• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The printed word is all about the 336 line being brought back chambered in .350 Legend, which would be an awesome deer gun on any land, but how much would you be willing to lay out for a new 39/39A?

A few years back Ruger reinvested mega bucks in their machinery and I personally would love to see how well they make them, not some much in "ability" but in "willingness". They can make anything and make it well, I just wish they choose to go that way.

What would you pay to get your hands on a new version for the kid or grandkid when a good original would set you back $900+ ?
    Or just get it for yourself with the expectation they will get it in time...

TheWingMaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    I saw a .350 legend listed on here for a very reasonable price (I think it was 500 or so.)
    Without doing any research and looking at the cartridge, just assumed it kicked like a mule. Am I wrong for that? Sucker looks BIG.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    It has only been around a year but it is a good deer round everywhere but Ohio, lol.

160gr at 2300ft/s should reach out a couple hundred yards.

As far as kick goes, I think that the receiving end gets the worse of it, but I am a big boy. It isn't something I would take out to "shoot up the woods" for several reasons, but it would make a good farm/ranch gun.

In other words, "it is always better to give than receive..."

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've shot the .350 Legend. IMO it doesn't do anything that a bottleneck cartridge doesn't do better, except be legal in some states the prohibit those. I shot it out of a Ruger American bolt-action. That gun was ok for what it is...cheap and utilitarian. Nothing fancy but it hit the target. Recoil wasn't bad...less than my 336 in .30-30.

Now a 39M with a 16" or 18" barrel and a straight stock would be a "shut up and take my money" gun. I'd love it if they ran around $500, but if they were similar in quality to the older ones, I could probably be induced to pay even more. I tried to stomach the painted pot metal Henry .22s, but just couldn't do it. I scored a used 39A at the LGS a few months back at a good price...it's had a rough life but is a great shooter. I still want a little carbine, though.

Reactions: Leo

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I've shot the .350 Legend. IMO it doesn't do anything that a bottleneck cartridge doesn't do better, except be legal in some states the prohibit those. I shot it out of a Ruger American bolt-action. That gun was ok for what it is...cheap and utilitarian. Nothing fancy but it hit the target. Recoil wasn't bad...less than my 336 in .30-30.

Now a 39M with a 16" or 18" barrel and a straight stock would be a "shut up and take my money" gun. I'd love it if they ran around $500, but if they were similar in quality to the older ones, I could probably be induced to pay even more. I tried to stomach the painted pot metal Henry .22s, but just couldn't do it. I scored a used 39A at the LGS a few months back at a good price...it's had a rough life but is a great shooter. I still want a little carbine, though.
    I wish you luck in your search. I finally found the carbine I have been hunting for 25 years!

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Personally I'd buy a stainless synthetic 22" barreled RA in 450 Bushmaster before I'd buy a 350L but any recoil below a 12ga 3.5" 2.0oz/2.25oz turkey load is an absolute non-factor to me.
    I'm best guessing if we are REEEEEALY lucky, a 336c in 350 legend or 450 Bushmaster would be closer to $600 than $500 and somewhere in the neighborhood of $650 is more like it
    Bare in mind a lever action rifle is a WHOLE lot more costly to manufacture than a bolt gun.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    For 5-600.00 i'd be in but anything more than that and I don't need a lever gun that bad. However with Ruger not even being able to control the costs of the Mini-14 and those approaching 1K now, i'm not sure what we'll see with the Marlins.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    What my contact said.

336 in 30/30. Basic regular carbine style
    1895 in 45-70. A guide gun and a 22-24 inch model.
    1894 in 357 and 44 mag (along with a matching single action revolver as a combo package also)

that all folks.

no model 60. No marlin bolt 22’s and no model 39a’s for now. Look for more to be introduced it these will be the staples.

He said they want to get the basic best sellers out first.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    What my contact said.

336 in 30/30. Basic regular carbine style
    1895 in 45-70. A guide gun and a 22-24 inch model.
    1894 in 357 and 44 mag (along with a matching single action revolver as a combo package also)

that all folks.

no model 60. No marlin bolt 22’s and no model 39a’s for now. Look for more to be introduced it these will be the staples.

He said they want to get the basic best sellers out first.
    Those first three are where the money's at right now. I love the Marlin .22 bolts but it wouldn't make sense to bring those out in competition with Rugers other offerings, the model 60's were made in a separate AL plant but i'm not sure if Ruger got that stuff or not?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I bought a newer Remington made 336 in .45-70gvt and I'm not at all sorry I did.
    It is a we'll made rifle that hits what I aim at, but I would probably sell it to my brother and buy the Ruger for myself.
    My brother has been wanting a .45-70 lever gun but hasn't gotten around to it yet.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A 336 in 30-30!!!........A 44 mag lever gun/SA revolver combo!!!
    Kiss your ass goodbye savings account.
    Oh my I'm kind of excited about this myself.

Are they bringing back the 1895 CB 45/70? That's the 9+1 rifle and a 26" barrel to get as much out of the 45/70 as possible. I believe it weighed less than 8lbs loaded also.

I was looking to get an anniversary edition but never seen one for sale. They were supposed to have model 60 anniversary rifles also. I think the Remington bankruptcy killed it.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau

Are they bringing back the 1895 CB 45/70? That's the 9+1 rifle and a 26" barrel to get as much out of the 45/70 as possible. I believe it weighed less than 8lbs loaded also.

I was looking to get an anniversary edition but never seen one for sale. They were supposed to have model 60 anniversary rifles also. I think the Remington bankruptcy killed it.
    I'm just gonna sit back and wait for you to find a killer deal and post it in a thread, lol.
    Come to think of it, I may have to block your posts on the " get your ammo here" thread so I can afford the new Marlin.
    Just kidding, keep posting those deals!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I'm just gonna sit back and wait for you to find a killer deal and post it in a thread, lol.
    Come to think of it, I may have to block your posts on the " get your ammo here" thread so I can afford the new Marlin.
    Just kidding, keep posting those deals!

I haven't gone in debt for a gun before but there is always a first time!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Sign me up for one of those!

Top Bottom