• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    So I was recently told by an executive in nukes that our government is paying huge profits to companies that buy nukes and decommission them. They have created a perverse incentive to cut power not create it…
    That can't be true

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I had 2 PTO generators at the farm. When I retired and moved I bought a compact diesel tractor to keep here and had a transfer switch installed. Sold 1 generator and kept the remaining 1 here. Ran entire house including furnace or A/C, shop, etc. Worked well usually except if tractor was at farm, middle of the night, etc. Didn't work at all if we were gone. And question was always should I get everything out, hooked up, and running. Or wait to see if it will be off long enough to make it worth while. If had it running at night I would stay awake to monitor. Finally got tired of all that and put in the Generac. Winter, summer, anytime electric is off iy works great with no work involved. Correct choice for me, no regrets. YMMV
    We decided to make the investment last year and went with an 18kw natural gas whole house Generac and so far no regrets either.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    We decided to make the investment last year and went with an 18kw natural gas whole house Generac and so far no regrets either.
    I need to look into these for this house, since we have natural gas.

If you dint mind me asking, who did you purchase through/install?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I need to look into these for this house, since we have natural gas.

If you dint mind me asking, who did you purchase through/install?
    We purchased it through a local heating and air dealer up here in NWI. Cliff's heating and air. They installed it as well. My neighbor had one installed by them a couple of years ago so we went with them as well.

It was a bit of investment but I don't see it as any different than any other investment. All told it came to about $9500. That includes the unit plus taxes, a transfer switch, electrical wiring, NG gas piping ,Town permit, labor and a 2 yr maintence contract where they take care of everything.

It's self sufficient year round and runs automatically during an outage whether we're home or not.. Well worth the peace of mind and not having to deal with a pump gas portable generator and everything that it entails anymore that barely ran half of the stuff we can now.

So I don't regret the investment.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    We purchased it through a local heating and air dealer up here in NWI. Cliff's heating and air. They installed it as well. My neighbor had one installed by them a couple of years ago so we went with them as well.

It was a bit of investment but I don't see it as any different than any other investment. All told it came to about $9500. That includes the unit plus taxes, a transfer switch, electrical wiring, NG gas piping ,Town permit, labor and a 2 yr maintence contract where they take care of everything.

It's self sufficient year round. Well worth the peace of mind and not having to deal will a pump gas generator anymore that would'nt even run half of the stuff we can now.

Thanks for the great info. I'm in Central IN, or I'd be checking out Cliff's.

My biggest barrier to entry on one of these is finding someone I'd trust to install, maintain and warranty it.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Thanks for the great info. I'm in Central IN, or I'd be checking out Cliff's.

My biggest barrier to entry on one of these is finding someone I'd trust to install, maintain and warranty it.
    That's understandable. We were lucky and have a neighbor that dealt with them two years prior and she has'nt had any problems.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

It's self sufficient year round and runs automatically during an outage whether we're home or not.. Well worth the peace of mind and not having to deal with a pump gas portable generator and everything that entails anymore that would'nt even run half of the stuff we can now.

Tune ups are pretty easy on them.

Reactions: KG1
    Top Bottom