• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    You don't "need" to. But the 2nd amendment protects the right to choose. I'm not trying to say the 1st amendment is wrong in protecting it, as you seem to think I am. I'm merely trying to ask what they were trying to accomplish?
    Carrying a pistol accomplishes self protection and allows me to feel safe.

We live in a society that values freedom. Tell someone they are not allowed to do something that the law tells them they are allowed to do and sooner or later they will do it to make a point. In a free society, groups should not force others to live by their values. If we really believe in freedom, we should be willing to stand behind any group exercising that freedom even if we don't agree with their views. When growing up, my father used to say that he may not agree with what someone said, but would give his life to defend their right to say it.

I know that it runs against what a lot of folks that I consider friends think, but I think we do need to make a stand in that the First Ammendmant gives us the right to express ourselves, even if that expression offends others. We take a firm stand on the Second Ammendmant that does not give ground to pacify those that are against it. We know that giving a little each time they ask is only going to end with giving it all. The First Ammendmant is no different. If we concede points to pacify extremists of any religion, we end up in a society that makes the public display of religous relics banned as being politically incorrect.

I welcome any and all religions in the US, but those that practice them have to understand that they are living in a country that embraces all and cannot expect to have others bend over backwards to keep from offending their values. In fact, demanding a curtailment of freedoms is a sure way to see that freedom exressed to a much higher degree as Obama keeps finding out with every attempt to limit firearm ownership.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As long as we're discussing the First Amendment here, consider this. Not a sarcastic question.

Is it legal to shout "Allahu Akbar" in a crowded theater?

Why/Why not?

I've thought about this some more, and I think I came up with the main issue.

If someone was just in a theater yelling, I wouldn't draw on them. They could be yelling "I'm gonna kill somebody" or even "I'm gonna kill you and you and you." But, if they make no movement toward anyone and have no obvious weapon to accomplish it - they are just yelling - then I'm going to look for the closest exit for my family, but I'm not going to even show my EDC.

Now, I'll go from Condition Butterscotch to Orange, of course.

In my mind, there's 2 factors that would change for me to draw: if he has any weapon - knife/hammer/LAW - or if he starts charging at people. But, it would take some other signal that the guy was a real threat for me to act.

Change the words to "Allahu Akhbar" or "Catholics must die" or "I'm yelling gibberish right now" and I still need one of the other conditions satisfied.

Even if it was a group of people, I'd need more than the words.

Part of the reason would be that it would be too easy, once I draw, for the other guy to say that I provoked violence by drawing a firearm. Until then, it as just speech.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I almost pasted this into the facepalm thread.
    Pam Geller: No Contact from FBI, Homeland Security Since Terror Attack | The Weekly Standard

1st Amendment poster child and professional antagonist Pam Geller wants a federal personal security detail.
    Hannity followed up, "Homeland Security hasn't gotten ahold of you, the FBI hasn't gotten ahold of you?"
    "No, and this is interesting because this is a terrorist threat. And the FBI, President Obama should provide security. There's no question about it. Because he created an environment that raised the stakes on this," Geller said.

Wait. What?

She does this thing to intentionally instigate, then when SHTF as a direct result, she wants .fed to step in.

This has been a strange week for conservativism. At least in my head, it has.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I almost pasted this into the facepalm thread.
    Pam Geller: No Contact from FBI, Homeland Security Since Terror Attack | The Weekly Standard

1st Amendment poster child and professional antagonist Pam Geller wants a federal personal security detail.

Wait. What?

She does this thing to intentionally instigate, then when SHTF as a direct result, she wants .fed to step in.

This has been a strange week for conservativism. At least in my head, it has.

Looks to me like she is (successfully) playing the irony angle to continue to promote her agenda? Whether she actually believes it will happen or not may not be so relevant.

I personally think it's about time we had more of those who will stand up and make some noise rather than backing down, trying to appease the libs. The libs are so much more successful at influencing opinion because they dictate the narrative and we end up only answering to them, often poorly. :twocents:

Interesting. The Garland PD needs to pay attention to their Twitter account apparently. They were apparently warned 2 days before the attack by a member of Anonymous and they didn't pay attention to it.

Anonymous hacktivist warned Texas police days before Mohammed cartoon contest shooting

:dunno: Uh, looks to me like they used all the info they had to successfully thwart a homeland ISIS terrorist attack?

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    The tweet:

isis.png

Even if they had seen it, not exactly earth-shattering. Seems they were already well aware of this possibility. The AnsarAlUmmah49 account that this points to was deleted, but the articles do not note if it was deleted before (as a result of Anonymous's attention?) or after the attack.

From the woman who sent the tweet:
    The Anonymous tipster, who is not American but declined to give her home country, insisted that she merely shared information and deserved little credit for stopping the two gunmen. “The real heroes are the police and the security guy who has been injured,” she said. “And the people who dare draw Mohammad.”
    Bingo.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Check out this hack-tastic AP headline:

"Pamela Geller says she has no regrets about Prophet Muhammad cartoon contest that ended in 2 deaths"

http://twitchy.com/2015/05/07/ap-se...ot-being-murdered-by-terrorists-contest-time/

Pathetic. Here are some alternate AP headlines people are posting:

New York Expected To Apologize to Al Qaeda For the Provocation of Tall Buildings

SEAL Team 6 says it has no regrets for midnight raid on family compound in Pakistan that ended in several deaths

Owner refuses to apologize for opening small business in struggling city, leaving arsonists with perfect kindling

Avengers 'have no regrets' after saving world--again.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

"Pamela Geller says she has no regrets about Prophet Muhammad cartoon contest that ended in 2 deaths"

AP seems surprised Pamela Geller has no regrets over not being murdered by terrorists; Contest time | Twitchy

New York Expected To Apologize to Al Qaeda For the Provocation of Tall Buildings

SEAL Team 6 says it has no regrets for midnight raid on family compound in Pakistan that ended in several deaths

Owner refuses to apologize for opening small business in struggling city, leaving arsonists with perfect kindling

Aw c'mon man. I haven't seen Avengers yet and yer throwing up spoilers.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

AP seems surprised Pamela Geller has no regrets over not being murdered by terrorists; Contest time | Twitchy

Apologists gotta apologize.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Is there any evidence that they did anything illegal before opening fire? Were these guys on a watch list? We all would have liked to have avoided any innocent being wounded, but in the end, I don't know how you get a much better result.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This
    Bearing ArmsHE PUSHED FORWARD: Brave Garland Police Officer Advanced As He Brought Down Garland Terrorists - Bearing Arms

Has an interesting breakdown of the crime scene photos. (Warning, some gore, but nothing more than PG-13 IMHO.)

I'm not sure I'm completely onboard with some of the conclusions, but it does seem to be pretty thorough.

One thing I can already tell that I somewhat disagree with - the officer didn't walk toward the cones. He circled to the left along the curb, toward the rear of the tango car. The Glock ejecting the right and the cases skittering a bit on the concrete mean to me that he (appropriately) was more circling the car, sorta slicing the angle. But that's a minor thing - and I could be wrong.

ETA: They also pretty clearly conclude that the baddies had a KelTec Sub 2000 and an AK-74 (or copy). Man, I liked the KelTec.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom