I owe you some kind of explanation. I thought that would be nice. Seems there had just been an armed bank robbery and the Bad Guy escaped in a truck identical to mine. Said I was free to go ( didn't say 'have a nice day' ) .He didn't have to tell me twice. I was 8 miles from home. 3 miles later , I met a county officer. As soon as we passed, he did a u-turn and on came the lights. Here we go again. I pulled over, lowered window and stuck out my arms. He stayed in car a minute and I could see he was on radio. Finally he approached...hand on hip. I could hear chatter on his radio. By the time he got to me he sort of had a ....eating grin on his face. He says- They tell me you have already been checked out...you are free to go. He too didn't have to say it twice.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom