Parents can’t watch video classes but.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So it was recently posted from Matt Walsh that a teacher, one Matthew R Kay, was bemoaning the fact that parents might be able to listen in on classes and hear the indoctrinations. Parents were called “dangerous” and “outsiders”. Some schools are even having parents sign papers that they will not watch or record, ostensibly to protect the privacy of the other students.

and then in light of that, here came this story:

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politi...ear-olds-home-after-spotting-a-bb-gun-n518679

I’m thinking the spying teacher would be in for a tongue lashing. At a minimum.
    Thoughts?

Blessings,
    Bill

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    This has shades of scientology to it...

Very cult like message being spread here.
    This is not a new thing. We have been calling them State appointed indoctrination centers for a while now.

quote-only-a-fool-would-let-his-enemy-teach-his-children-malcolm-x-80-86-99.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    In training about pedophiles, they tell you to tell your kid not to trust anyone that tells them to keep secrets from their parents.

So..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In training about pedophiles, they tell you to tell your kid not to trust anyone that tells them to keep secrets from their parents.

So..

Yeah, I think I'd go VERY public locally with the screen shot thing, and while I may stop short of accusing the teacher of pedophilia, I would do everything I could to sow doubt in the minds of other parents about them. And then I'd put a piece of tape over the camera lense on the computer.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I see a market developing for fold up screens reminiscent of the old home movie screens. I know if I ever had to do a Zoom meeting I would put up a back drop so all they could see is my face and a plain background. My house and I didn't invite you in.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We have very strict rules about video conferencing in our house. There is a specific location, with a known background, that either my child, or my wife and I, use for school-related video. It is also a place that is VERY easy for my wife and I to monitor. No chat or video in bedrooms, period. No chat or video with my child unless I am present, period.

Granted, we are home-schooling, and using a curriculum provider that only occasionally does video (mostly email and in-course messages, which we can easily monitor). We do occasionally use Outschool, which has their own video conference rules (eg: no other people in background, and no recording).

Public schools, and even some privates, seem to be forgetting their role. They are assuming some form of authority, which they do not have. Not to be confused with responsibility.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    We have very strict rules about video conferencing in our house. There is a specific location, with a known background, that either my child, or my wife and I, use for school-related video. It is also a place that is VERY easy for my wife and I to monitor. No chat or video in bedrooms, period. No chat or video with my child unless I am present, period.

Granted, we are home-schooling, and using a curriculum provider that only occasionally does video (mostly email and in-course messages, which we can easily monitor). We do occasionally use Outschool, which has their own video conference rules (eg: no other people in background, and no recording).

Public schools, and even some privates, seem to be forgetting their role. They are assuming some form of authority, which they do not have. Not to be confused with responsibility.

100% agree. I monitor all device use and whitelist/blacklist all internet activity. It took some research, but it was worth it. There is no device use in any personal areas and I take the WiFi power supply to bed nightly.

Regarding the topic at hand... My take is analogous with the cheating spouse idea. If it's something you don't want you wife/husband to hear/see, it's cheating. If you're teaching something you don't want parents to hear/see, you shouldn't be teaching it. I have some leeway if it's a collegiate political theory class for the purposes of understanding a particular stance, but for K-12 teachers pushing an agenda... nope.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So it was recently posted from Matt Walsh that a teacher, one Matthew R Kay, was bemoaning the fact that parents might be able to listen in on classes and hear the indoctrinations. Parents were called “dangerous” and “outsiders”. Some schools are even having parents sign papers that they will not watch or record, ostensibly to protect the privacy of the other students.

and then in light of that, here came this story:

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politi...ear-olds-home-after-spotting-a-bb-gun-n518679

I’m thinking the spying teacher would be in for a tongue lashing. At a minimum.
    Thoughts?

Blessings,
    Bill

This seems like an exceedingly easy issue to resolve...with the caveat that people have to want to resolve it and must exercise a little common sense.

