• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    If I want to do a 4473 I will buy the gun from the FFL 1st hand. And I dont have to show my permit for that either, I am not sharing personal info with a person I may have just met and it can go on. The state of Indiana does not require it so I will not lay down any more paper than required. No paper is just fine with me.
    I dont care if anyone does or does not understand. No knock as we all have our ways we do business.
    IF YOU’RE NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG YOU DON’T HAVE ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I always use PM's to settle the details and meetup. They always end with price agreed to on final inspection. Never had an issue with INGO members who have been very reasonable.

Don

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    If I want to do a 4473 I will buy the gun from the FFL 1st hand. And I dont have to show my permit for that either, I am not sharing personal info with a person I may have just met and it can go on. The state of Indiana does not require it so I will not lay down any more paper than required. No paper is just fine with me.
    I dont care if anyone does or does not understand. No knock as we all have our ways we do business.
    I concur, we each have our own way of wanting to do business.
    The best part is, to each their own...and I, for one, am perfectly fine with that!
    (statement intended openly and for everyone with no specific individual or choice singled-out!)
    I have my way and other individuals have their way...and both are perfectly acceptable!
    My experience is that if something can reach out and snag me, it will. So I take precautions and CYA!
    I can and do respect another individuals way of wanting to do things...all I ask is that others respect mine in return!
    As long as others understand that I have my reasons for doing things in the way I believe is being responsible with a firearm, and that because of that we may never be able to trade, buy, or sell a firearm between myself and whomever, with everything else, we'll still get along just fine!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I always use PM's to settle the details and meetup. They always end with price agreed to on final inspection. Never had an issue with INGO members who have been very reasonable.
    Don
    I agree...PM's to work out details and price based on final inspection!
    Question: Do you ever meet at your residence or do you always pick a neutral site on which to meet for a transaction?
    I have always chosen a neutral site to perform a transaction...and have never met on my or another's personal property.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I feel very fortunate that all the men I've dealt with recently have been courteous, understanding, good guys who'll talk shop and we can both enjoy the hobby together for a moment. Sometimes a deal falls through, still had great experiences. Admittedly, I don't make a habit of reaching out and low-balling people, or replying to ads where I'd clearly not be willing to pay what they're asking.

This forum is largely populated by good guys and gals. I've only had two guys show up with items that were horribly misrepresented - they're the minority, and one of them changed the price on the spot to account for the missing ammo.

Shortages and scarcity don't make for the most agreeable of marketplaces. But I think most have now been around long enough to see that every few years there is an event that induces crazy demand. Obama's election, Sandy Hook, COVID...that's just the last 13 years.

Let's buy cheap and stock deep!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This is what I thought was right according to the forum rules and even State rules. Yes, even for IN carry, good idea. When I've used FFL for transfer, think it was only about $15. Just wanted to get a feel from board members as I recently notices a WTT that I had interest in.

You wouldn't do a trade through a FFL, for any reason? What is wrong with the use of paperwork? Acquiring a new firearm and concealed permits have identifying paperwork already. I don't understand exactly.
    If the federal government sent you a 'request' to list every firearm you own, would you comply?

If not, why would you do the same thing, just one at a time

It is a pushback against an infringement abetted by individuals who think they're CYAing but are really just hanging themselves and others out in the breeze. If you don't trust people enough to sell or trade just seeing an LTCH then you should not sell or trade to them at all

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    What about if said firearm is from a C&R holder?

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    I've sold from Indiana into Illinois, and I did it through an FFL dealer.
    It's federal law.
    I'd imagine what motivated the buyer was a good price.
    Personally, would I buy one from Illinois into Indiana through an FFL?
    If I wanted the gun badly enough and the price was right, yep. Why not? ATFE already has my info on god knows how many 4473s anyway. What's one more at this point?
    Within in Indiana ... what's the point? No legal requirement.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    If the federal government sent you a 'request' to list every firearm you own, would you comply?

If not, why would you do the same thing, just one at a time

It is a pushback against an infringement abetted by individuals who think they're CYAing but are really just hanging themselves and others out in the breeze. If you don't trust people enough to sell or trade just seeing an LTCH then you should not sell or trade to them at all
    I kind of see your point but across state lines it has to go FFL.

So if you sell someone a firearm on GunBroker, and it's shipped FFL to FFL, then you're saying that's less infringement than individual to individual transfer at a FFL? Or just the fact that FTF doesn't require paperwork and sellers prefer that?. Trying to learn here, seems like a warm topic.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've sold from Indiana into Illinois, and I did it through an FFL dealer.
    It's federal law.
    I'd imagine what motivated the buyer was a good price.
    Personally, would I buy one from Illinois into Indiana through an FFL?
    If I wanted the gun badly enough and the price was right, yep. Why not? ATFE already has my info on god knows how many 4473s anyway. What's one more at this point?
    Within in Indiana ... what's the point? No legal requirement.
    The difference is, buying or selling out of state is against the law.
    Whereas, private sales to in state Indiana residents are legal without a 4473, as long as you have no reason to believe the person is a person prohibited from owning firearms, AND the seller has NOT shown a pattern of buying and selling firearms for profit in a way that resembles dealing in firearms without an FFL.

