• ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Will this cause a kaboom?
    It can. Rechambering a round over and over can push the bullet back into the case, increasing the chamber pressure. With the Glocks this is made worse because Glock chambers leave a larger area of the case unsupported which increases the likelihood of a ruptured case causing a KB.
    m7e39z.jpg

/
    f521i9.jpg
    [/IMG]

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    the "unsupported chamber" claim only goes so far.

Other guns with supported chambers KB too. Glocks tend to do it with reloads, which is why they only recommend factory ammo.

But everyone here already knows that and we're beating dead horse.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

True. But with the brass being the weak link, that can be a contributing factor, not a cause in itself. It will still take something else in conjunction to make it happen. Which, IMO, is why the .40 cal Glocks seem to have a higher % of KB's than other Glocks. You're already starting with a higher chamber pressure so it doesn't take as much to push it over the edge. While I don't personally like Glocks, for a number of reasons, I'm not trying to turn this into a Glock bashing thread. Under the right conditions, any manufacturers gun can KB.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Other guns with supported chambers KB too. Glocks tend to do it with reloads, which is why they only recommend factory ammo.

But everyone here already knows that and we're beating dead horse.

Other guns DON'T blow up with reloads, unless the reloader screwed up. Not to mention, there is simply no validity to the claim that Glock's only blow up with reloads. They manage to do so just fine with factory ammo, also. It's happened to a board member here, ya know.

It is very rare to hear of a .45 ACP Glock blowing up, though, and an unsupported chamber wouldn't blow the barrel up. Something else happened in this case. Would love to know what.

Carbon-13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    A [similar] scenario happened to my friend at the LaSalle Gun Range in NWI. He was bump firing a Mac 10 using reloaded (gun show) ammo. The brass blew in half, leaving the bullet still crimped in place. A little bit of brass shot out of the ejector slot and into my friend's hand.

Long story short: be weary of the reloaded ammo you buy at gun shows... annnd bump firing.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Figured that would get a comment or two.

The problem I have with the Glock design is the usupported chamber design, and the fact that they sometimes will fire out of battery.

Glock never has fixes - they have "upgrades."

A Glock with a Lone Wolf barrel installed is a damned fine weapon. Just not for me.

The basic operating principle of the Glock is sound because... it's John Browning's modified tilting barrel system, simplified from the 1911's swinging link design so the P35 could be built without patent infringements. :D

So you see, once you take away the junk Gaston Glock put there, the design is sound. ;)

(Yes, I'm baiting you. Bass bite on plastic; I reckon Glockers do too! :P)

Josh <><

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    The design Glock uses is flawed.

Josh <><

You're out of line. You're supposed to use fancy pressure charts and rogue ammunition theories to explain glock kabooms. Do not mention that this happens with factory ammo. Do not mention the design requires the brass to contain the chamber pressure. Do not mention that this doesn't happen with other guns. Fall in line!:drill:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    It can. Rechambering a round over and over can push the bullet back into the case, increasing the chamber pressure. With the Glocks this is made worse because Glock chambers leave a larger area of the case unsupported which increases the likelihood of a ruptured case causing a KB.
    /
    f521i9.jpg
    [/IMG]

Being the complete n00b that I am, can someone explain what I am looking at here?:dunno:

Be gentle...lol

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Look at the area where the feed ramp is. Notice how much more of the case just ahead of the extractor groove is visible on some, the Glock in particular, than others, the XD or HK for example. That portion of the case is not supported by the chamber when the round is fired, and must contain the pressure without help from the barrel. If the pressure is too high, or the brass is weak here the case will rupture and cause a KB. This is one reason that Glocks are more susceptible to spontaneous disassembly:D. The same thing can happen if the gun fires out of battery. Which happens to be something else that Glocks seem to be good at.:D

Jar_Head

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    From my training & experience in both military and police firearms training the likely cause was a "squib" round, don't know if I spelled that right. A round that is fired and did not make it out of the barrel, the second round is fired and the back blow and explosion in the barrel causes the gun to come apart. It's a round that is loaded with bad or incorrect powder. I saw one as a cop on the range, the other cop heard it and called a stop. Range officer had to take a rod and pound the round out was kind of in there like a cork but not as tight as you'd think. He said he knew because it didn't sound right when he pulled the trigger. In all cases it's the round not the gun. I read the article and sound's like the gun had been fired in the past.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Look at the area where the feed ramp is. Notice how much more of the case just ahead of the extractor groove is visible on some, the Glock in particular, than others, the XD or HK for example. That portion of the case is not supported by the chamber when the round is fired, and must contain the pressure without help from the barrel. If the pressure is too high, or the brass is weak here the case will rupture and cause a KB. This is one reason that Glocks are more susceptible to spontaneous disassembly:D. The same thing can happen if the gun fires out of battery. Which happens to be something else that Glocks seem to be good at.:D

AHHH! I see.
    Thank you for explaining that to me!

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Figured that would get a comment or two.

The problem I have with the Glock design is the usupported chamber design, and the fact that they sometimes will fire out of battery.

Glock never has fixes - they have "upgrades."

A Glock with a Lone Wolf barrel installed is a damned fine weapon. Just not for me.

The basic operating principle of the Glock is sound because... it's John Browning's modified tilting barrel system, simplified from the 1911's swinging link design so the P35 could be built without patent infringements. :D

So you see, once you take away the junk Gaston Glock put there, the design is sound. ;)

(Yes, I'm baiting you. Bass bite on plastic; I reckon Glockers do too! :P)

Josh <><

I wasn't responding you your Glock bash, I was just responding to the umbrella statement that made you look... well... let's face it... stupid. :dunno: Your statement would be like HICKMAN stating that the 1911 or B.A.R. was a poor design and was useless in battle. Out of line, unbased, and completely foolish.

I'm actually glad you were just baiting, and not serious. I actually believe you are normal again. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom