• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    So, I'm sitting out at my storage unit today just minding my own, loading up my truck with boxes, strapping down the tarp before the rain hits. I get everything I can loaded up and I'm strapping down the last 4 bungees in the back when I hear someone coming up to my left.

EPIC Situational awareness fail.

Plainfield Police Officer comes on the outside of the fence of the storage unit with his gun drawn! ON ME!!! :wtf: Mind you, he's on the other side of a 7' chain link fence, and I see him just as he's coming up from about the other side of my truck. He yells at me to turn around, walk backwards, then get on the ground. So, naturally, I'm like :eek: but get quickly on the ground, arms stretched as far as they go.

I asked what'd I do? and he says that they had a report of someone breaking into a storage unit. I said, sir, I own, uh, I mean rent this unit, the key is in the lock on the ground just inside the door. At this point, the people that live in the house 30yrds away are like, "Officer, it's ok, he comes out here, that's his unit, his kids have played with our son." I told the officer the code to get into the gate so his backup could get in.

At this point he's getting the idea that all is well, but I've got a gun on my hip and there's NO way he's taking that Glock .40 off my head. Yes, my head. I can see the hollow point in the barrel. :n00b:

Mind you, it's raining, it's been raining lightly for a minute, I've got a gun to my head, but luckily our possessions are covered with the tarp on the bed of my truck. And I've got a friggin gun to my head. Still.

Finally the back up officer arrives, places me in cuffs, takes my gun, unloads it and is looking for a place to put it. I asked him if he would place everything inside the storage unit so it doesn't tear up my tarp or get all muddy on the ground. He was real nice about the whole thing and had already figured this was all a big mistake. I'm still flipping out. I'm off the wet ground, but at least the gun is off my head. :) We proceed to go through the usual. ID and LTCH in the wallet in my back pocket, runs my info, comes back in code.

Officer says I have warrants... :eek: :wtf: :runaway: Oh, he's laughing. Just kidding. Hahaha I'm about to **** my pants. :):

So we get to talking and I'm telling him about my gun and has he heard of INGO? No? You should check it out. You'd like it. :) So he proceeds to tell me that there have been an increasing number of break in's at my storage complex. The people living next to it were asked by the owner to cut the shrubs back that were "invading" his property. So they were having it done, while I was there, and they had a ladder over the fence to get inside to cut back the shrubs. With permission of course.

Right place, WRONG time.

The officer said he was glad there were normal people that carry and commended me on doing so. He said with the recent surge of crime in Plainfield, they've been running all over town everyday, and working a lot of overtime. So they're both glad to see and hear more and more people carrying.

Finally they get me out of the cuffs, and apologize for the trouble. We shake hands and part ways. Of course my hands never stopped shaking until I got home and slammed down a couple Coronas.

I never really understood what it felt like to be on the other side of a gun until today.

What I learned:

- If I had noticed him sooner, and he had not been a cop, I would have had more time to react.

- The area of my storage unit (which is facing the perimeter of the complex) has NO cover, just concealment.

- By the time I noticed the officer, I had enough time to get behind the tire of my truck for at least a little concealment, but it still could have been bad.

- Next time I go to storage, don't do it before it rains and take my time so it doesn't look like I'm robbing the place. :n00b:

- I thought I had a pretty good handle on my situational awareness, but apparently I need to work on it.

- Plainfield Officers are some of the nicest officers I've ever encountered.

- It pays to make friends with anyone who lives next to places you own/rent/lease.

- Never, EVER **** off a PPD officer. He will shoot you. :):

Overall, it wasn't a bad experience, but it sure scared the living :poop: outta me. I thought I did something wrong. But, the officers were really nice and friendly (after the gun was put away) :): and everyone walked away with no one going to jail or the morgue. :n00b:

Just wanted to share my experience. Now I have to go reinstall windows on my desktop :rolleyes: and go eat supper.

Hope everyone had a better day than I!!!!! :D

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    Wow, scary!

I hope that never happens to me. Having a Glock (which everyone knows can go off at any time) pointed at my head would probably make me :poop: myself...

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Damn. Talk about wrong place wrong time. At least they weren't scolding you for carrying.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    See, overzealous cops, why the hell were you spread out at gunpoint? Were you breaking the law? Was there any PC for the whole situation? These kind of stories really get under my skin. It doesnt matter that everything was kewl at the end, IT SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED TO BEGIN WITH!

Ausweiss Bitte?

INGunGuy

Last edited:

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    wow...to think i had a bad day cause i ran out of toilet paper!...don't know if i would have been so polite after the fact...but then agian..i'm a jerk...so you did the right thing...giving ya a rep for not crapping yer pants..

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    See, GD cops, why the hell were you spread out at gunpoint? Were you breaking the law? Was there any PC for the whole situation? These kind of stories really get under my skin. It doesnt matter that everything was kewl at the end, IT SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED TO BEGIN WITH!
    INGunGuy
    I'm inclined to agree with this...

I mean comeon... They are told both by you and near by witnesses that you're not causing trouble. They still feel the need to stay drawn on you? (because deadly force is warranted??) And then to make it sting a bit more, they leave you in the rain, cuff you for literally no reason, disarm you, and continue to restrain you for quite some time?

It's like saying a mugger is polite because he's courteous and professional while he's holding you at knife point, and because he decides to mail your wallet back to you when it's all over. Either way, you're fronting both of their paychecks. The only difference is what they're doing is 'technically' legal.

But if you draw down on some dude because you think he might be up to something, and you see a gun on his hip, you'll be arrested and your rights as a gun owner will be revoked.

Sure, they were 'polite', if polite means holding someone at gunpoint for no reason. But they still grossly overreacted.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have to agree, they were out of line handling it as they did. You did well in a bad situation, but I do not see the PC on this one. I may have, once it settled down, "nicely" said to the officer that had the gun drawn on me to explain his justification for his action. Then, perhaps shared that filing a complaint would be justified, just to give him something to think about.

Of course, easy to say that from the sidelines. Well done.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    The police get a call about someone breaking into some storage units, they roll up and the person has a gun. How else do you guys think this should be handled? If it was my property it would of been handled the same way.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    i agree with the 1st response...they had every right to assume the worst....but after they relize that everyone and their brother knows this guy and he's not the bad guy...for heaven sake...get the gun out of his face!!

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    The police get a call about someone breaking into some storage units, they roll up and the person has a gun. How else do you guys think this should be handled? If it was my property it would of been handled the same way.

Exactly how it was handled, up until it was clear there wasn't a threat. The cuffs, the disarming, the time wasting all should have been avoided. *shrugs*

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    was that cop so untrained and scared that he felt holding you at gun point was his only option? this is so stupid! If it were me, it would now be my turn to make him sh*t his pants because hes a retard and shouldnt have a badge. I hope the retard comes to INGO and sees me say it too. RETARD.
    File a complaint and depending on their response lawyer up. they cuffed you for no good reason other than to play cowboys.
    i wouldnt have given them the code to the gate either. i would have made him stand in the rain even longer, looking like a azz bag, and then maybe someone would have started filming.

I support good cops. not azz bag RETARDS

Top Bottom