• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have had more good than bad. Sometimes if analyzing an ad, it is apparent that the author has poor writing skills. Although there are also just plain icky people out there.
    I have had really good results dealing with INGOers. My results also include a fair amount of dealing with folks who don't post much and are not as diligent as a lot of us on tidy posting.

That said, I have a handful of INGOers that I just wouldn't deal with, due to their post content. Folks that are abrasive or not helpful or don't reflect well on INGO (in my opinion,) I just pass on.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Although I don't have as many classified transactions as many of you, I've never had a poor transaction, whether I was buying or selling. Each individual I've met on INGO has been a truly pleasant experience.

In my younger and possibly more stupid days, I even met up at a small town park at 11:00 p.m. Neither of us thought twice about it.

Although I probably won't be doing that again.... lol.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Although I don't have as many classified transactions as many of you, I've never had a poor transaction, whether I was buying or selling. Each individual I've met on INGO has been a truly pleasant experience.

In my younger and possibly more stupid days, I even met up at a small town park at 11:00 p.m. Neither of us thought twice about it.

Although I probably won't be doing that again.... lol.
    Meh. I probably would. You can get a feel for a person, and especially if I see you’re from a small town next door.
    I think us from small towns are really spoiled, still living in something resembling Mayberry. But that can be dangerous, too.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I just posted three ads for guns in the last couple of days.
    I try to be very clear about the items I'm selling and the terms I will sell them under. I don't want to waste my time or a potential buyers time by being vague. If it comes off as terse or rude that's not my intention.
    I hate when folks post "PM sent" and then PM a low ball offer. I feel that they are trying to give the impression that the item is sold (or a deal is in the works) so they can drive the price down.
    I sell items that I find no longer useful to me or to fund something else that I want more than the stuff I'm selling. I'm not a business, just a person fairly new to gun ownership navigating my way through this interesting world and meeting some interesting people.
    If you don't like the tone or wording of a classified post just move on.
    My experience with the folks I have met through the classifieds has been positive.
    Ditto this...most people are being specific in their explanation of what's in or on the firearm in the ad as it reduces the number of questions they have to answer later!
    Most of the time, it's the seller who's establishing the expectations for the sale and, in many instances, the term 'C-Y-A' plays a part in the process.
    I always ask if the buyer (or, sometimes, the seller) is willing to participate in a receipt, one that tracks to whom the firearm is being sold to or purchased from! Why? Because I've had two (2) firearms that have been used in crimes (no shootings, thankfully) and either the Indiana State Police or ATF is tracking the firearm back to the perpetrator. Each time, I have been able to provide a paper trail, through me, to the next individual (note, it was never a individual with whom I sold to or purchased from, who was the perpetrator, and the one was actually stolen from a downline buyer) and I contact the buyer / seller with a heads-up to inform them that ISP or the ATF would be contact them. No one has ever had an issue with that!
    I have a responsibility to cover my arse and will do so at every opportunity! If you don't wish to participate in a purchase or sale and participate with a receipt (each get a copy) that's perfectly fine but, also, don't be upset if I simply won't buy or sell to you!
    Fortunately, most individuals are mature enough to understand that process and have cooperated...those who are not, I did not engage with. There're reasons for what I do or how I do things...not everyone has to agree with them, as that's their perogative, but don't be upset when I tell you no either!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ditto this...most people are being specific in their explanation of what's in or on the firearm in the ad as it reduces the number of questions they have to answer later!
    Most of the time, it's the seller who's establishing the expectations for the sale and, in many instances, the term 'C-Y-A' plays a part in the process.
    I always ask if the buyer (or, sometimes, the seller) is willing to participate in a receipt, one that tracks to whom the firearm is being sold to or purchased from! Why? Because I've had two (2) firearms that have been used in crimes (no shootings, thankfully) and either the Indiana State Police or ATF is tracking the firearm back to the perpetrator. Each time, I have been able to provide a paper trail, through me, to the next individual (note, it was never a individual with whom I sold to or purchased from, who was the perpetrator, and the one was actually stolen from a downline buyer) and I contact the buyer / seller with a heads-up to inform them that ISP or the ATF would be contact them. No one has ever had an issue with that!
    I have a responsibility to cover my arse and will do so at every opportunity! If you don't wish to participate in a purchase or sale and participate with a receipt (each get a copy) that's perfectly fine but, also, don't be upset if I simply won't buy or sell to you!
    Fortunately, most individuals are mature enough to understand that process and have cooperated...those who are not, I did not engage with. There're reasons for what I do or how I do things...not everyone has to agree with them, as that's their perogative, but don't be upset when I tell you no either!

