Parents can’t watch video classes but.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No, I am sure you do not get it. Hough is the one bowing to the opposition. Why would you hide in fear of a teacher when you are doing nothing illegal????? To concede to anyone that is anti 2A is just giving your rights away. Also, if I have a gripe with anybody, I prefer to have it out in public so everybody can see. The last time me and Hough had it it out in public, it was swept under the rug, quickly, and conveniently.

So for the good of the forum me taking your posts off the board was sweeping under the rug.

As I do understand how you feel and agree with some of your opinions we have "Limits" here. Imposed by the site owner.
    When staff "Asks" you to ease up/stand down please do. We are not NAZI's. We are Moderating the site under the existing rules as we define them.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    Just goes to show you how stupid the teacher was when she couldn't tell a BB gun from a real gun. Yes, these are the kind of people we have teaching our children. Makes a good point for home schooling. At the very least I would say it was a case of invasion of privacy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just goes to show you how stupid the teacher was when she couldn't tell a BB gun from a real gun. Yes, these are the kind of people we have teaching our children. Makes a good point for home schooling. At the very least I would say it was a case of invasion of privacy.

The current crop of "Teachers" seem to think they can do what ever they want in the name of the kids safety. I grow so weary of that statement.

Yes we want our kids safe but that pop tart will not outwardly hurt anyone lady.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

I doubt it was a mistake when they've had a history of acting against pointed fingers and partly eaten sandwiches shaped like guns. You can't say it is an invasion of privacy when you agreed to let them in. The real problem is a breaking of trust. In that case, it is time to fire the teacher and let the school system know about the failure. If they don't correct it, the fire the school system.

If your kid isn't important enough to find a way to get them their education while avoiding indoctrination into belief systems that you despise, then you have failed your child and will end up having to live with the results of that failure. We are seeing the result of that failure eat our cities today. Too many were ignorant (often willfully) of what was happening before. We no longer have that excuse.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Irrelevant, actually. Who cares what kind it was? Its home, not school, so who cares if there is a gun? or 20 guns? Or the gun on my hip as I am within view behind my child cooking lunch. Its MY home, not your classroom. We arent in Kansas anymore, Dorothy. Its legal here, so deal with it. You can have your GFZ when my kid is sitting back in your classroom when this is over.*

(*not really, We homeschool :): )

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    100% agree. I monitor all device use and whitelist/blacklist all internet activity. It took some research, but it was worth it. There is no device use in any personal areas and I take the WiFi power supply to bed nightly.

Regarding the topic at hand... My take is analogous with the cheating spouse idea. If it's something you don't want you wife/husband to hear/see, it's cheating. If you're teaching something you don't want parents to hear/see, you shouldn't be teaching it. I have some leeway if it's a collegiate political theory class for the purposes of understanding a particular stance, but for K-12 teachers pushing an agenda... nope.
    So.... you don't trust your children!?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    There are more fails than just the teacher here.
    how in the world do the police think they can or even should question a parent about something a teacher or principal told them (hearsay?)?
    The parent said she didn’t mind letting them search her house because they were nice about it and she had nothing to hide!? And she is a service member!!?
    So, we have a nosy teacher, a principal who thinks he has way more power and/or responsibility than he really does, a dispatcher who thinks this is police business, cops who think it’s ok to rummage around a kids bedroom... just because, and a parent(?) who thinks the nice polite policeman is just looking after her and her child’s best interest!?
    So much wrong here!!!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Be passin', yo.

FWIW, Matthew R Kay seems to care more about his activism than teaching, which makes him different than 99% of all teachers. Ergo, it's not fair to paint with broad brush all teachers as secretive. I'd hazard to guess that most teachers would be thrilled if parents took at least a passing interest in what was being taught.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So.... you don't trust your children!?

I know my kid. I don't know all the other a**holes out there, but I do know that some of them, like a current presidential candidate, have a thing for little kids.