For example, somebody who buys a lot of firearms and quickly resells them for a profit, could have the ATF people showing up at their door.

THAT SAID, I wouldn't fill out a 4473 with an FFL to buy or sell a firearm on INGO with an Indiana resident and proper person. YMMV
    Others are free to demand a 4473 for this, and I will just move on and deal with somebody else.

The ONLY exception to this I've ever made is with a good guy here on INGO who has a C&R FFL, and when he bought a C&R firearm from me as I sell off my collection, he gave me a copy of his C&R FFL, and he logged the acquisition in his logbook, which by law he has to.

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

So if you sell someone a firearm on GunBroker, and it's shipped FFL to FFL, then you're saying that's less infringement than individual to individual transfer at a FFL? Or just the fact that FTF doesn't require paperwork and sellers prefer that?. Trying to learn here, seems like a warm topic.
    Not to speak for Bug, but my take on what he is saying is not that it is less or more infringement either way, it is "why?". Why should we submit ourselves to something that is not required of us? Why should we voluntarily give out info when we don't have to, on anything, not just talking about gun transfers here.

Read Edward Snowden's "Permanent Record" and get back with me about how innocent and innocuous our gov't is.

ETA: not arguing here about proper transfer across state lines requires FFL.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Not to speak for Bug, but my take on what he is saying is not that it is less or more infringement either way, it is "why?". Why should we submit ourselves to something that is not required of us? Why should we voluntarily give out info when we don't have to, on anything, not just talking about gun transfers here.

Read Edward Snowden's "Permanent Record" and get back with me about how innocent and innocuous our gov't is.

ETA: not arguing here about proper transfer across state lines requires FFL.
    Oh ok. Yes, not needed with IN FTF and people value their freedoms. I know IN considered it, but I'm seeing a few more states with constitutional carry and nullification laws.

I understand, seen plenty of Edwards videos plus much more. Have a peek at my previous content, it's why I like this forum. I like to stay informed in a balanced way, with a good hard look at the rabbit hole, without getting down into it too much. :naughty:

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    The difference is, buying or selling out of state is against the law.
    Whereas, private sales to in state Indiana residents are legal without a 4473, as long as you have no reason to believe the person is a person prohibited from owning firearms, AND the seller has NOT shown a pattern of buying and selling firearms for profit in a way that resembles dealing in firearms without an FFL.

For example, somebody who buys a lot of firearms and quickly resells them for a profit, could have the ATF people showing up at their door.

THAT SAID, I wouldn't fill out a 4473 with an FFL to buy or sell a firearm on INGO with an Indiana resident and proper person. YMMV
    Others are free to demand a 4473 for this, and I will just move on and deal with somebody else.

The ONLY exception to this I've ever made is with a good guy here on INGO who has a C&R FFL, and when he bought a C&R firearm from me as I sell off my collection, he gave me a copy of his C&R FFL, and he logged the acquisition in his logbook, which by law he has to.
    Right. That's why I met the dude at an Illinois gun store, got my receipt from that FFL holder and went on my way. Just as soon not have federales in my life.
    Re in-state ... if I wanted a given gun bad enough and some guy insisted on it, I suppose I'd meet him at FFL holder's shop ... though I see no point in it.
    I grew up in Illinois and spent about 40 years there. I've done a bunch of gun-club deals where we had to go the photocopier, run off our FOIDs, do a BoS, etc. Now they've got that ISP site for private sales, too. Geez.
    My attitudes went Hoosier-like not long after I moved here. Spoke in favor of an in-state BoS here once and got thoroughly drubbed.
    Now I'm like, "Show me an Indiana driver's license and answer in the affirmative to the 'Can you legally posses' question, and let's get the deal done.
    I've had no problems on INGO classified and met some nice folks. I'm good.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Prior posting led me to believe we were not talking about across state lines, where you are correct an FFL is needed
    FTF requires no paperwork as long as you both live in that state. Many buyers, traders or sellers, myself included, prefer to have a full accounting of what they own known only to themselves due to a lack of trust in the government's good will toward gun ownership

What you posted made it seem like you were wanting to use an FFL for a trade (which would need to be within your home state) and no one is going to want to do that. I only want the government involved in my business when I have no other choice

Top Bottom