Thank you for posting your bill of sale requirement in your for sale add! Certainly not something I'd like sprung on me when meeting you for the trade.

I never say never, because you might have a fantastic deal on a hard to find item. I am very likely to pass on extra unnecessary paperwork otherwise.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Thank you for posting your bill of sale requirement in your for sale add! Certainly not something I'd like sprung on me when meeting you for the trade.

I never say never, because you might have a fantastic deal on a hard to find item. I am very likely to pass on extra unnecessary paperwork otherwise.
    Do you think most are willing to go through an FFL for IL to IN transfer? That is definitely a paper trail and record. Asking for a friend:)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do you think most are willing to go through an FFL for IL to IN transfer? That is definitely a paper trail and record. Asking for a friend:)
    I'm not opposed to anything to purchase, including going to an FFL for transfer or buying directly from any local gun shop.

I choose though, to handle most all private sales and trades without extra paperwork. No paperwork of any sort is required for a legal private sale in Indiana. The only legal requirement is to not knowingly sell to a felon, not proper person, or non-Indiana resident.

Personally, I'm not likely to deal with an out-of-stater at all. Same as with the bill of sale though, never say never. A fantastic deal might be worth all of the hassle and paper trail.

It's nothing personal. I'll just on pass on adds that aren't what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for unnecessary paperwork on a private sale.

THANK YOU for making clear what your paperwork requirements will be in your add. I would not be happy to drive to meet you for a trade to find you then require a bill of sale or FFL transfer, that had not been mentioned ahead of time.

Part of the reason I trade exclusively with INGOers is that we can have these conversations. Before trading with you, I can review your post history and iTrader ratings. And you can mine...

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

Respectfully posting expectations up front goes a long way towards a smooth transaction and I believe the buyer should be fully informed up front so as to be able to make a fully-informed decision about his or her choices! After all, fair is fair!

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Out of stater...I always go through an FFL, even when it's a friend, and they understand!
    I've had buyers who don't possess an Indiana Carry License and then I recommend going through an FFL as a CYA move...and they have done that too!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No. Nope. NADA no way.

I will not answer and ad that wants any paper work at all. If you do not know me from this forum you are not an active member anyway.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Out of stater...I always go through an FFL, even when it's a friend, and they understand!
    I've had buyers who don't possess an Indiana Carry License and then I recommend going through an FFL as a CYA move...and they have done that too!
    This is what I thought was right according to the forum rules and even State rules. Yes, even for IN carry, good idea. When I've used FFL for transfer, think it was only about $15. Just wanted to get a feel from board members as I recently notices a WTT that I had interest in.

No. Nope. NADA no way.

I will not answer and ad that wants any paper work at all. If you do not know me from this forum you are not an active member anyway.
    You wouldn't do a trade through a FFL, for any reason? What is wrong with the use of paperwork? Acquiring a new firearm and concealed permits have identifying paperwork already. I don't understand exactly.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    When I was selling a pistol a year or two ago, I had a guy from Michigan want to buy it. When I told him that would be illegal, he offered to pay extra... I passed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is what I thought was right according to the forum rules and even State rules. Yes, even for IN carry, good idea. When I've used FFL for transfer, think it was only about $15. Just wanted to get a feel from board members as I recently notices a WTT that I had interest in.

You wouldn't do a trade through a FFL, for any reason? What is wrong with the use of paperwork? Acquiring a new firearm and concealed permits have identifying paperwork already. I don't understand exactly.
    If I want to do a 4473 I will buy the gun from the FFL 1st hand. And I dont have to show my permit for that either, I am not sharing personal info with a person I may have just met and it can go on. The state of Indiana does not require it so I will not lay down any more paper than required. No paper is just fine with me.
    I dont care if anyone does or does not understand. No knock as we all have our ways we do business.

Top Bottom