• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Should he be proposing new taxes instead? I thought there was a constitutional cap on personal property taxes of 1% now? Is this going to circumvent that?

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    This is why the only people who should shoulder the tax burden of keeping schools open and teachers employed are people who have children. And the more children you have, the more you need to shoulder the tax burden of keeping schools open and teachers employed. Cities already employ to many people. The shift needs to go back to the private sector for most things.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Here's a link to Chrysler's plant on 31 in Kokomo.
    Beacon - Howard County, IN
    This is just 1 property and over the last few years, they've paid $1.4 - 1.8 million in property tax per year and I don't think that even includes equipment. Businesses paying taxes on equipment would be akin to homeowners paying taxes on their furniture, appliances, etc.

Do you think Chrysler pays that property tax or is it just figured into the cost of the product and being passed onto the consumer? It's a big evil business. Let's soak them some more.

Some folks are born silver spoon in hand,
    Lord, don't they help themselves, oh.
    But when the taxman comes to the door,
    Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yes,

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    This is why the only people who should shoulder the tax burden of keeping schools open and teachers employed are people who have children. And the more children you have, the more you need to shoulder the tax burden of keeping schools open and teachers employed. Cities already employ to many people. The shift needs to go back to the private sector for most things.

It seems to me that the people who have the most children are the same ones who live off the Government and are the biggest tax burden to everyone.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    How is this going to destroy Indiana?

I have yet to be convinced that the only savings/cuts local governments have at their disposal to stay within budget are the police, libraries, and essential services. All governments these days have room to trim.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne

Yes, because you certainly don't benefit from the public education system unless you have kids.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    I understand the "idea" behind it, but not at the expense of my property taxes. And as phylodog stated, I was under the belief that the rates were capped at 1%.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I understand the "idea" behind it, but not at the expense of my property taxes. And as phylodog stated, I was under the belief that the rates were capped at 1%.

I'm currently paying about .3% of my assessed value. But I don't live in one of those modern metropolises either.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    OP, you have no idea what in the world you are talking about. Also, you probably have failed to realize that many municipalities offer numerous tax abatements to businesses on their equipment to help attract and retain that business in the community. Typically the lost tax revenue on that equipment is more than made up for the increases in income tax and sales tax that come along with the increase in people with good jobs in the local community, and with the increase in spending within that local community.

Similar policy and abatements over the last several years, if not longer, have meant that Indiana has GROWN significantly with very good paying jobs. Many major companies are choosing Indiana for their new factories, expansions, and other new endeavors. Take a look at Indiana's health compared to some of our neighbors, and to many other states across the country. Those businesses look at a couple of things when trying to decide where to locate. Availability of an adequately skilled and capable workforce. Access to infrastructure and transportation. Favorable tax structure. Very simple formula really, not unlike what many people consider when moving to a new state.

Now, don't misconstrue that for pure Reaganomics or "Trickle Down" economics. We can't focus all of our policy at making breaks for the big corporations. However, the basic fundamentals of a thriving state is to have its citizens be gainfully employed, EARNING their living. Once people have those jobs, government funding through various taxes can be done without overly burdening any one portion of society, private or corporate.

I have no idea where people get this crazy idea that "big business is bad and should be punished and taxed to death." I don't understand why people constantly complain about how much they pay in taxes, while in the same breath complaining about how bad the roads are, how the teachers need a raise, how we should extend unemployment benefits. Then again, I don't understand our hand out society either...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yes, because you certainly don't benefit from the public education system unless you have kids.
    I fail to see how I do. It's not like government schools or compulsory attendance actually change the outcome that would result with no government schools and no compulsory attendance.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Chrysler averages about $2 million per year for their plant at the north end of Kokomo.
    Beacon - Howard County, IN

Of course the proponents of taxing business equipment never stop to think about how it effects the industries building that equipment. When a business thinks about buying a new press, the difference in tax cost factors into whether the business buys a new press or a used press. My factory always buys broke ass old stuff. Obviously the tax difference isn't the only factor but it plays a part.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, the political detractors of the elimination of the tax are afraid their gravy train will come to a stop. Instead of shifting the taxation burden from business to individuals they should be looking for ways to downsize government to do without the money they previously had access to. Sadly, they'll never do that, no matter which wing of the Boot On Your Neck party they're from. Downsize government and there's no issue. Sadly, the ones in the article I read on the tax, (not the Indy Star one) went right to the scare tactics of killing off fire and police. Sad that they've become the low hanging fruit of government cuts, instead of the multitude of local and state government offices that exist. I don't see the plan bringing in lots of out of state business, frankly, but cutting taxes on businesses and individuals is never a bad thing in my estimation.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I fail to see how I do. It's not like government schools or compulsory attendance actually change the outcome that would result with no government schools and no compulsory attendance.

We're a homeschool family ourselves, but we certainly benefit from the public education system. There's definitely a section of the population out there that given an option, would not take on any financial or personal burden to educate their children. A "free" public education is probably dollar for dollar one of the best investments made with our taxes. The system most definitely needs a serious overhall, but the overall idea behind it is solid.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Well, the political detractors of the elimination of the tax are afraid their gravy train will come to a stop. Instead of shifting the taxation burden from business to individuals they should be looking for ways to downsize government to do without the money they previously had access to. Sadly, they'll never do that, no matter which wing of the Boot On Your Neck party they're from. Downsize government and there's no issue. Sadly, the ones in the article I read on the tax, (not the Indy Star one) went right to the scare tactics of killing off fire and police. Sad that they've become the low hanging fruit of government cuts, instead of the multitude of local and state government offices that exist. I don't see the plan bringing in lots of out of state business, frankly, but cutting taxes on businesses and individuals is never a bad thing in my estimation.
    Police and Fire are the sacred cow that most conservatives are afraid of killing. Hence the play on it.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne

I'm all about reducing the size of our government, but I want to challenge your assertion that they're shifting the tax burden from businesses to individuals. ALL taxes are on individuals, it's only a matter of how they pay them. Either directly or through the cost of products every cent of tax collected comes from the pocket of a fellow citizen. If anything I prefer it when people are taxed directly because then their awareness of that fact is heightened (as evidenced by the existence of this thread) and hopefully they start to care enough to do something about it. I don't think corporate income taxes should exist.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm all about reducing the size of our government, but I want to challenge your assertion that they're shifting the tax burden from businesses to individuals. ALL taxes are on individuals, it's only a matter of how they pay them. Either directly or through the cost of products every cent of tax collected comes from the pocket of a fellow citizen. If anything I prefer it when people are taxed directly because then their awareness of that fact is heightened (as evidenced by the existence of this thread) and hopefully they start to care enough to do something about it. I don't think corporate income taxes should exist.
    Here's where we differ. I don't want to see any taxes on anyone, shifted or not. Downsizing government is the logical response, not the response that I saw in the politicians quoted. Yes, in the final analysis all taxes are paid by individuals, that's a given, but I see no need to keep the gravy train rolling, if Pence's suggestion should go forward, (even though he gave himself a cowardly out in the JC article I read). Cut government to cover the lost "revenue", don't shift taxes to individuals, families or anyone else.

Top Bottom