• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The half length feed tube pre-microgroove .35 Remington is the best they ever made.
    If Ruger started producing those they couldn't make them quick enough.
    (**** this got long) love the JM circled marlins.

That would be a waffle top sporting carbine or in barrel marked terms a 336SC 35 rem. The marking for a full tube will be 336 RC 35 rem.

Microgroove in 35 rem works well unless you want to shoot downloaded chunks of lead instead of copper coated bullets. Some of the 35 rem microgroove marlins have a ton of grooves in the barrel. I think when marlin was still using the hook cut Ballard rifles they were 7 grove in 35 rem. I took lots of time to cut the barrels. About 45 minutes on a 7 groove barrel each.

Microgroove barrels came around in 1958 on center fire rifles. In 35 rem there were 16 grooves In The bore. In 1968 they changed the 35 rem to 12 grooves. The 30-30 started at 16 grooves in 1955. 22 grooves on 1958-1968 and then 12 grooves post 1968. Rifles barrels took minutes to cut not half hours. Maybe a production cost cutting measure but I think it worked very well.

I have shot many 1958-1968 marlin 30-30 ‘s and many of them shoot lights out. The grooves are a little thinner and less deep. I purchased a couple that had been poorly cleaned. Sometimes just copper clogged and a couple that had been molested with a cleaning rod and the grooves had been deformed (maybe a worn out wedge cut barrel from the factory going out of tolerance also). These shot well but not lights out. The original 1960 I still have was copper fouled pretty good. I spent lots of time until the patches came out without copper. I think that rifle was a deer gun. Shot during season and quickly cleaned and put away. I don’t think any copper was removed from the barrel before I purchased it in the 1980’s. It will shoot with bolt guns at 100 yards. Looking down the bore now is like a prism with 22 grooves in 30 diameter barrel.

I have another 35 rem RC that the owner was selling that he said misfired or lite strike on the primer. 100 dollars back in the day took it home. Since the 35 rem rests on the shoulder not the rim the chamber on this one is a little long. First I replaced springs and such. Once in a while chick no bang. And maybe a very small dent or no dent on the round. Hmmm. Was about to resell it off and a reloader told me to being him some fired cases For his marlin load to test the ammo. Seem the once fired (or several times fired cases never had an issue going off. He measured and yes this rifles chamber is a little deep. Once the rounds were fire formed to the rifle no issues. The shoulder was just deep.

Marlins in 35 rem can be a little picky as the round is great but was made for auto rifles no lever actions. I think marlin did a good job making stuff back then but tolerance issues during a run effected some rifles.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    You got it jmarriot, cast bullets are the game. By the way, even the microgroove barrels can do well with cast but the diameters and loading need to be tweaked to suit the rifling.

Another something I'd love to have but now the odds are growing steeper...
    A Marlin rebarreled for 6.8SPC using 30-30 brass to make the cartridges from.
    6.8 rimmed.jpg
    It would be somewhere oh say, like between a 25-20 and a 25-35 but .28 diameter. Or as Goldilocks said, just right.
    I even have three molds, the dies and the brass for it but life so has a way of putting curves and pot holes before you.
    :@ya:<--- heavy sigh

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    To be honest I currently own three JM Stamped 336c's in 35 Remington to hunt with here on prvt and pub prop I bought once they became legal. Very beautiful rifles and for a LA surprisingly accurate at 1.25-1.5" 100 yards guns with my reloads.

If Ruger produces a 336c in 450 or 350 I'd be hard pressed to pass it up as 358 Rem brass is VERY hard to come by. The only producer is Hornady and I bought a butt load when I found it available and it has been rarely available since.

I do not understand so many peoples aversion to recoil.
    My boys first deer hunted with me at 10 and 12. Both shot 12ga slug guns as I was not going to go buy new 20ga FR/slug guns as I had 4 12ga FR/slug guns already. But much more importantly I had on hand between Rem, Fed and Lightfield closer to 700 than 600 12g sabot slugs on hand as well.
    I made them well aware of what to expect and had installed Limbsaver recoil pads on all of the slug guns and had them wear a PAST super plus magnum recoil shield and they both had no issues shooting up a BUNCH of my $$$ by firing $3+ ea sabot slug ammo learning how to shoot my slug guns well.
    Now since we switched to the 336's my slug guns see little use. Still on private land my 300wsm and 308 are legal so they also hunt with these as my one son shoots my T3 Lite in 300wsm very well and is his rifle of choice if possible, 300wsm shot out of a 8.4lb fully dressed rifle is QUITE an attention getter, but he does just fine.

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    Ruger has started producing or maybe testing production at the new new Marlin facility in NC.

What was the date on this post? They have been saying Marlin rifles would be out in the 2nd half of this year... well, its almost the end of the year. I'm getting anxious lol

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I do not enjoy setting up slug guns any longer.

Back then rifled barrels were not common and foster slugs the norm. The sabot rounds became the rage. we used to build and sell off slug guns for people to use deer hunting.
    many loved those SST SLUGS. some did not but would fire other like buckhammers well. Lots for firing rounds down range from a rest. Getting scope mount to hold up to recoil on shotguns original design without scope mounts ect. After accurate groups were gained we got a good idea of what shotguns worked real well.

find a gun for sale right after deer season cheap. Set it up for shoot slugs well. Sell it off late summer early fall for a small profit and move up to a better slug gun or two next year. I don’t think we ever made a penny but we had great slug guns for deer season for ourselves.

I kept one a 20 gauge single shot h and r that shoots nice 2 2.5 inch groups at 200 yards. i have yet to use it since the PCR RILFES were made legal.

my shoulder still hurts

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Hopefully, Ruger improves the design a bit to fix the "Marlin Jam" problem. Wouldn't take much, just a slight tweak of the lever cam and carrier geometry. (Or maybe just a little production TLC to break/round the sharp edge of the cam ever so slightly.)

kjdoski

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Bloomington, IN
    I want a Big Loop 1894 Trapper in 45 Colt. An octagonal barrel version would be a plus. I've got all my SAA clone needs covered in that caliber, so not really chuffed about the .357/.44 versions. Oh well, I'll go back to (im)patiently waiting.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The dreaded marlin jam, normally a lifter with issues. Had a few that would jam a bit but was always able to get them working fine.

only had one that was truly an issue the 336 44 mag which I sold off because it was rather limited in the years it was made. no matter what I did to it the jam would happen at time. I think just using the 336 action for a pistol round was not a good idea. Thus the 1894 rebirth came.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Where are these, are they ready yet?...................how'bout now?................now?
    WTH? We're running out of "end of year" for these things to be released in.
    I've decided on the model, caliber and barrel length I want (changes often), just need Ruger to do their part and get these into our LGS......................is that too much to ask?
    C'mon Ruger!

Top Bottom