As to whether parents can view/record classes. Sure they can. If a parent wanted to sit in on their child's class at some point, they would be allowed to. They cannot make noise or disrupt.

As to the reporting the BB gun thing, here's the rule: nothing is in view of the camera that you couldn't have sitting on your desk in the classroom.

Done and done.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    This seems like an exceedingly easy issue to resolve...with the caveat that people have to want to resolve it and must exercise a little common sense.

As to whether parents can view/record classes. Sure they can. If a parent wanted to sit in on their child's class at some point, they would be allowed to. They cannot make noise or disrupt.

As to the reporting the BB gun thing, here's the rule: nothing is in view of the camera that you couldn't have sitting on your desk in the classroom.

Done and done.

I agree with your first response about going to the class room but I’m having a little problem with someone’s home being the same view as the school classroom. Yes it will make the sheep feel safe but what about my home my castle. What if the deer mount on the wall is offensive, the picture of Great grandpa in the war sitting on a tank with his buddies holding rifles.

I don’t have kids at home anymore but do have grandkids that visit sometimes during the week and have video conferences at my house. This has me thinking about a backdrop. Hmmm what should be on the back drop....... NRA banner, Trump 2020 banner, Blue Lives Matter, a picture of them at the range with guns or a field of flowers with lots of butterflies?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    People have different opinions, sure.

...but schools need rules and having a blank or bland background is pretty easy and protects the child's and parents' privacy.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Hough, I see where you're coming from, and it makes some level of sense. Alternatively, part of me says, "HELL F***ING NO!" in that 1) You are the school, the teacher. You are allowed access to MY child to teach a lesson or provide something either that I cannot or choose not to for the purpose of my child's enrichment. You do not make dictates about who is allowed to hear or see the proceedings; if privacy of others is a concern, then perhaps the class should not openly conference on a subject, but rather do so with the teacher, who can relay what another student said anonymously. The teacher can hear all students, the students can only hear the teacher directly, but however it is set up, the school is not permitted to dictate what I watch or what I record. Not now, not ever. (It's akin to police saying that the citizenry cannot record their actions in a public place.)

2) This is MY home. You do not dicatate what I am allowed to have, own, possess, under any circumstance. If I walk through the room with a pistol on my hip, **I AM IN MY HOME!** If the teacher becomes aware of actual abuse of my child, yes, they have a duty to report that. That I understand. I have a similar duty as a nurse and had that same duty as a medic. Mere ownership of an item that is lawfully sold in stores every day is not an abuse, nor does it call for a report. The parent should have told the officer who wanted to search the house to go get a warrant. There are no exigent circumstances. The child is in no danger. I do not fault the officer for answering a call, and the refusal of entry is without malice. Kind of like if I've paid for products at walmart, the greeter has no right to see my receipt, nor to inspect my purchases. If you think I'm committing a crime, make your play, but expect that charges of false arrest will follow.

How did we get to the idea that a visitor allowed into the home may dictate the placement of objects within it, or what the owner may do therein?

Blessings,
    Bill

Done and done.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Hough, I see where you're coming from, and it makes some level of sense. Alternatively, part of me says, "HELL F***ING NO!" in that 1) You are the school, the teacher. You are allowed access to MY child to teach a lesson or provide something either that I cannot or choose not to for the purpose of my child's enrichment. You do not make dictates about who is allowed to hear or see the proceedings; if privacy of others is a concern, then perhaps the class should not openly conference on a subject, but rather do so with the teacher, who can relay what another student said anonymously. The teacher can hear all students, the students can only hear the teacher directly, but however it is set up, the school is not permitted to dictate what I watch or what I record. Not now, not ever. (It's akin to police saying that the citizenry cannot record their actions in a public place.)

2) This is MY home. You do not dicatate what I am allowed to have, own, possess, under any circumstance. If I walk through the room with a pistol on my hip, **I AM IN MY HOME!** If the teacher becomes aware of actual abuse of my child, yes, they have a duty to report that. That I understand. I have a similar duty as a nurse and had that same duty as a medic. Mere ownership of an item that is lawfully sold in stores every day is not an abuse, nor does it call for a report. The parent should have told the officer who wanted to search the house to go get a warrant. There are no exigent circumstances. The child is in no danger. I do not fault the officer for answering a call, and the refusal of entry is without malice. Kind of like if I've paid for products at walmart, the greeter has no right to see my receipt, nor to inspect my purchases. If you think I'm committing a crime, make your play, but expect that charges of false arrest will follow.

How did we get to the idea that a visitor allowed into the home may dictate the placement of objects within it, or what the owner may do therein?

Blessings,
    Bill

Cause um, guns are bad. And Hough is just showing his true colors, yet again. And nobody acknowledges it. Well, thank god this is not a gun forum or anything like that,

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Cause um, guns are bad. And Hough is just showing his true colors, yet again. And nobody acknowledges it. Well, thank god this is not a gun forum or anything like that,

No. I get it. Hough is recognizing the reality on the ground. The fact is that it is the government schools, and many teachers are anti-gun. I understand that. I don't have to like it to understand it. My objection is on principle, and I am fully aware that taking on this adversary is akin to Don Quixote tilting at windmills.

It should not be like that, but it is.

Also.... If you have a gripe with Hough, discuss it with him privately like adults. Making this about him (or anyone else, including you) is not productive nor conducive to good discussion.

Thanks for your cooperation and assistance.

Blessings,
    Bill

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    No. I get it. Hough is recognizing the reality on the ground. The fact is that it is the government schools, and many teachers are anti-gun. I understand that. I don't have to like it to understand it. My objection is on principle, and I am fully aware that taking on this adversary is akin to Don Quixote tilting at windmills.

It should not be like that, but it is.

Also.... If you have a gripe with Hough, discuss it with him privately like adults. Making this about him (or anyone else, including you) is not productive nor conducive to good discussion.

Thanks for your cooperation and assistance.

Blessings,
    Bill
    No, I am sure you do not get it. Hough is the one bowing to the opposition. Why would you hide in fear of a teacher when you are doing nothing illegal????? To concede to anyone that is anti 2A is just giving your rights away. Also, if I have a gripe with anybody, I prefer to have it out in public so everybody can see. The last time me and Hough had it it out in public, it was swept under the rug, quickly, and conveniently.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    It is you who does not get it. Recognizing the reality of the fact that they are agents of the state and their report to police of a need for a search WILL be heeded. It’s like arguing with the officer at the roadside: you will never win that argument. So while there, you have your recorder on in your pocket, you say “yes sir”/“no sir”, and you take it up later in court.
    As I said, the child’s parent should have insisted on a warrant. That’s a battle you can sometimes win, sometimes not, depending on the judge. To obtain that warrant, the teacher has to reveal that s/he is taking screenshots of students’ bedrooms, and that starts to raise some serious red flags.

As it happens in this case, the kid was commended and the teacher’s actions were brought to light... win/win.

As for you having your arguments in public, I asked you to handle it like an adult, discuss issues, not people, and do it privately. This has nothing to do with Hough or you. This is a general statement. My job here is to moderate. I am moderating. I tried asking. Now I’m telling. Take it to PM or keep it to yourself. Use your ignore list if you have to, but the arguments on the board are unnecessary and paint us all in a bad light.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Blessings,
    Bill

No, I am sure you do not get it. Hough is the one bowing to the opposition. Why would you hide in fear of a teacher when you are doing nothing illegal????? To concede to anyone that is anti 2A is just giving your rights away. Also, if I have a gripe with anybody, I prefer to have it out in public so everybody can see. The last time me and Hough had it it out in public, it was swept under the rug, quickly, and conveniently.

Top Bottom