There are more fails than just the teacher here.
    how in the world do the police think they can or even should question a parent about something a teacher or principal told them (hearsay?)?
    The parent said she didn’t mind letting them search her house because they were nice about it and she had nothing to hide!? And she is a service member!!?
    So, we have a nosy teacher, a principal who thinks he has way more power and/or responsibility than he really does, a dispatcher who thinks this is police business, cops who think it’s ok to rummage around a kids bedroom... just because, and a parent(?) who thinks the nice polite policeman is just looking after her and her child’s best interest!?
    So much wrong here!!!

Teacher was wrong, absolutely. Principal, likewise. The dispatcher.... Can't really tell a caller to pound sand, on the off-chance there is more going on than is in the report. (example: I can't tell you how many times when I was on the ambulance I was dispatched to a "heart attack" that was actually anything from a fainting spell to a diabetic to a stroke. One time, I was sent on a "man hit by a car". When we turned him onto his back, I found the bullet wound in his chest and we started CPR. Point? Callers are often wrong. Can you imagine what hay the papers would make with a police dept that failed to respond?

The officer might have seen the screen shot, might not, but from what I can tell, poked his head in, made sure the kid wasn't like, duct taped to a wall, being forced to sit in his own feces, etc. and praised him for his responsibility. Did the kid need the praise of a person he didn't know? Of course not, but I bet he felt good hearing it. And as I said, the parent could have stopped this whole charade by saying, "Wanna come in? It's OK as soon as you have a warrant. Not before."

Me, I think I'd consider suing. Not because I think the school district should make me independently wealthy, but because I want to force them to get some education of their own, on boundaries and limits of their purview. I wouldn't turn down some cash, if awarded, but I wouldn't be seeking it.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    My problem with this whole thing is that it is taken as a matter of course that the teacher has the authority to tell a parent that he or she is unwelcome, can be called an "outsider" or even "dangerous" by the teachers, and at no time does the little light go on at the corner of their eye, saying "Maybe this is a bad idea". You can't come into my classroom and comment or even listen, but I, the teacher, can send agents of the state to your home to force you to prove yourself innocent of the charges I've leveled against you.

As for Matthew R Kay, he was far from the only "educator" who embraced the ideas he voiced.

Be passin', yo.

FWIW, Matthew R Kay seems to care more about his activism than teaching, which makes him different than 99% of all teachers. Ergo, it's not fair to paint with broad brush all teachers as secretive. I'd hazard to guess that most teachers would be thrilled if parents took at least a passing interest in what was being taught.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Be passin', yo.

I'm got salt and buttah, keep it coming.

Our oldest daughter has a first year teacher. Sometimes I think he wants us homeschool parents to sit in so he can ask for advice.

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    Irrelevant, actually. Who cares what kind it was? Its home, not school, so who cares if there is a gun? or 20 guns? Or the gun on my hip as I am within view behind my child cooking lunch. Its MY home, not your classroom. We arent in Kansas anymore, Dorothy. Its legal here, so deal with it. You can have your GFZ when my kid is sitting back in your classroom when this is over.*

(*not really, We homeschool :): )
    You're right it is irrelevant. It wasn't any of the teachers business. I remember when my son came home from school and told us the lesson of the day was, "Guns are evil"". If you see a gun in the house report it immediately. I grew up on a farm. Hell, everyone had a gun in the house. You never knew when you might need to grab it to dispatch a varmint or to put food on the table. None of us turned out bad.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The current crop of "Teachers" seem to think they can do what ever they want in the name of the kids safety. I grow so weary of that statement.

Yes we want our kids safe but that pop tart will not outwardly hurt anyone lady.

Some teachers have come to think of themselves as the "parent".
    Just as many in the government have come to think of themselves as the "parent" of society.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My wife has been in the corporate world for the last 35 years. About two years ago she was part of a 750 person downsize. She took her six months severance to decide what she wanted to do for the last 10 or so years before retirement.

She started substituting at our grandkids elementary school. Then an opportunity for a long term placement in an extreme special needs middle school class came open. After two months the teacher resigned and my wife was given an emergency teaching license. It was called transition to teaching.

She enrolled in the required Masters Program and the school is picking up the tab. All of this has been a blessing for her to finally get her dream job.

There has been a lot of back and forth on virtual or in person class time. Lots of meeting with parents about what’s best for the children. One parent said I pay my taxes for the teachers to teach my kids so why should I have to help them at home.

This person obviously doesn’t know what a teacher makes. My wife took a 60% pay cut to become a teacher. She buys most of her own supplies, drives for hours each week delivering packets to students that don’t have WiFi or the ability to use an iPad.

Parents and students call or text her seven days a week and as late as 9:00 pm in the evenings. I can assure you that she’s not after anybody’s tax dollars, she’s trying to make a difference.

Because her students or extreme special needs they don’t understand boundaries. They ask if they can come over or when they ask her what she’s doing and she says getting ready to go to the store. They ask if they can go with her. I have watched her interact with these kids and it takes a special person to protect them without breaking their spirit.

Being a teacher has lots of responsibilities and rules to adhere to. Some rules are a judgement call. Having good judgment comes from wisdom.

Yes I married out of my league.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    My wife has been in the corporate world for the last 35 years. About two years ago she was part of a 750 person downsize. She took her six months severance to decide what she wanted to do for the last 10 or so years before retirement.

She started substituting at our grandkids elementary school. Then an opportunity for a long term placement in an extreme special needs middle school class came open. After two months the teacher resigned and my wife was given an emergency teaching license. It was called transition to teaching.

She enrolled in the required Masters Program and the school is picking up the tab. All of this has been a blessing for her to finally get her dream job.

There has been a lot of back and forth on virtual or in person class time. Lots of meeting with parents about what’s best for the children. One parent said I pay my taxes for the teachers to teach my kids so why should I have to help them at home.

This person obviously doesn’t know what a teacher makes. My wife took a 60% pay cut to become a teacher. She buys most of her own supplies, drives for hours each week delivering packets to students that don’t have WiFi or the ability to use an iPad.

Parents and students call or text her seven days a week and as late as 9:00 pm in the evenings. I can assure you that she’s not after anybody’s tax dollars, she’s trying to make a difference.

Because her students or extreme special needs they don’t understand boundaries. They ask if they can come over or when they ask her what she’s doing and she says getting ready to go to the store. They ask if they can go with her. I have watched her interact with these kids and it takes a special person to protect them without breaking their spirit.

Being a teacher has lots of responsibilities and rules to adhere to. Some rules are a judgement call. Having good judgment comes from wisdom.

I mean no insult to you when I say that you definitely did.

Would you be so kind as to tell your wife "Thank you" from me?

Blessings,
    Bill

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Some teachers have come to think of themselves as the "parent".
    Just as many in the government have come to think of themselves as the "parent" of society.

I think it has less to do with domineering, and more of compassion.

When a kid's parent ignores them, won't care for them (including feeding), abuses them, etc., etc. ...

Ditto. My wife had a similar trajectory, albeit with shorter times.

For INGO, teachers seem to be on par with lawyers, politicians and used car salesmen in terms of reputation.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Parents, check your Zoom settings. I believe that they have custom backgrounds that you can use if you don't want people to see what is behind you, or in this case your children.

Teachers need to know that even though they work for a school district, it is our taxes that pay their salaries therefore we are their employer and have every right to know what they are teaching.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Parents, check your Zoom settings. I believe that they have custom backgrounds that you can use if you don't want people to see what is behind you, or in this case your children.

Teachers need to know that even though they work for a school district, it is our taxes that pay their salaries therefore we are their employer and have every right to know what they are teaching.

I tried that phrase to get out a speeding ticket once. :rolleyes:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    For INGO, teachers seem to be on par with lawyers, politicians and used car salesmen in terms of reputation.

Nope, more on a par with police, fire fighters, EMTs

The good ones need to be paid more, the bad ones need to be weeded out and neither they nor any government employee should consider themselves to be tasked with raising our children or feel they should substitute their personal philosophies for those of the parents

Top Bottom