• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Glad too see someone who recognizes how good snakes are to have around.
    I was taught by an old farmer, many years ago, how beneficial having these types of snakes around a feed barn really was. I've been fascinated by them ever since.
    I understand but don't agree with the (A snake.......kill it!) mentality, but with a little education, we can all do better. Look a few posts upstream, pics of young uns holding a Garter snake, educated that it's not a threat, appreciating what it does and then releasing it. This is what we need more of.
    I have picked up, held and released several non-venomous snakes, most very docile, some a little aggressive. The thing to remember, they just wanna be left alone and may even improve the quality of your environment.

Last edited:

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    The thing to remember, they just wanna be left alone and may even improve the quality of your environment.
    See, that’s the thing, I’m not a “hey, let’s catch a snake” person, I’m more of a “you leave me alone I leave you alone” kind of snake person. If people don’t like them, why not just stay away from them???

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Seen this fella slide outta our wooded area, cross a gravel drive and make his way into our neighbor's cow pasture.
    The cows had been rotated out a few days prior and we watched him go from one cow patty to the other in search of his next meal.
    His marking were very light (molting?) but I believe it's a King Snake and a welcomed addition to our new homestead.
    View attachment 209350
    I can't see any banding in the pic. King snakes have pretty noticeable banding. It could be a rat snake or a racer also.

If my kids see a snake, they want to catch it and check it out.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I can't see any banding in the pic. King snakes have pretty noticeable banding. It could be a rat snake or a racer also.

If my kids see a snake, they want to catch it and check it out.
    Yup, really crappy camera on my phone. I could see some banding, but very dull and muted. That's why I was wondering if he was in the early stages of shedding. He was very calm like Rat snake, I find Kings to be more stand offish and more prone to strike when picked up.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yup, really crappy camera on my phone. I could see some banding, but very dull and muted. That's why I was wondering if he was in the early stages of shedding. He was very calm like Rat snake, I find Kings to be more stand offish and more prone to strike when picked up.

OK, I'll just be blunt.

You are gonna have to step it up and get a better phone camera for us. :)

Love the snek pic.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    All they do for me is turn brown and die, even though they used to grow wild 20 feet from where I planted mine
    Huh. My “green thumb” has become not-so-green the last few years. I’m lucky to bat .500 at getting stuff to live compared to what i used to be able to do. But those purple cone flowers really like my soil, I guess…it’s certainly not anything I’m doing to make them thrive.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Huh. My “green thumb” has become not-so-green the last few years. I’m lucky to bat .500 at getting stuff to live compared to what i used to be able to do. But those purple cone flowers really like my soil, I guess…it’s certainly not anything I’m doing to make them thrive.
    I don’t know, I’ve tried seeds, I’ve bought them, I’ve transplanted, they all die, and I can generally plant things and get them to live.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don’t know, I’ve tried seeds, I’ve bought them, I’ve transplanted, they all die, and I can generally plant things and get them to live.
    Must be a soil thing, I’m thinking. All of mine started from one or two container plants I bought (probably) from Lowes a few years ago. All the rest are volunteers from the seeds they drop.

I’ve got the same luck with wild daylillies. I had a ditch that had a bunch of them growing along it that washed out. The daylillies started growing downstream from where they were on that ditch bank.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Must be a soil thing, I’m thinking. All of mine started from one or two container plants I bought (probably) from Lowes a few years ago. All the rest are volunteers from the seeds they drop.

I’ve got the same luck with wild daylillies. I had a ditch that had a bunch of them growing along it that washed out. The daylillies started growing downstream from where they were on that ditch bank.
    My dad gave me a start of a few black eyed Susan’s, they grow like crazy and would take over if I didn’t keep them mowed back. I don’t know, I might try planting some again?

Top Bottom