• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I enjoy listening to the police scanner and have noticed something of late. Dispatch will respond with something that sounds like "John Doe, 1000 any street, your town, 10-32 permit" (gun permit). At first it did not bother me at all, as a matter of fact, I think it is probably good info for the officer to know. I then begin to think however, what about the presumption of innocence? Is this profiling? If similar info was given for someone of a minority religion or race, they would be squealing like scalded cats.

No doubt the police have more friends w/permits than probably any other group of citizens. I certainly don't want any of them to be harmed but, there should be the same info available about others. When I hear dispatch report " Drug dealing Pimp from the wrong part of indy that thinks he is bad ass" I will be happy. That info would be of real value!!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Most of the officers I know are more likely to take that to mean there will be non criminals at the scene as they are to worry about encountering an armed citizen.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    The only issue I have with that is it lets the public who has scanners know you have a LTCH. Some people like to keep that fact private in which I fully understand and respect. In fact, I would be a little upset if my name and the fact that I have a LTCH was broadcasted like that.

However, it is not profiling, it is just informing the officer that a gun is likely to be present.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    The only issue I have with that is it lets the public who has scanners know you have a LTCH. Some people like to keep that fact private in which I fully understand and respect. In fact, I would be a little upset if my name and the fact that I have a LTCH was broadcasted like that.

However, it is not profiling, it is just informing the officer that a gun is likely to be present.

I'm close to the Ohio line and hear the officers over there calling out SSN's for people pulled over all the time. I haven't heard it much from anyone on the Indiana side. It's bad enough for the LTCH to be broadcast but the SSN as well? Total BS.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I'm close to the Ohio line and hear the officers over there calling out SSN's for people pulled over all the time. I haven't heard it much from anyone on the Indiana side. It's bad enough for the LTCH to be broadcast but the SSN as well? Total BS.

Hmm, I listen to my local scanner all the time. In fact, I actually broadcast my scanner for the public. I have never heard a SSN go over the air. That is really bad if they do that.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI

Sure it's not a license number rather than a SSN? I can't see the SSN being that much value in regards to apprehending violators.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Sure it's not a license number rather than a SSN? I can't see the SSN being that much value in regards to apprehending violators.

Hmm, I listen to my local scanner all the time. In fact, I actually broadcast my scanner for the public. I have never heard a SSN go over the air. That is really bad if they do that.

I am positive it is the SSN. They have even stated so. This is from Darke County Ohio just North of I70. They use it to verify identity quite a bit.

Darke Co Sheriff 155.655 for those that may be close.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I am positive it is the SSN. They have even stated so. This is from Darke County Ohio just North of I70. They use it to verify identity quite a bit.

You sure they are not saying "DLN"? Not saying you are necessarily wrong but I just can't imagine them doing that. It would not help anything really and the police know citizens are listening. Generally if they do need to communicate sensitive info they usually do so over the phone.

If you are correct then the public needs to file a complaint with the sheriff/police chief to get that practice stopped.

My guess is though it is DLN instead of SSN.

DLN: XXXX-XX-XXXX
    SSN: XXX-XX-XXXX

You can see they are formatted almost exactly the same.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

You sure they are not saying "DLN"? Not saying you are necessarily wrong but I just can't imagine them doing that. It would not help anything really and the police know citizens are listening. Generally if they do need to communicate sensitive info they usually do so over the phone.

If you are correct then the public needs to file a complaint with the sheriff/police chief to get that practice stopped.

My guess is though it is DLN instead of SSN.

DLN: XXXX-XX-XXXX
    SSN: XXX-XX-XXXX

You can see they are formatted almost exactly the same.
    SSN's sometimes come over the radio. It is not typical in running a person, we almost always run a person by name and DOB. However, with a "sound a like" warrant hit, we will compare SSN to the hit to verify. Again that is not often but it does happen. Hey, I'm all for going fully encrypted to safeguard info ;)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I enjoy listening to the police scanner and have noticed something of late. Dispatch will respond with something that sounds like "John Doe, 1000 any street, your town, 10-32 permit" (gun permit). At first it did not bother me at all, as a matter of fact, I think it is probably good info for the officer to know. I then begin to think however, what about the presumption of innocence? Is this profiling? If similar info was given for someone of a minority religion or race, they would be squealing like scalded cats.

No doubt the police have more friends w/permits than probably any other group of citizens. I certainly don't want any of them to be harmed but, there should be the same info available about others. When I hear dispatch report " Drug dealing Pimp from the wrong part of indy that thinks he is bad ass" I will be happy. That info would be of real value!!
    I PRESUME that everyone is armed, a LTCH allows me to presume that you are not likely a threat....

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi

Where are they going to get the SSN from? Just like an IN DL, the Ohio DN have a state-issued ID number that is not the license holder's SSN. I suppose if the person in contact with LE hands over their SS card then the officer could do whatever they want with it.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I have friends that are dispatchers. Most of them don't give out LTCH info unless it is requested by the officers. However, one of the part-time dispatchers is a full-time police officer. She always mentions if a person has an LTCH. One of my friends asked her once why she does that. She said it was for "officer safety". She is one of the cops you don't want to hand your DL and your LTCH to if you get pulled over.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    SSN's sometimes come over the radio. It is not typical in running a person, we almost always run a person by name and DOB. However, with a "sound a like" warrant hit, we will compare SSN to the hit to verify. Again that is not often but it does happen. Hey, I'm all for going fully encrypted to safeguard info ;)

I am very against police agencies going fully encrypted. They all have means to transmit sensitive info when needed. I believe the public should have a right to listen and monitor police communication just like we have a right to access their records. It adds a bit of accountability. Also, fact is the public is their real boss.

I have friends that are dispatchers. Most of them don't give out LTCH info unless it is requested by the officers. However, one of the part-time dispatchers is a full-time police officer. She always mentions if a person has an LTCH. One of my friends asked her once why she does that. She said it was for "officer safety". She is one of the cops you don't want to hand your DL and your LTCH to if you get pulled over.

I have no issues with officers knowing before they approach me that I have a LTCH. However, I don't want that fact broadcasted to the public. If an officer already knows you can legally possess a handgun they are less likely to be alarmed if they notice you indeed have one.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Where are they going to get the SSN from? Just like an IN DL, the Ohio DN have a state-issued ID number that is not the license holder's SSN. I suppose if the person in contact with LE hands over their SS card then the officer could do whatever they want with it.
    Warrants usually have them.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It's NO ONES business knowing I carry. If I have to get out of the car and they see my gun then I will show my ltch.
    id like a law passed that takes the ltch info out of the police database and or makes it illegal for them to call it over the radio

Top Bottom