• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    After looking at the above map I notice there's a small area in northern Indiana that seems less affected than the rest of the region. Could this have any thing to do with this being Pete Booty Judges old stomping ground or am I off? Funny how Chitown isn't at risk as well.
    Maybe the nuke plants at the western end of Lake Erie and Chicago ?

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    They are just trying to make us want solar and wind power. Midwest conservatives typically resist or at least question change - particularly when it comes from our fine and all providing government. Nothing like turning the lights off to get peoples attention.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Yes, as a stable energy customer that hasn’t had an outage longer than 3 hours in the 19 years in this house, I’m behind the curve. And financially it wasn’t in the cards.

Luckily I’m the past 8 months that has changed a bit. So I’m playing catch up.
    we were the opposite. The IPL lines running down the main road were od and patched and every time it got windy (so, every day) we'd have snapped lines and outages. When it happens in the middle of winter, you're snowed in, it's -10 outside and your house is total electric, you start thinking about alternatives quickly.

The year after we got the genny, they came through and replaced the lines. We haven't had an outage for a loooooong time. But if we do... I'm prepared.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    They are just trying to make us want solar and wind power. Midwest conservatives typically resist or at least question change - particularly when it comes from our fine and all providing government. Nothing like turning the lights off to get peoples attention.
    I've been begging for a small wind generator at our place for years. They only want to sell me solar.

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    Been pushing me for solar too. Hate to give up so much space. They are surveying us for a county wide wind farm. I expect it will happen, eventually. I wouldnt mind a small one for my own use.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    After looking at the above map I notice there's a small area in northern Indiana that seems less affected than the rest of the region. Could this have any thing to do with this being Pete Booty Judges old stomping ground or am I off? Funny how Chitown isn't at risk as well.
    Part of a different transmission org
    1653058353012.png

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I had 2 PTO generators at the farm. When I retired and moved I bought a compact diesel tractor to keep here and had a transfer switch installed. Sold 1 generator and kept the remaining 1 here. Ran entire house including furnace or A/C, shop, etc. Worked well usually except if tractor was at farm, middle of the night, etc. Didn't work at all if we were gone. And question was always should I get everything out, hooked up, and running. Or wait to see if it will be off long enough to make it worth while. If had it running at night I would stay awake to monitor. Finally got tired of all that and put in the Generac. Winter, summer, anytime electric is off iy works great with no work involved. Correct choice for me, no regrets. YMMV

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Chicago can grid over to the Byron and Braidwood nuclear facilites.

I am baffled that area supplied by the Nukes operated by Wisconsin electric are even on the list. Last I was in the area, two of the plants were maintaining capacity with only one unit running. They had switching installed on residential electric water heaters to shut them off when nearing peak load to avoid the expense of putting the 2nd plant on line. Inconvenience, maybe, but certainly less than losing a freezer full of meat.

Top Bottom